Show me your emergency / hand brake calipers

The wheel bearing feels solid. It's definitely coming from the e-brake pad somewhere.

When I remove the wheel, spacer, disc... and only have the e-brake exposed, I turn it by hand and hear a click coming from the e-brake pad somewhere. But I can't tell where the heck it's coming from.

I'll open it up again and check the things Alan mentioned.

Thanks guys.

Thank you all for the E brake info.

On my CAV with the wilwood caliper E brake I have issues.

If the pads are adjusted close enough to the rotor the E brake works well
but the E brake pads drag and sounds like Louis Armstrong is playing the
trumpet behind my head.

When I adjust the pads away from the rotor the E brake no longer trumpets but it also no longer is effective.

Any ideas?

Thank You

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you all for the E brake info.

On my CAV with the wilwood caliper E brake I have issues.

If the pads are adjusted close enough to the rotor the E brake works well
but the E brake pads drag and sounds like Louis Armstrong is playing the
trumpet behind my head.

When I adjust the pads away from the rotor the E brake no longer trumpets but it also no longer is effective.

Any ideas?

Thank You

Eric - I'm not familiar with CAV's Wilwood setup but have you tried installing a return spring on the spot caliper arm? I'm using them on a different car but have found that if a return spring is added it can reduce pad drag.

Regards,
Dave L

Talked to Dennis today and he mentioned that the 4mm bolts that hold the locating blocks for the E brake should either be lengthened and loctited or replaced with 10/32 bolts and helicoils. Since some of my 4mm bolts were starting to bend I like the 10/32 option. Has anyone done this and if so where did you get the heli kit. I'm having trouble finding one locally.

Rich.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Talked to Dennis today and he mentioned that the 4mm bolts that hold the locating blocks for the E brake should either be lengthened and loctited or replaced with 10/32 bolts and helicoils. Since some of my 4mm bolts were starting to bend I like the 10/32 option. Has anyone done this and if so where did you get the heli kit. I'm having trouble finding one locally.

Rich.

I've been able to find helicoil kits in most chain auto parts stores (eg any Napa, I would think), but under the name "perma coil" in a long skinny (10 x 1 x 1) blue bubble package usually hanging on a rack. However, these days tend to buy all that stuff mail order from Mcmaster Carr:

McMaster-Carr

FWIW my plan is to stay metric and use a solid (as opposed to helical wire) threaded insert. But that's more a personal preference thing.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I replaced with 10-32 and nylocks. The helicoils is a good idea but why take the chance Alan?

Because the backs of my uprights are not flat where the nut would be. I did consider trying to file it flat in situ, using some kind of jury-rigged "filing guide".*

Maybe if I do that, even if it's not perfectly flat, it's better than thread inserts. What do you think? Actually that would probably be easier than drilling (square!) and tapping and inserting. And I already bought the hardened washers to used under the nuts.... (covering my bets)

Besides, my *real* solution is to make/have made new housings that fasten to the "extra" caliper lugs.

*(I really don't want to take the upright out to go to a machine shop!)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Because the backs of my uprights are not flat where the nut would be. I did consider trying to file it flat in situ, using some kind of jury-rigged "filing guide".*

Maybe if I do that, even if it's not perfectly flat, it's better than thread inserts. What do you think? Actually that would probably be easier than drilling (square!) and tapping and inserting. And I already bought the hardened washers to used under the nuts.... (covering my bets)

Besides, my *real* solution is to make/have made new housings that fasten to the "extra" caliper lugs.

*(I really don't want to take the upright out to go to a machine shop!)
You know I just put a thin head 10-32 bolt through and a nylock on the back, its been some time and no problems from either side. They make some philips head 10-32 that would go all the way through and still put a nylock on it and I am sure that would hold up too. My issue with this is that when or if they back out it will cause the e brake drum to grab and cause some real problem like the others and I have had, so any fix that secures the apparatus to the uprights is better than what we have. If you been to any high speed in your car this type thing is the first thing floating around in your mind.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
A couple weeks ago a friend reported using his handbrake in his driveway, and, just like in the cases reported above, having it come apart internally, jam, and break off an upright mounting ear. This was after he followed all the advice about loctiting and tightening the small fasteners, etc.

So with that I decided to put the rest of my build on hold and do something serious about this serious problem.

I purchased a mechanical parking brake caliper set from IPSCO (Mechanical Parking Brake Calipers) and after a couple iterations of bracket design with proprietor Mark Johnson, now have a neat, clean, and easy-bolt-on parking/emergency brake that not only can be used for parking but I believe is much less likely to self-destruct than the original "situation" (see above for scary/gory details.) I'm also pretty sure that, despite IPSCO's disclaimers, it will function well as an emergency brake. According to my research it has a good reputation in the Pantera and Viper world, and got a good review elsewhere on this forum: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/31946-parking-brake.html#post301518 about a year ago.

Parking%20Brake5.jpg

One side effect of this you may not like is that the design and machining quality of this unit is so beautiful that it stands out from the rest of my GT40; it's easily the prettiest component on the entire car. So to maintain visual harmony you may want to kick yours up and down the street a few times before you install it.

Here's how it connects to our cable:

actuation from above.jpg actuation from the side.jpg

It bolts to the forward caliper mounting ears on your upright that hopefully were machined and threaded so your upright could be used on either side of the car. Fasteners are M10-1.5, 25 mm long, eg Mcmaster 90854A189. (not supplied)

And, by the way, you have the option of having your logo engraved on caliper.

Anyway, if you want one call Mark up and ask him for a setup with the brackets he made for me.

Last edited:

john bach

GT40s Supporter
having trouble with my SPF 2116 on left rear park brake when actuator came adrift and broke both mtg ears off. reading all these blogs bout original actuators has caused me to stop trying to buy new actuator and consider what you have done. do you have pics of your new IPSCO park brake installed? does it mount in the old park brake actuator holes in the original SPF upright? anything special i need to do to use IPSCO pieces?
[email protected]..... 805-488-4536

John,
Alan Watkins no longer posts on this forum. Hopefully someone else with knowledge of the IPSCO item will answer.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
John,

Attached you find my solution with a brembo caliper.

This upgrade needs a adapter plate between SPF upright an the Brembo caliper.

I tried to upload a detailed description but the upload failed (pdf-file with 4.2MB limit ist 19MB???)

I will try later today again.

Markus

Attachments

• DSCN1372.jpg
    DSCN1372.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 596

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
here we go...

Took a while, had to split into 3 parts.

Appolgies upfront if my technical English is confusing....

Markus

P.S Kudos to all the build threats - it's quite challenging to take the right picture at the right time to create a good story.....

Attachments

• 2014-08-31_Emergency Brake V1.0 - Part 1 of 3.pdf
    783.6 KB · Views: 838
  • 2014-08-31_Emergency Brake V1.0 - Part 2 of 3.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 456
  • 2014-08-31_Emergency Brake V1.0 - Part 3 of 3.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 511
Back