Side window / headlight cover installation advice

My KVA is now having its bodywork prepared for spraying and I have just finished cutting the side windows, headlight covers and rear screen to shape. I would like to know how to seal the joint between the bodywork and the new covers. Could anyone advise on how this is done.

When I bought the car it had self tapping screws, thin self adhesive foam and clear silicon around the edges. Apart from looking crap I really dont want to spoil the car after spending all this time getting it sorted. I am sure if this part is not done correct it will look awful. I have made a good job of cutting them to shape and drilling the fixing holes but I really need guidance on the correct installation method.

The car is going to be Gulf colours (sorry!!, I know there are too many already) so the headlight / rear glass sections are going to be satin black in colour. What should be used should be used to match in with this??????

Any help guys would be great.

Regards

Simon

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Simon

2 schools of thought here

Both will suggest rivnuts as you will want to remove them at some stage for cleaning, dusting, and water removal

1) Black off the underside of the edge of the lamp covers and this will hide the sealer / foam or whatever you use The screw / bolt size is then largely immaterial
2) Leave the cover as is but use rivnuts that are non countersunk and hence proud of the glassfiber This will allow air to curculate and require less removals for dry outs etc. The bolts on this one would require slightly larger heads to hide the rivnuts when viewed above

Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian

I will track down these rivnuts you have suggested as they sound ideal. I had thought about what happens if you need to remove them at any time. I also agree that it makes sense to have an air flow around them if possible. I must put on my thinking cap and see what I could use the black off the underside of the covers. This is a job I want to do right to improve the overall finish of the car. When I bought it last year the bad fitment of the existing ones really lowered the tone. It certainly was no fun cutting out the new covers, quite expensive items to damage if you have butter fingers!!

By the way, congratz on the swift completion of your GT40. I have been watching your build thread with great interest. I hope all goes well on you next SVA test and it passes with flying colours. I can't wait to finally have a go in mine, it is now going to be a long three weeks for me.

I had a refit of the bodywork last night to do some final cutouts before it goes to the prep shop. After a year of having it in bits it was fantastic to see it all together again. I had forgotten just how good they look in the flesh. Hopefully with my new cross over exhaust it will also have the noise to match.

Regards

Simon

I think there are a few other threads on this topic; I recommend a search.

What I've done (similar to what several others have also done) is to countersink the holes in the plexiglass and use 8-32 stainless steel internal wrenching screws. Rather than rivnuts, I'm drilling and tapping the GRP for 8-32 helicoils, which I install with the smallest dab of epoxy. I'm using 1/16" foam tape on the GRP mounting surface and painting the inner 3/4" of the inside of the headlamp covers black. The countersunk, internally wrenched fasteners look nice when properly done. You have to be careful to drill your pilot hole normal to the GRP mounting surface, otherwise the screw head will be somewhat tilted in the countersunk hole in the plexiglass.

Back