SLC Aftermarket Seat Option

Dave,

Not having my SL-C delivered as yet, from most of the photos you and others have posted it seems one of the most critical dimensions is the shoulder height and "take-off" of the headrest, the angle of the shoulder-to-headrest top and the width at the top of the headrest since these appear to be most influenced by the sloping roofline. I was hoping that the narrow width of the Sportster CS headrest at the top and it's angle from the shoulder would allow a little more height (1.3"?).

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,

Not having my SL-C delivered as yet, from most of the photos you and others have posted it seems one of the most critical dimensions is the shoulder height and "take-off" of the headrest, the angle of the shoulder-to-headrest top and the width at the top of the headrest since these appear to be most influenced by the sloping roofline. I was hoping that the narrow width of the Sportster CS headrest at the top and it's angle from the shoulder would allow a little more height (1.3"?).

Doc -

Anything is possible. It is difficult to tell for sure what will fit without actually positioning the seat in the car. Here are some base dimensions - and these are very basic considering all of the compound curves involved. These are taken at the firewall, perpendicular to the floor on the passenger side (most restrictive).

33.25" to top edge of side window opening.
33.75" to inner door between the window top edge and where the door meets the body.
34.25" to door/body mating line.
33.75" to the roll bar.

I guess part of it depends on if you will maintain the seat in a reclined position. If so, then a taller seat may fit. If you ever want to tilt the seatback forward then I think fitting a taller seat will pose a problem. I could be wrong but I think that any reclining aftermarket seat will have to be modified to get it to fit and to allow it to fully tilt forward. Please note that these measurementrs are taken without the roof liner that is included with the interior package. To my knowledge, no one has received this piece yet.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Resurrecting this very old thread. My SLC project has been sitting idle because I'm focusing on the rebuild of a modified Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special. The newly upholstered Lotus seats have been sitting on the floor in front of the SLC. On a whim I thought "what the hell - let's see how they look in the SLC!".

Holly crap - they look like they were made for the car! Plenty of clearance everywhere, the incline matches the firewall with the seat sitting flat on the floor, and they are very similar in shape and size to the stock seat. The difference is these are not quite as tight in the hip area and nowhere near as tight in the shoulders. While I've had limited seat time in a Europa and can tell you that the seats are very comfortable and offer good support. Obviously, they aren't racing seats but for a street car these may be just the ticket.

Food for thought.......
Dave L

Attachments

• Lotus TCS Seat Compared to Stock SLC Seat.JPG
    Lotus TCS Seat Compared to Stock SLC Seat.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 589
  • Lotus TCS Seat in SLC Driver's Side View.JPG
    Lotus TCS Seat in SLC Driver's Side View.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 532
  • Lotus TCS Seat in SLC Seat Back View.JPG
    Lotus TCS Seat in SLC Seat Back View.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 535
  • Lotus TCS Seat in SLC Side View.JPG
    Lotus TCS Seat in SLC Side View.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 610
Maybe a dumb question, but is it unsafe to trim the fiberglass on aftermarket seats?

Obviously, then the covers would have to be tailored, but probably not a big deal. I have some EVO 2s that I suspect could be trimmed to fit and still look good. The shoulder wing and head could easily be cut. Then again, if strength is compromised then no. I haven't looked at the shells without the covers. That would probably reveal the answer.

Those Tillets look like maybe the answer, if the stock ones won't suffice.

Doug

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Here's another possibility - though they would require cutting down the headrest height by about 3". The seats are from a 2005 Lotus Elise, black leather, pneumatic lumbar support.

Max width at the base = 16.75" vs 19" stock
Max width at shoulders = 19.25" vs 22" stock
Max seat cushion height = 3.5" (this is a "cushion") vs 2" (rigid - without upholstery)

I'm thinking the headrest (fiberglass) could be sectioned and re-glassed and the upholstery modified to fit. Note that the Elise seat is slightly reclined in the photos to compensate for the headrest height. Here are some pictures:

Dave L

Attachments

• Lotus Elise vs Stock Seat Side-by-Side 2.JPG
    Lotus Elise vs Stock Seat Side-by-Side 2.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 590
  • Stock Driver's Side Seat in SLC.JPG
    Stock Driver's Side Seat in SLC.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 495
  • Elise Seat Driver's Side.JPG
    Elise Seat Driver's Side.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 539
  • Elise Seat Door Clearance Driver's Side.JPG
    Elise Seat Door Clearance Driver's Side.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 497
  • Stock Seat Headroom Driver's Side.JPG
    Stock Seat Headroom Driver's Side.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 492
  • Elise Seat Door Clearance Passenger Side.JPG
    Elise Seat Door Clearance Passenger Side.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 472
  • Elise Seat Steering Wheel Orientation.JPG
    Elise Seat Steering Wheel Orientation.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 461
  • Elise vs Stock Cushion Height.JPG
    Elise vs Stock Cushion Height.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Elise vs Stock Headrest Height.JPG
    Elise vs Stock Headrest Height.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 389
My Lotus seats are not that comfortable at all. I would think that would be just like the stock SLC seats and not a great option for us. Where is Fran's picture of his more street seat setup I thought he was coming out with? I have faith in Fran.

I have been looking real hard for seats that would fit me and I think I have found some from performance world it's there Pro seat and very reasonably priced at $229.00 each. They fit but the passenger side
is just a little tighter then I like so I am having them altered slightly. I will post some pic's when I get them back. Very much like Allan's.
Cheers,

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I have been looking real hard for seats that would fit me and I think I have found some from performance world it's there Pro seat and very reasonably priced at $229.00 each. They fit but the passenger side
is just a little tighter then I like so I am having them altered slightly. I will post some pic's when I get them back. Very much like Allan's.
Cheers,

I've looked at the size chart for these - how do your legs fit between the seat and the bottom of the steering wheel - or are you having the seat cushion shaved? It looks like the cushion height is 6" at the front? The width looks perfect at 19" and the height looks pretty good at 34" though I could see the width of the headrest causing some issues on the passenger's side. What are your impressions of the quality of the seat? They are definitely a bargain at that price. I'm sure the price for Recaro seats is partly due to the name - but the quality is also very high.

What alterations are you having done? Please post some pictures and give your impressions when you get them back.

Regards,
Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Another seat eliminated - Lotus Esprit seats (S1, S2, Turbo, SE, V8 - they all use the same basic frame). A friend was kind enough to let me trial fit his SE and V8 seats - it didn't take long to figure out they won't fit - the seat base is too long and the upper part of the seat is too wide. The search continues.....

Dave L

Attachments

• Esprit V8 vs Stock.JPG
    Esprit V8 vs Stock.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 354
  • Esprit V8 vs Stock Seat Pan Length.JPG
    Esprit V8 vs Stock Seat Pan Length.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Esprit V8 SLC Pass Side - Door Won't Close.JPG
    Esprit V8 SLC Pass Side - Door Won't Close.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 370

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Seat rails - I've observed a number of posts on other threads relating to seats regarding seat rails. IMO, the seats should be mounted directly to the floor. There is not enough room on the driver's side to move the seat forward without getting too close to the steering wheel and there is no need to move the seat forward on the passenger side. Driver / pedal orientation should be achieved by moving the pedals - not the seat. The other issue is seat height - you need all you can get and seat rails take away from it.

Just my .02

Dave L

The Bride Stradia seats fit in the SL-C very well. It's how you would fit in the Bride seat that's the issue. They are very tight in the shoulder/rib area, perfect for aggresive track driving but not comfortable getting into and out of. They look great and fit the car's style but it's whether you'd be comfortable in them or not.
2 BRIDE STRADIA VERSION II LOW MAX BLACK RACING SEATS | eBay

The Cipher Racing seats also fit in the SL-C. Plenty of room in the shoulder/rib and leg area. Problem is they have too much padding in the seat bottom and back so although the seat itself fits nicely I'd say if you're over 5'9 the padding will place your head up too high.
CPA1019 Black Cloth w/ Outer Grey Stitching Cipher Auto Racing Seats - Pair [CPA1019FBK-G] - $399.00 : Cipher Auto!, Automotive Parts Accessories & Universal Racing Seats

Now that cipher seat is something that I can see in my SLC. Now we are talking. I have been wIting for the day when being short would work put well. 5-6. Yahoo for me, finally, so there tall people, which is almost everyone to me.

Can anyone confirm they will fit in the pass side?

Now that cipher seat is something that I can see in my SLC. Now we are talking. I have been wIting for the day when being short would work put well. 5-6. Yahoo for me, finally, so there tall people, which is almost everyone to me.

Can anyone confirm they will fit in the pass side?

I have the Cipher seats in my SL-C right now. They come close to the door on the pass. side but fit nicely. The seat backs are adjustable and will move through the range without touching.

Allan, that is good to here and know. Are they comfortable? Theses are my planned seats now.

edit- Allan, how did you mount yours? Did you have to buy a mount, make your own or just bolt it to the floor yourself. Pics?

Last edited:
Back