Spacer question

Re: Spacer question / Wheel studs removal ?

[ QUOTE ]
WD40 IS NOT an effective penetrant. It hardly has any wicking action whatsoever. This is from years of rust restorations and rusty/seized bolt removal.

[/ QUOTE ]

WD40 just got me out of trouble on the GT40 the other day. Had some countersunk cap screws, the allen key had started to distort the socket in them when trying to undo...and that's the end with these things as once they start to distort they just keep distorting. Good soaking with WD40 overnight and voila could just undo them, using less force than the day before...I'm a believer. You can't believe how grateful I was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's not miracle stuff, but in my experience it certainly helps. Also useful for lubricating drill bits when you run out of cutting compound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As I mentioned above, PB Blaster will run circles around WD40. It's claim is that it has a capillary action, and will find it's way to the sticky spot. Unlike most advertising hype, in this case, it's true. The stuff is absolutely amazing!

I gave it the ultimate test on some rusted manifold bolts, that I was worried about wringing off. After a 24 hour soak in PB Blaster, they were nearly "finger tight"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bill

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick but I've used spacers, upto 1"thick on several racing cars over the years without any problems at all. I have always worked on the basis that if the wheelnuts are properly tighted (and by that I mean bloody tight!)then the studs act only in tension, as they should, particularly if a ridge is present i.e. no movement is allowed between wheeel/spacer/hub.I would agree that hub bearing loads must increase proportionately, but with only relatively small spacers, these are not normally a problem.

Back