Superformance Ford GT MkII

Hersh is right, the finished price will be in the $80-90,000 range. Superformance is making their own transaxle which I heard is around $8,500. Not a bad price for a new tranaxle.

Ross

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Re: Superformance Ford GT MkII

SPF GT 001 has landed in the US: Superformance just issued the following press release:

<font color="blue">
Long Island, NY. May 14th, 2005

SPF GT 001 - the first production Superformance GT – landed at JFK last week after its long journey from the southern tip of Africa, and was being cleaned and spruced up in the SPF Snakepit workshop of Bill and Dan Ostrower in Freeport, Long Island, for its public debut at the Carlisle Imports and Kit Car Show starting May 19th.

Hi-Tech Automotive engineer Justin Price (son of Jim Price) who had been responsible for Project GT from its inception, will join SPF GT 001 at the Superformance stand at Carlisle to share his in depth knowledge of this exciting addition to the Superformance stable of supercars with the enthusiasts visiting the Show.

So authentic is this replica of the GT 40 Mk II A’s that beat Ferrari and finished first, second and third in the 24 Hours at Le Mans in 1966, that it is easier to list the differences between the original and the Superformance GT: The shifter was moved from the right hand sill to the center tunnel (the original was right hand drive), this road-going version of the race car is equipped with a custom made air conditioner to make it more user friendly, and the seats were changed slightly to create more space – so much so that the GT can accommodate the 6’ 2”, 250 lb Jimmy Price with ease.

The SPF GT differs from other replicas of the original in that it is the only production model to be built with a monocoque chassis that is an exact replica of the original. The chassis sports a formidable stiffness of 10,000 to 12,000 pounds per degree.

Most of the other replicas on the market have easier to build and less expensive space frame chassis and many of their features differ from the original in that they use whatever off-the-shelf components available, rather than the original style components hand-crafted in Hi-Techs ultra-modern factory in South Africa.

When Jim Price decided to replicate the original Mk 1 and Mk 11 A and B, he went the route of making a double of the original so as not to be just another player in a field of nearly correct replicas. The chassis of the Superformance GT will accommodate either a big or a small block engine, and if a customer wishes to install – and can locate – a T44 transaxle and a 427 big block engine with a dry sump, he will have an exact replica of the Le Mans winning car – albeit in left hand drive to be street legal in the US. If he prefers a right hand drive model for off-road use, it will be available from Superformance as a special order.

Like all Superformance products, the SPF GT comes complete but without engine and transmission. The buyer can decide whether he wants to install either a small block or a stroked 351 Windsor, mate it to a ZF/RBT transaxle – and go cruise the highway like enthusiasts in the 1960’s did.

The launch MSRP of the complete SPF GT without engine and transmission is $65,000. Depending on the drive train the buyer wishes to acquire and install or have installed, he can have his GT on the road for between $80,000 and $90,000.

Meanwhile, SPF GT 002 and 003 are taking shape on the GT assembly line in South Africa, and more chassis are being assembled before they, too join their siblings on the line.

rsk
SPF GT HAS LANDED.doc
</font>

Regards,
Lynn

Thanks for the news. I think the SPF GT is going to be extremely successful. I just hope it doesn't turn into a 3 yr wait for one.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Having seen the quality of the car, if they can't meet demand, the wait WILL be long. The car is amazing and easily matches the ERA. I hope the quality and reasonable delivery times can be maintained. It sure is a great time to be a GT40 enthusiast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry for the poor quality photos...cheap digital.

MikeD

Attachments

• 58114-SPFMKII.JPG
    58114-SPFMKII.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,118

This is GREAT news. I think this is what I will buy when I reacquire the GT. More pictures please!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Mike,

So much for the $40K price tag we heard about last year! I know prices keep going up, but over 50% in one year?????

Lynn

I don't recall ever seeing $ 40k....I thought Andre's
posts suggested $ 50k. And basis the difference in exchange
rate between 2002 and 2005, I can see a 30 % rise.

How much was CAV selling their cars for prior to closing?
I can't recall whether it was $ 50k or $ 60k.
Either way, compared to ERA's $ 100k for turnkey minus,
the SPF is great value. Wait until you see it in person.

MikeD

Having just read through this thread, can I dive in once again and offer my comments re the assumed 'difference' in price of the Superformance Coupe between the USA and UK.
The price of $63,000 is for a car MINUS engine, box, wheels, tyres, tax and all other costs to make it road legal. In the UK, the car is £75,000 plus VAT. This gets you a fully built road-legal car complete with a Roush 6.6-litre engine, box, tyres, wheels, damn well everything including road tax and full SVA compliance. All you need to drive it away is insurance. So when you compare prices, can you please take the trouble to compare like with like. We have a nice little tax called VAT in this country, but when you compare prices properly (some hope!) I doubt that there is more than $5,000 in it.
Also, the price of $40,000 for the new GT40 was never, ever quoted by the factory nor on this site. It was hoped that the rolling chassis might retail in the $50,000 range but thanks to the large shift in value of the rand against the dollar, this was never going to happen. Always best to wait for the manufacturer (not the bloke next door) to state the facts.

Trevor

Well said...
One item...I believe the price quoted by the US dealer did include the tires/wheels. That Roush engine is a great piece, but they charge an amazing price for it. Very exclusive...

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Trevor,

In response to my post I was comparing like with like with respect to CAV. As I mentioned, I hope the Superformance car does not suffer the same fate.

Right now 1 GBP equals 1.83 USD (would be better to compare everything in Rand, but, really no point - I live in the US so much buy in dollars, you live in the UK and must buy in Pounds). So, the price quoted above at $75k GBP is $137,250 to me. Take 17.5% out for VAT (hope it was already added in), gives $113,231 USD complete with motor and box.

In the US the car will be roughly $67k, plus around $12k USD for the 402R motor (you could get more motor for less money if you can live without the Roush name), plus say $10k for tranny and other bits, comes to around $90k USD, plus whatever sales tax you have, around 8% average in the states, many less, so $97,000 USD. Therefore, the difference is more than the $5000 you figure but not too far off if the excessive VAT is eliminated from the comparison.

I don't know what your link is with Superformance but my original posts over a year ago involved CAV and the price was very high when compared to what you got in the US. I also saw something similar and it was reported by members here too on the Superformance Coupe when it was let out. Looks like the GT is not that bad off, as long as that VAT was included in your figures as a I assume it was.

They are absolutely beautiful but I have a serious question: with all of the recent chaos concerning windshield replacements, availability of replacement parts and the recent warehouse closing at the Newport News facility, will there be a direct consumer support line and active SPF/HiTech internet interactions for buyers?

Hi Ron

I hope my post did not come across in a negative way, but there are a few people over here who cannot understand why the car cost what it does when it 'appears' to cost around $63,000 in the States. I know the Coupe well as I live not far from the place where the final surgery is carried out and have written magazine articles about it and been forced into the cockpit and cruelly subjected to 'test' drives and cross-country journeys in one. One of our more respected motoring journalists fell in love with it and claimed that, in terms of performance, nothing else under £140,000 comes close. Having just returned from a blast across France in a Ferrari 355, I can only agree - the Coupe is a very very fast car that makes Ferraris feel tame. A 355 sounds like a mobile hairdryer in comparisson. (That should be good for a few comments...)

I know that many potential customers have raised this apparent difference between the assumed USA and UK price and I can appreciate how irritating this must be! I accept that my $5,000 difference was a bit wide of the mark - I was thinking about a comment that was made when the possibility of importing one from the States was discussed (it has been done). By the time the car had been shipped, engine installed (OK, you dont have to have a Roush, but...) and hauled through the SVA (good luck!) the final cost saving is in the region of £3,000. Hardly worth all the considerable effort and aggravation in my opinion! But the price variation between cars on either side of the Atlantic has always been the same - a Corvette may be around $40,000 over there but will be £40,000+ over here. Even the new Mustang is around £24,000 in the UK.

Re the Coupe - I forgot to add that the price includes one years full parts and labour warranty. Stone me, its a bargain.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
And so finally the Semko makes his way here.....welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And what is this about the Newport News facility closing? Perhaps they have decided to use a new distribution means rather than the warehouse?

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I'm with Ron on this one. What is the market for high dollar, "authentic", replicas. Superformance clearly has a reputation for quality cars. It will be interesting to see if they can address the transaxle issue. Hopefully they are successful.

Back