Superformance Ford GT MkII

Chris thanks for putting me straight on that. Which manufactures bodywork is the most correct for a MK1?

Paul

Hi Guys

I don't want to be specific by manufacturer but it is an established fact that most of the replica GT40's out there were derived from the first kit on the market ie. the KVA.
I can confirm that Fran Hall (RCR), and Superformance have original shape bodies for their cars. I also have original set of MK1 body moulds and can supply original bodies.

If you take a straight line from the top of the rear window across the bottom of the rear window to just before the rear spoiler Kicks up, an original rear clip will be flat and straight. The replica will have about 1.5" of kick up that is apparent at the bottom of the rear window.

Replica doors where they meet the front clip are rounder and wider, original doors are more flat in this area.

If you look at the original MK1 nostril panel at the sides it is about 3/4" most replicas are much wider.

The duct in front of the screen on the replica GT40's is further forward, than on the original.

The rear licence plate holder on replicas is simplified and the rear grill appeture does not have an inward flange as on the originals.

This is just a general guide but there are many more deviations.

Regards
Chris.

I can't say for sure what Superformance did with the front and rear body that they are making, but I know they have an original set of body molds that came from Holman Moody.

A greater problem exists AFTER production and dealer delivery. Examine closely the windshield issues that just occurred last week when a SPF owner had a piece of pipe jettison through his windshield while on I-75 outside Cincinnati. Fortunately no one was injured but he became the proud participant of the windshield debacle which is now enhanced by the respective dealers. Fortunately, this owners problem was quickly resolved by his dealer who had the glass in stock while another owner has waited for the past 2 months for that exact windscreen, being constantly told that it's still on back order, while the replacement glass was sitting in storage at another SPF dealership and THAT dealership monitors the Superformance Owners Forum religiously. It would appear that each dealership has become an individual microcosm protecting it's own turf. Desperate customers must search dealerships personally if they encounter an out of stock item. This is absolutely amazing from a company that's been supplying the US market for over a decade. I don't know about you but if I invested the current price on a new SPF, or even more for their new product lines and was treated like a prodigal child when I needed assistance, the crucifixation would seem like a Boy Scout Jamboree after I addressed the issue.

Trevor,
You have a private mail.
I am trying to contact you, but your e-mail address bounces back.
Alternatively, please e-mail me.

Dan, Before I was a dealer for Roaring Forties. I had broke a windshield in my car. Robert contacted Ron Earp who was early in his build and had him send me his windshield, He replaced Rons at a later date. All the RF owners have no problem helping out when someone is in dire need of a part, Basically if you need a part RF and Robert will do everything they can to make sure you get it. Again, thanks to Ron for the windshield. If a similar situation were to happen today. I could have a replacment windshield in route in about 24 hours. Hershal and I speak on a regular basis

That sounds like the old Superformance family and exactly the way things should be. Unfortunately the situation has evolved into a territorial turmoil and they don't have an active PR person or even a central warehouse as a main frame for the respective dealers to see what's in stock. I fully understand that each of the Superformance dealers has an important contribution to the "entire" Superformance marque. What I don't understand is the obvious South African cast system and why they haven't established a specific person to address common problems. If it wasn't for folks like Randy Thomas, the SCOF owner, who is the SPF agglutinate, owners wouldn't have a voice or a resource for issues. The former U.S. Superformance CEO, Ron Kruger, was an exceptional politician in every sense of the word and has the rhetorical ability to make Jesse Jackson sound like a pauper.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Dan,
It seems perhaps you have had some sort of falling out with SPF and Ronnie K. Perhaps you will elaborate on the issues that you see with the SPF system? I mean this earnestly, not as a rhetorical question or with any agenda, it seems you have seen a change in the modus operendi of SPF and it troubles you.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You're correct Rick, I have seen a drastic change over the last 2 years. My animosity towards Ronnie Kruger is based on an idea that I proposed concerning an alliance with Shelby and eliminating the frivolous lawsuits that were draining both companies bottom line. A close friend and I initiated the dialog between both companies and shortly after signing an agreement with Ronnie Kruger, we were both grooms left standing at the altar. This appears to be their corporate M.O. in that they capitalize and implement constructive, profitable ideas while carefully eliminating the originators.

There has been a definite change in customer based service and the prompt attention, recognition of structural problems as exemplified with the spontaneous windshield fracturing and continued delamination of early production windshields. In the past, the dealers worked in harmony but that changed once dealer innovations were adapted into the next generation cars with little or no remuneration, which subsequently inhibited creative dealer input. The cause of the windshield fractures has never been identified and has been poorly addressed. When any company forgets that the customers insure the success of their products, they need a serious business refresher course. Several of the Superformance issues have been quietly sequestered by the loyal owners, who until recently, were properly respected. Now we are relegated as "customers" when questions are presented and summarily talked down to by dealers like Doug Reed, when those same questions remain unaddressed and reissued. Does that philosophy bother me, you bet. Given the cost of these expensive play toys that can only be enjoyed on perfect weather days, owners should receive special attention. There are plenty of viable high performance marques available at the price most of us have invested. What is equally bothersome is that many of us have actively recommended SPF's to potential cobraphiles and have invested the time and effort to promote the very manufacturer who has now adopted The Big Three attitude of telling us what we need rather than what we want. Kruger was part of the upper echelon at VW and should know that philosophy might fare well in Europe but won't succeed in the U.S. It didn't work with Mercedes, VW or any of the domestic manufacturers here....if it had, Toyota wouldn't be challenging the top 3 and GM wouldn't be cutting 28k jobs. Mercedes lost it's significant market share in the luxury car line to vehicles that were never contenders in the past. Minor nuances should be expected in performance cars but issues that compromise safety and even the convenience of passing licensure inspections, should be addressed promptly, aggressively and without political sounding rhetoric.

I still believe Superformance produces one of the best replicas available but they have fallen well below the quality interdealer service and respect that owners deserve.
Competition keeps businesses sharp, attentive and insightful to their customer base. Once Superformance eliminates the turf wars craeted by territorial delegations, we'll enjoy the company that fought hard for recognition and their customers.

I got these photos from a SPF dealer that I ran into at BRIC/Elkhart Lake races. Thought I would post them. They are the proto at Carlise, but taken during setup without anything in the way.

Attachments

• 61589-DSC00003.JPG
    61589-DSC00003.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,051
Back