Superformance GT40 on "How It's Made"

SPF GT40 on "How It's Made-Dreamcars"

Anyone else watch this segment? It really showed the "old school" methods used to build our "old school" cars. It was an especially big contrast with the show that followed immediately after it, which was the building of the hyper-tech, hyper-expensive Koenigsegg ONE:1. It reinforced the warm and fuzzy feeling I have with my car...and it reminded me that I have to finish my annual checking of all the nuts and bolts!

I had a chance to compare a SF GT40 and a CAV GT40 on display side by side 30 feet apart at the Cobra Bash in Reno in 2006. I went to both cars and was able to climb in to check fitting in the cockpit of each car. I went back and forth quite a bit to where it was finally up-setting the SF rep. The next morning I was down at the display at 6:00 A.M. to wipe down my own car that was there for the event. It was just me and a guard on the whole floor of 200 cars. I took the liberty of lifting the rear clam shell and stepped into the engineless engine bay of the SF car. I was down on my knees checking the welds at the tub. It looked like a high school kid did it! They were mostly done sub-standard. It looked like some one blew they nose on it and painted over it ( I call these Bugger Welds). I was very concern. I then heard a loud voice say "What the hell are you doing in there? I looked up to see Peter Brock peering in at me! I said I was comparing the build quality with the CAV next to it. He then walked me through several other items on the car, some of which he had discussed with Jim Price at Hi-Tech Auto when he was there doing the Daytona Coupe project that he was concern about. Don't get me wrong, I 'am not trashing SF as I actually own one of there products. After watching the guy welding the panels on the program last night, I see why. It was 4 years later that I had a chance to bring a CAV home. So I guess that earns me a ticket to bitch or praise about both products (LOL)!!!!

The welds are what sold me on ERA's cars, both the GT40 and the Cobra.
They are a work of art. I had a stranger come up to me and ask about the cobra. I told him it was an ERA and the first thing he said was how beautiful the welds are. I was shocked, most people would never even notice.

I worked in a shipyard building landing craft for the navy. One of my jobs was to make test plates for welders hiring in. Two plates with 45 degree bevels butted together -
After they were welded they went into a machine that bent them around.
Most of the really pretty welds failed.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I don't think the welds are not structurally sound. Its not like there entire chassis is that way but there are a few seams that seem a little goobered up to me. I've never looked at the welds on an original but something tells me they are not always works of art either. Not to start a fight and I'll not argue this point further but other than Gelscoe, I think SPF cars as as close as you can get to an original without a substantial investment cost. They also seem trade at prices step above any of the others makes except Gelscoe. That may be more important to some than others. Some of the other makes to me at least, appear to have an odd stance or rear clam shape. Not bad just different. I love my SPF and hopefully everyone else loves whichever version they have. A garage with a GT40 in it is better than a garage without regardless of make.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don't think the welds are not structurally sound. Its not like there entire chassis is that way but there are a few seams that seem a little goobered up to me. I've never looked at the welds on an original but something tells me they are not always works of art either. Not to start a fight and I'll not argue this point further but other than Gelscoe, I think SPF cars as as close as you can get to an original without a substantial investment cost. They also seem trade at prices step above any of the others makes except Gelscoe. That may be more important to some than others. Some of the other makes to me at least, appear to have an odd stance or rear clam shape. Not bad just different. I love my SPF and hopefully everyone else loves whichever version they have. A garage with a GT40 in it is better than a garage without regardless of make.

Good post Mike... :thumbsup:

Its funny you say that about the weld plates Ray, when I became a certified welder years ago on one 0f my certifications we had to do those. We would weld up all of the plates in different positions they would then cut a cross section and bend it 180 degrees, any imperfections or fractures would fail the test................it was a pain..................m

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Then you might see stuff like this
rcr_shop_pic_8_fs.png

Actually the aluminum SPF welding and suspension arms are really nice. Must put the less experienced guys on tub work.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I agree there are some nice welds on the arms. The bead on the AC cover on my car is righteous.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Good promotion for Superformance, but whoever wrote and produced the show should never work in television again. Random sequences, focusing on obscure topics for long periods of time, constant annoying music in the background, etc. Even the YouTube video they uploaded looks horrible with the movie theater background and small image of the actual video. But, I guess any PR is good PR.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Apparently pretty welds are not strong.....:shrug:

It all depends on penetration of the weld. The weld I posted above is quite good and representative of the weldor's work on my cars tub.. Obviously I've not taken it to the degree of destructive analysis, but I have examined the backsides of many of the unions and can see the penetration lines so I am certain of their quality.
I would post more photos, but actually I felt bad about posting the one that I did as this thread is about SPFs and not other mfgrs.. :worried:

If you go to the RacingIcons.com website, you can see many of the booger welds and what appears to be half-baked spot welds on many of the original cars they have there.. Odd but a few years ago, there were a TON more photos on that site and they were of really high quality - now there are quite a few less... :huh:

I am impressed by much of the work on the SPF cars but some of it, as has been shared by many owners here over the years, is less than acceptable...

Back