Superlite GTA

You guys can argue "replacement for displacement" for all you want, but Fran already mentioned this is going to be a small and light car with a 4 banger with LOW COST in mind. Yes, 6G7x(TT), VG3xDE(TT), 1JZ/2JZGTE, RB26DETT are all very very nice engines, but I don't think GTA is using them, would be nice though.

BTW, 4G63 from Evolution 4-9 IS NOT the same as the 4G63 from 2G Eclipse, the dual charged 4G63 picture above is from an Evolution, NOT eclipse.

You guys can argue "replacement for displacement" for all you want, but Fran already mentioned this is going to be a small and light car with a 4 banger with LOW COST in mind. Yes, 6G7x(TT), VG3xDE(TT), 1JZ/2JZGTE, RB26DETT are all very very nice engines, but I don't think GTA is using them, would be nice though.

BTW, 4G63 from Evolution 4-9 IS NOT the same as the 4G63 from 2G Eclipse, the dual charged 4G63 picture above is from an Evolution, NOT eclipse.

From the "RCR's Next Car Should Be..." thread:

103 inch wheel base 18/19 wheels...4 / 6 cyl. package...might look a little like this...but then maybe not...wink..

No we won't know what exactly will fit til Fran gives us dimensions but 6-cylinders are on the table, I'm assuming V-6 of course (given the orientation).

Last edited:
It will be a small, compact V6 like the VR6 or Honda 3.5.

An RB26/1JZ/2JZ/etc won't fit. Hell, I don't even think it'll fit into an SLC (loooooooong engine).

Lastly, I don't see production starting until this fall or later. The car is still in the clay. Fran creates amazing machines, but he doesn't perform miracles. You'll see the D type sooner than this car. :D

Last edited:
Because when I spend this much time and money to build a car that looks this good. I'd want my car to sound like an exotic, not sound like a Honda Civic.

....VQ35DE = Nice choice...

Is a Nissan Altima with an aftermarket exhaust that much more exotic than a Honda Civic? At first I liked the way the G35/350Z's sounded... but there's something about the VQ tone that is not timeless in my opinion... can't quite put my finger on it though.

The Honda C30A (3.0L) & C32B (3.2L) V6's from the NSX are a whole different sound story:
scaled.php

... and certainly not as affordable as the 4G63T's :laugh:

EDIT:
Can't wait for someone to just to get it over with, gut the trunk, and custom mount an LSx to cram in there:
Pic05.jpg

Pic09.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe one of the newer Nissan V6s could be mounted transversely. Nissan worked on the sound quite a bit with those, and they do sound much nicer. VR38DETT anyone?

Maybe one of the newer Nissan V6s could be mounted transversely. Nissan worked on the sound quite a bit with those, and they do sound much nicer. VR38DETT anyone?

I think the engine would be the easy part. You could always just turbo/supercharge the VQ35. I think with the right exhaust on the VQ35 it sounds very similar to the VQ37. Personally, I think the Nissan V6s are about the best sounding ones around right now. I helped my brother with an install of the BERK exhaust on his 370 this year and it sounds pretty good to me.

I think finding a strong tranny solution would be the hard part like you were asking about.

Edit: The LS4 crossed my mind Ryeno but no manual transmission.

Last edited:
Is a Nissan Altima with an aftermarket exhaust that much more exotic than a Honda Civic?

Yes.

Can't vouch for your Honda V6 though, it could well be.

VR38DETT is whole other animal, read: HEAVY. You might as well have an LS3 and save weight.

VQ35DE has been in lots of things in lots of formats, transverse and longitudinally.

Sounds great, can be found cheap, can easily be built for power.

VR38DETT is whole other animal, read: HEAVY. You might as well have an LS3 and save weight.

All of the Nissan V6s are relatively heavy. But they are also very compact, so they stand a better chance of fitting into a GTA than does an LS3. What they will do to the weight distribution, vehicle dynamics, and the transmission are bigger concerns.

All of the Nissan V6s are relatively heavy. But they are also very compact, so they stand a better chance of fitting into a GTA than does an LS3. What they will do to the weight distribution, vehicle dynamics, and the transmission are bigger concerns.

Actually the VQ's are pretty light, I believe the VQ35 is 330lbs. Also remember reading the VQ37 is about 17lbs lighter than the 3.5L. They also respond very well to turboing. The VQ37 makes about 480whp on 8-10 psi and that's on stock pistons at 11:1 CR, on pump gas (Very good tune)

And this is why Fran has stated the 4G63 will be the best fit for this car. It's light, able to make 400hp/400tq cheaply (not off of idle like a v8), and it will easily connect onto the Eclipse electrical system.

Actually the VQ's are pretty light, I believe the VQ35 is 330lbs. Also remember reading the VQ37 is about 17lbs lighter than the 3.5L. They also respond very well to turboing. The VQ37 makes about 480whp on 8-10 psi and that's on stock pistons at 11:1 CR, on pump gas (Very good tune)
Well, this gets down to what you are including in your weight accounting -- e.g., whether you include turbos, plumbing, intercoolers, etc. or not. Making apples-to-apples comparisons, the VR38DETT isn't significantly heavier than the other Nissan V6s, but the Nissans are fairly heavy per liter of displacement -- at least compared to OHV engines.

Various sources quote the VR38DET to be north of 600lbs usually fully dressed, various sources quote the VQ35DE to be around 330lbs though what accessories are included I'm not sure...

Do Hondo V6's really sound much different? How?

I guess if that's with turbos that's not too bad, though don't complete LS3's weigh in at around 420lbs?

I've seen several places quote the VQ35DE in at 330lbs but I haven't found one that's clear on what is included.

Back