Superlite GTA

January 2013 feels like Christmas again waiting to "unwrap" the apex! Like many others my goal was the slc but I'm in medicine for a living and it is taking a financial beating right now, and I fear in the future. Both the apex and the ddr are more in line with my budget. I've had a few text chats with Diego and he seems like a good guy as Fran has said. Fran's customer service and product goes without saying as impeccable. The apex unveiling will most likely decide my final build outcome. Happy new year to all.

Dont worry....some new pictures coming very soon....

And we will officially start taking orders for early Spring delivery

Last edited:
I'm still learning and thinking. I think I have a decent working knowledge know of how the 4G63 functions. . .

Started a file called "SL Apex" and saving photos, cost estimates, and other info. Gathering data and analyzing is my way of verifying whether something big makes sense or is just a nice dream. So far I'm thinking this could be in my future for 2013.

can't wait for the official reveal and videos! the 4g63s are animals, had one many many years ago when the eclipses first came out, it's not going to be a torque monster for sure like a good v8, but depending on how light the final chassis comes in, this thing has the potential to just be sick power to weight ratio. there are plenty of options for these motors for easy upgrades.

I did a few more P/W comparisons while I was off work for the holidays and if the Apex is 2,500 lb with 450hp, it's better numbers than cars costing from $50K to a quarter million.

Anxiously awaiting pics. Curious how the intercooler and exhaust routing can/will be set up.

p.s. I don't think I found in this thread anything about whether the kit includes shocks? I saw uprights and a-arms.

Last edited:
OK guys....news flash....

Having done some wild and crazy things for the latest movie project, we have been able to succesfully utilise a tranverse V8 drivetrain in a non OEM environment.

This is the drivetrain used in the Impala SS and the Grand Prix GXP...

The engine is the LS4 5.3L with a 4t65e transmission with tap shift

For the guys that want to have the V8 burble this may well be a serious contender.

Last edited:
How difficult is adapting electronics, 2G Eclipse ECU/harness to LS4?

From what I've learned thus far, the part I know the least about is the electronics. For that reason, I'm thinking I would be best off sticking with Eclipse everything, maybe doing a little bit of 1G/2G mixing/matching in the engine components.

The engine will use the GM ecu (which we have standalone calibrations for E40 and E67 variants.) ...the only interface is for the dash readouts ...the original car/chassis harness will still run the lights, heater etc etc

Copy and Pasted from Wikipedia:

4T65-E

The 4T65-E was introduced to replace the 4T60-E in 1997. The 4T65-E included a larger 258 mm torque converter for some models and many other changes to improve reliability. It is able to handle vehicles up to 6500 lb (2948 kg) GVWR with up to 280 ft·lbf (380 N·m) of torque. A number of final drive ratios are available, with many distinct models. Starting in mid year 2000 models, all 4T65-E models received an upgraded valve body. Starting in 2003 the internal electronics were changed, hardened 4th gear shaft, ratcheting sprags for input and third gear were added. The last application was the 2011 Chevrolet Impala as GM has transitioned to the 6T70 family transmissions for 2012.[1]

Models:
M15 — 245 mm (9.6 in) torque converter
MN3 — 258 mm (10.2 in) torque converter
MN7 — 258 mm (10.2 in) torque converter and heavy-duty gearbox (see 4T65E-HD)
MD7 — 245 mm (9.6 in) torque converter (Chinese version)
M76 — 245 mm (9.6 in) torque converter (with all-wheel drive capability)
Gear ratios:
1 2 3 4 R
2.92 1.56 1.00 0.70 2.38
Applications:
M15
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.4 DOHC V6
1997–2003 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo V6 3.4 L/3.8 L
1997–2003 Chevrolet Venture V6 3.4 L
2000–2003 Chevrolet Impala V6 3.4 L/3.8 L
1997–2001 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo V6 3.1 L
1998-1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue V6 3.8 L
1998-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix V6 3.1 L/3.8 L
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix V6 3.8 L
2006-2007 Chevrolet Malibu (SS Models) V6 3.9 L
3.29:1 M15
Buick Terraza
Chevrolet Uplander
Pontiac Montana SV6
Saturn Relay
3.29:1 M76
Buick Rendezvous
Chevrolet Impala 9C1
Oldsmobile Aurora V6
Oldsmobile Intrigue Autobahn Package/PCS
Oldsmobile Silhouette
Pontiac Aztek
2.86:1 or 3.05:1 M15
Buick LeSabre
Chevrolet Impala LA1
Chevrolet Monte Carlo LA1
Pontiac Bonneville FQ3
3.05:1 MN3
1997-2004 Buick Regal V6 3.8 L LS/LSE
1997-2005 Buick Park Avenue V6 3.8 L
1999-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue V6 3.5 L
2.92:1 M15
Buick LaCrosse
3.69:1 M76
Buick Terraza
Buick Rendezvous
Chevrolet Uplander
Pontiac Aztek
Pontiac Montana SV6
Saturn Relay

4T65E-HD

The 4T65E-HD (code MN7) is a heavy duty version of the 4T65-E used with more powerful engines such as the LS4 V8 and L67/L32 supercharged V6.

Applications:
2.93:1 MN7
Pontiac Bonneville SSEi L67
Chevrolet Impala L67
Chevrolet Monte Carlo L67
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP/GXP
Buick Regal GS
Buick Riviera L67 (97-99)
3.05:1 MN7
Buick Park Avenue Ultra
3.06:1 MN7
Chevrolet Impala SS
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (2006-2007)
3.29:1 MN7
Buick Regal GSX (SLP)
Buick LaCrosse Super
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Copy and Pasted from Wikipedia:

4T65-E

The 4T65-E was introduced to replace the 4T60-E in ............(mucho-deleto)............

In other words, a slush-box.... :shocked:

Are there any performance improving kits from B&M, TCI or others that would turn this into a fully manual transmission? :idea:

I think it's a nice option for those that want a low maintenance street car, or straight line drag car. LS engine with auto trans, or turbo Mitsu w/manual. Options are nice.

I wonder if any of the transverse manual boxes from GM can fit (and handle a decent amount of power)?

I have looked at that too...problem is the starter motor location due to the auto vs manual trans packaging...
My wife has a GXP as a daily along with her Trailblazer SS and its a darn fast little machine...5.5 0-60...quicker than an M3 of the same vintage..

Easy power/torque and nicer sound is tempting, but reading up a bit on the tranny and I think I'd still lean to the Mitsy with a 5sp, so far.

I wonder if any of the transverse manual boxes from GM can fit (and handle a decent amount of power)?

G6 6 Speed Manual Transmission 0 Miles F40 Trans | eBay

The Fiero guys are using this transmission with up to LS7 power in their cars. The guys with big HP cryo the gears but the stock trans seems to hold up well with 450 HP in these lightweight cars.

As above, they are available NEW on Ebay for about $400. I bought one a while ago for a future project but sold it when reason(?) prevailed and I decided to build an SLC.

If you want to see what's required to make this trans work with an LS motor, go to Pennock's Fiero Forum and check out the build threads.

JR

OK guys....news flash....

Having done some wild and crazy things for the latest movie project, we have been able to succesfully utilise a tranverse V8 drivetrain in a non OEM environment.

This is the drivetrain used in the Impala SS and the Grand Prix GXP...

The engine is the LS4 5.3L with a 4t65e transmission with tap shift

For the guys that want to have the V8 burble this may well be a serious contender.

Is this something you guys are considering as an available option when ordering the kit, or will it be a one-off only?

Back