SVA handbrake

Hi,

The RF came with Willwood style handbrake calipers, which were basically rubbish( RF changed to a Corvette set up after i had mine). To improve them i purchaced a set of sintered bronze motor-bike pads, cut them to shape, fitted them and can now lock the rear wheels when appliying the handbrake. I torque the wheel spinner up to 350ft/lbs, with just the hand-brake on to stop rotation.
Very pleased with the results, and only cost £22 for the bike pads.

Jerry

brett, not that one, the one with 4 25mm pistons like the one on your picture, it was on the telefoon with a gay from rally design.

Hi John,
Another option is to use this type of AP caliper which I fitted to my GTD. I believe these were fitted to the Ford RS200 rally car & several types of Ferrari. This is a very sturdy mechanical caliper & wasn't to difficult to fit. Although I made the bracketry myself, Hi-spec motorsport has the CAD drgs for these as they have supplied caliper mounting hardware to Wealden Engineering for their 4 pot & 6 pot Monster brakes.

No AP racing calipers ever on a ferrari. Only Brembo or ATE for early cars.
Brembo now owns AP racing since about '99

The Brembo fixed body parking caliper as shown earlier in this thread is a self adjusting (for pad and rotor wear) unit. If you use a rotor thickness outside of the 28mm standard they are made for, you will have to build spacer blocks or add pad spacers.
It is also ridiculously expensive new, at about $1000 per pair.

Last edited:
John,
I am going to try the Wilwood Handbrake caliper. Ofcourse it isn't roven on a 40 yet, but it is only mechanical.

Brett

Hi Brett, this is a very interesting caliper, is there information avaialble for it someplace?
What was your purchase source?

Thanks
Eric

Still waiting on info from HiSpec and the guy in New Zealand. Found out that the Viper has separate handbrake calipers (should be pretty beefy given weight and power of car), anybody know anything about them?

John

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
James,
Ive got a pair of these calipers on my car which is in Arborfield near Reading.
Are you still in the London Area?

Hi Brett, this is a very interesting caliper, is there information avaialble for it someplace?
What was your purchase source?

Thanks
Eric

Hi Eric,
I go the calipers from Rally design here: Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design

They are a modified version of the Wilwood Powerlite Caliper. There was talk that they were looking to do the same with the Midilite, which has a bigger pad area and can accept a bigger disc, but no news yet, so I ended up going with those.

As I have said before, as far as I know, no-one has tried these on a 40 replica yet, as they only really came to the market last year. There may be a very good reason, as Rick has said above that appaently they are only good for 800Kg cars (Rally Design omitted that when selling them to me), but then again some people say Audi 016 gearboxes shouldn't holdup behind V8s and they do, so I will try to work round it to ensure I get the amount of brake force for SVA next year (hopefully).

Brett

Hi Eric,
I go the calipers from Rally design here: Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design

They are a modified version of the Wilwood Powerlite Caliper. There was talk that they were looking to do the same with the Midilite, which has a bigger pad area and can accept a bigger disc, but no news yet, so I ended up going with those.

As I have said before, as far as I know, no-one has tried these on a 40 replica yet, as they only really came to the market last year. There may be a very good reason, as Rick has said above that appaently they are only good for 800Kg cars (Rally Design omitted that when selling them to me), but then again some people say Audi 016 gearboxes shouldn't holdup behind V8s and they do, so I will try to work round it to ensure I get the amount of brake force for SVA next year (hopefully).

Brett

Thanks for the info.

Besides the holding capability (measured on what grade? and vehicle facing which direction?-SAE std?)

I would have serious concerns for the rigidity of the caliper after having pockets that Wilwood never intended cut into them. This could create all new bending and failure modes. Housing can deflect and cause pistons to take an angle in the bores, and seize or loose pressure. With more temp this can exaggerate further.

Thanks again for the info. It seems a clever system, but maybe needs a caliper designed from the start for it.

Thanks for the info.

Besides the holding capability (measured on what grade? and vehicle facing which direction?-SAE std?)

I would have serious concerns for the rigidity of the caliper after having pockets that Wilwood never intended cut into them. This could create all new bending and failure modes. Housing can deflect and cause pistons to take an angle in the bores, and seize or loose pressure. With more temp this can exaggerate further.

Thanks again for the info. It seems a clever system, but maybe needs a caliper designed from the start for it.

Hi Eric,
For SVA here in the UK, the parking brake efficiency has to be over 18%.

They calculate it as: (Total Brake Effort*100)/Laden Weight = % efficiency.

So say the car is 1100Kg with 2 seating positions this gives a Laden Weight of 1250Kg.

Now I must have got my maths wrong, as the TBE comes out low when I run the this through. Am I doing something wrong??

Thanks for the concern over the caliper, at least these are only on the rears I have some AP Pro 5000s on the front, so at least they will compensate.

Brett

Brett

Back