SVA handbrake

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Greetings all,

I've been following this thread with some interest. In the gear built by the company I work for, the approved weight capacity is far, FAR below that which each and every unit is physically tested before being shipped, and even that test weight is by a significant margin less than what the equipment will actually carry... manufacturing standards and product liability are still to be reckoned with these days!

Which is all a rather long winded way of saying that the manufacturer of the caliper which rates its use at 800 Kg may well do an admirable job at twice that number. It stands to reason that when one knows how the testing was performed...

My apologies if I'm off a bit.

Best,

T.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Greetings all,

I've been following this thread with some interest. In the gear built by the company I work for, the approved weight capacity is far, FAR below that which each and every unit is physically tested before being shipped, and even that test weight is by a significant margin less than what the equipment will actually carry... manufacturing standards and product liability are still to be reckoned with these days!

Which is all a rather long winded way of saying that the manufacturer of the caliper which rates its use at 800 Kg may well do an admirable job at twice that number. It stands to reason that when one knows how the testing was performed...

My apologies if I'm off a bit.

Best,

T.

Agreed that certified safe working load is lower than design load including factor of safety.
But exceeding the certified SWL is dangerous and illegal.

All,

There is a mechanical caliper setup engineered for Panteras and Vipers available from Pantera Performance Center and Pantera East, for $495. You'd have to fab up a bracket to mount them to your specific application, but since you wouldn't be buying the Pantera mounting bracket that would probably save you some $$$.

Quite a few Pantera guys with aftermarket brakes are using them, and they work quite well.

I'll dig up some photos and post them in a couple of days.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Even better, they are less than that if you just need the calipers. I'm about to order a set for my car since it has no parking brakes and I'd rather it did. Here's the link and a pic:

http://www.ipsco.org/Custom Services/Parking Brake.htm

BTW, Congratulations on the promotion Lt Col Mike.

Attachments

• Parking Brake1.jpg
    Parking Brake1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 576
Yup, them's the ones! (And thanks for the kudos, Mark!)

Note that they are manufactured in two halves, and are designed to take a spacer depending upon the thickness of your rotor. So when ordering be sure to have a very accurate measurement (to the thousandth) of your rotors. The total movement that the active piston offers isn't that great, so if the caliper is just a bit too wide, the brake won't work well, and if it's too narrow, it won't release.

I've installed two sets on Panteras; on one of them the guy measured his rotor with a ruler instead of a dial caliper, and as a result I had to remove the pads and file them to get it to fit....

Agreed that certified safe working load is lower than design load including factor of safety.
But exceeding the certified SWL is dangerous and illegal.

James,
Agreed, but bar Rally Design telling someone on the phone this fact, they have not published in their catalogue. If they are aware and willstillselltopeople when they tell them it is for a heavier car doesn't it start to have the words liability, negligence and potenital lawsuit all over it??

Brett

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Brett,
You can buy a machine gun and the retailer is not responsible for shooting your neighbours.
Any shop owner will do the same, and if the catalogues omit design criteria so be it, you try somebody else. It's his business to sell you chocolate brakes for your money if you want them.
It's your choice on the day, because you are liable for the design of the car and you must verify how it is built to the satisfaction of the law.

Last edited:
Given that SVA in the UK does a rolling road test on the "handbrake" (actually a mechanicaly applied independant brake test in SVA speak) I have elected to go for the (proven) Brembo option (used on Ferrari 360, Aston Martin, Ultima and Gardener Douglas T70) Andy Burrows at GD was most helpful and charges £150.00 + VAT per pair so have purchsed from him.

Also ran it by Fran.

Thanks to all contributors

John

Last edited:
Back