I do not like this 'YES WE CAN.'
I do not like this spending spree,
I'm smart, I know that nothing's free.
I do not like your smug replies,
when I complain about your lies.
I do not like this kind of hope.
I do not like it, nope, nope, nope!

Nick,

I think it is telling that businesses would even consider moving to a communist country because the business climate is more favorable than in the US.

I'm not going to try to defend the use of forced labor or a total lack environmental awareness, etc... but not every business relocates for those reasons.

If limited to what Mr Wynn actually said, I think you'd have to agree that the regulatory climate IS more stable in China. And, if nothing else, businesses/the markets HATE uncertainty.

Just think about what is written (and is not yet written) in the recent FinReg and health care bills. Nearly any and every business can find something to dislike (have you seen the new 1099 requirements,...are you kidding me?). I dare say that this administration is the most anti-free market, business-unfriendly administration we've seen in decades.

Of course, that's a plus to some. Many think that they may enjoy a european-style economy. I've spent enough time outside this country to not hold that opinion.

Ron

I listened to Mr. Wynns speech and interview. What he told us was the business climate in a communist country was better for his business than the business climate in the US. What is so hard to understand. The man was very upset that this was the case and would have been extremely happy if this had not been his best alternative.

I wondered why 15K new IRS were being hired, the 1099 part of the healthcare bill is going to be an expensive, time consuming pain in the ass. Accountants must be rubbing their hands together with glee! Change indeed!

Listening to the Wynn interview, he expresses his dislike for the current administration, and as he sees it, their misguided policies. From a business perspective, he is right. Perhaps some of our more left leaning business people, who have contributed to this discussion, can disprove Wynn.

I further believe that the played race card is simply to distract the electorate from the real issue, that the administration is not doing their job, there is no recovery (I think we have a dead cat bounce now in the markets, and car sales looked good for July) as the tax cuts expiration will kill both the stock market and any business investment.

Regarding the Tea Party, they have been clear that racism is not accepted behaviour.

Newt Gingrich said in a recent Newsmax interview what he thinks is best to support the country's economy. Now all of these cuts will have to be paid by people going back to work and paying their income taxes.

Gingrich: Obama Repeating Mistakes From the Great Depression

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni

As I see it, there are only two reasons why Breitbart would ask for the tape of a speech that everyone knows was not racist when recorded.

(1) He knew it was a good speech to edit, you know, to reverse it meaning.

(2) He heard that someone else had already edited it to reverse its meaning.

Domtoni, can you think of any other reasons?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Posted by Jim

Domtoni, this was posted by me, its a fairly straight forward post, I was stating the only two reasons I could think of to answer the question (Why would Breitbart ask for a copy of a tape everyone knows was not racist in its original form). You do know he was looking for a way to discredit the NAACP.

At the end I aked you if you could think of any other reasons why he would ask for a copy of this tape.

And you answered:

Jim, here is the difference:
- you state that Breitbart asked for an edited tape. He says he asked for the tape. My question to you is, when Breitbart says he didn't edit it, who edited the tape? As he said, the guy from Georgia who supplied the DVD.
Posted by Domtoni

Domtoni, either you have trouble reading, you have trouble understanding or you are pretending not to understand. I MOST CERTINALY DID NOT SAY "HE ASKED FOR AN EDITED TAPE".

Then you posted this:

Jim,

You note that he said: "he heard it was an edited tape". How did he hear this? The tape was presented to him in its form.
It first appeared on a DVD, he was unable to open it, and then asked for another copy.

Whoever was his contact had something to get across. What is that? Did they want Sherrod out of her job? Did they want to discredit Breitbart? Did they want to paint a bigger picture that the Tea Party is racist? What was their motive?
Posted by domtoni

Domtoni these were rhetorical questions, I could not then and can not now understand why he would ask for a copy of a tape that actually shows Ms Sherrod in a fairly good light.

So Domtoni, I'll ask one more time, please read the question carefully.

WHY WOULD MR BREITBART ASK FOR A COPY OF A TAPE THAT EVERYONE KNOWS DID NOT SHOW RACISM IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM?

Last edited:
QUOTE=Jim Craik;306785]Domtoni

As I see it, there are only two reasons why Breitbart would ask for the tape of a speech that everyone knows was not racist when recorded.

(1) He knew it was a good speech to edit, you know, to reverse it meaning.

(2) He heard that someone else had already edited it to reverse its meaning.

Domtoni, can you think of any other reasons?[/QUOTE]

Jim, that is what you said. It appears on page 7. You are making assumptions and you know that that means: you make an ass out of you and me.

I further believe that the played race card is simply to distract the electorate from the real issue, that the administration is not doing their job, there is no recovery (I think we have a dead cat bounce now in the markets, and car sales looked good for July) as the tax cuts expiration will kill both the stock market and any business investment.

]

Domtoni,

You may have missed the UK news yesterday.

From the Guardian

HSBC kicked off the interim bank reporting season today with a more than doubling of its pre-tax profits to $11.1bn (£7.2bn).

From the Financial Times.

US recovery performs vital role for HSBC
By Sharlene Goff and Patrick Jenkins

Published: August 2 2010 21:18 | Last updated: August 2 2010 21:18

With so much of HSBC’s recent history focused on its love affair with rapidly-growing Asian markets, it may be easy to overlook some striking developments in another crucial market.

Perhaps not as racy as the Asian growth story, but the turnround of the bank’s US business, which has been ravaged by subprime losses after an aggressive boom-time lending spree, played a vital part in HSBC’s strong first-half performance

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni

Once again, you have avoided the question.

Your lack of answer leads me to believe that you can not see any other reason why he would ask for a copy of this tape. This looks bad for both Mr Breitbart and in a lesser way you!

We all know that in the coming law suit Mr Breitbart will be aked this question, he will have to either answer the question or clame the 5th amendment, either way it will be very telling!

Thanks for your participation in the discussion.

Last edited:
Jim, no you posted no sources for your opinion. Had you listened to the two Breitbart interviews, you would have heard the source was someone in Georgia, and could that person have been from the NAACP? If so, what was his real reason for editing the tape, if the source, as you claim, did so. Still unanswered.

Nick, I saw the news on BBC World Service last night, and don't see the connection to the Shirley Sherrod affair. The US economy is in a catastrophic state, published unemployment is 9.5%, no one is hiring. The banks are still not lending money. The tax cuts are expiring in December and the economy, as I see now, will take a double dip, with the stock market selling off pretty early on, ie December. That is unless the Republicans can take the House and Senate and ram the tax cut legislation through congress and override the President's veto.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim, no you posted no sources for your opinion.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Posted be Domtoni

Gee Domtoni

See if you can work this one out, it's no too tough.

My opinion..................what source?

I'm thinking maybe..................Me!

Jim, then what you put is your opinion, and you don't have an exclusive right on truth. Everyone here has an element of truth, and we will never know what actually transpired, what forces are behind it, and perhaps the bigger picture is something we are totally unable to understand.

Have you thought about going to work for MSNBC? Their ratings are in the toilet and can use some fresh thinking.

Pat

Supporter
Is HSBC a US Bank, did they get TARP? Does the U.S. government have an ownership position in them? I didn't think so. The Fed Chairman indicated fears have grown that the recovery could be derailed if Europe's debt crisis turns into a broader financial contagion, crimping lending in the United States and around the globe. The situation has spooked investors, sending Wall Street into fits of panic. Bernanke said the Fed is monitoring the European crisis carefully, and he believes European leaders are taking the right steps to deal with the problems.

Now you may ask, why is only half of the stimulus spent so far? What's the hold up (besides the generational one to the taxpayers)? Why are all these Democrat ethics hearings happening now??
Obama doesn't run again until 2012. He's written off the midterms by design. By 2012 he'll need at least one chamber in Republican hands to blame them for the economy's continued failure to perform and create jobs (the Bush bashing doesn't poll well anymore) and lots of money to spend then to make the market blip upward and all the Democrat ethics issues out of the way. Then he's got a claim to economic success and a clear path to re-election and another Democrat Congressional majority. It's easy, follow the money and look for the quest for power.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Domtoni,

It was my opinon, and I have asked several times for your opinion, this is a discussion.

Me may "know what actually transpired" when this goes to court.

Will someone answer the question?

Jim, I have pretty much expressed my opinion all along. The Pew Research institute, which opened this discussion, laid out the facts as to what happened.

What we don't know, and we will never know, is what the motivation was. Perhaps we already know it, but fail to see the reasoning behind it for lack of undisclosed information.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
What we don't know, and we will never know, is what the motivation was. Perhaps we already know it, but fail to see the reasoning behind it for lack of undisclosed information.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Posted by Domtoni

Domtoni, are you ok?

I think the motivation behind this is very, very clear.

Someone edited a tape in such a way as to make Ms Sharrod appear to be a racist.

The only question we now have is who edited the tape.

Some things to look for:

Who stood to gain from showing the NAACP/Ms Sharrod to be racist?

Nick, I saw the news on BBC World Service last night, and don't see the connection to the Shirley Sherrod affair. .

Domtoni,

I really don't want to sound condescending; you may have missed a couple of things.

1 It was you that posted the following on this thread, "there is no recovery (I think we have a dead cat bounce now in the markets, and car sales looked good for July)"

So I am sorry if you "don't see the connection to the Shirley Sherrod affair" perhaps you did not mean to post it, but you did and used it in your argument, so it is unfair to then have a go at me for responding that part of your post.

Just for clarification, to me the salient point in that part of your post was "there is no" recovery".

2 I responded to that with the narrative from the Financial Times the salient point being the headline.

US recovery performs vital role for HSBC

I felt that part of a headline from the Financial Times clearly starting "US RECOVERY" somewhat overuled your statement "THERE IS NO RECOVERY".

Now I may be doing you a disservice as I have no knowledge of your financial expertise, but as I am no expert, I put my faith in the Financial Times and their expertise.

Last edited:
Back