Tips on loading the engine?

Guys,

With a little guidance from Bill (Bayard) and Lynn, the G50/52 transaxle is mounted on the engine. Went slick as can be with only one set of hands at the task. Surprised the heck out of me!

Now I need to load the engine into the car to see the exact height required of the rear transaxle mount (which is made but not yet bent and strengthened).

Looks to me like it might actually be easier to do it from the side of the car rather than from the back. Thought I'd lift the engine slightly heigher then the little stand its on, and swap it out for the engine mounts than see what happens. I have a cheap leveler that should make things a little easier.

Any comments or thoughts on the easiest way to load the engine/transaxle package?

Howard Jones

Supporter
I do mine with tires off and set low on jack stands, rear bodywork off, and from the rear. Be careful with distributor and oil filter. I then put headers on after engine and gearbox is in car.

Mike,

I agree with Howard. From the rear is best, just have an extra set of hands/eyes, so you don't crash your engine into the bulkhead. It's too pretty to risk that! I set/pull my engine with headers on, with no problem. It's easier on my back to install the headers with the engine on a stand, rather than be bent over for 1hr+, turning bolts!
I don't care to end up looking like Quasimoto! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

When I recieved my car I must have taken it in and out 10 or 12 times to check this and that as well as get pics etc. Fortunately there were no lines to disconnect at that time as none came with the car. I would do as the others suggest. I would do as much as I could with the engine on the stand. You have to have a leveler on your hoist. It makes things go together soooooo much easier, and keeps things from banging around. If you have the time "and" you think you will be pulling the engine now and then, I would consider adding Quick connects to all lines with liquids. It makes the job so much easier and less messey. Ebay was my source for these, but it was from an estate sale of an Aeroquip exec. who died and they were selling them piecemeal. Got some as cheap as $9. If you have an oil cooler and trans cooler that is as many as 8 of them.

Bill

Back