Top 3?

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
That is related how to what I asked about some feedback from people with experience on different manufacturers?

None whatsoever like majority of your posts.

Jac, My car will be fully assembled and sent to australia as a complete car. Once it arrives, I compliance and stick key in and drive. This is why I ask.

Last edited:
Sage advice there.

Also, when you visit the shop make sure there aren't any big, noisy, or dirty machines around. Everybody knows the high-end parts come From Somewhere Else so they should just be hand assembling engines from those parts using the CF hand tools.

Oh, and if you see a torque wrench don't do business with them. Any builder that can't torque bolts by feel hasn't been doing it long enough and isn't worthy of your time.

Don't panic Ron, dry wit is still alive and well in old Blighty. Drier than a bag of silica gel after a double martini... Mind you, the CF spanner shout WAS hilairious too :)

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
That is related how to what I asked about some feedback from people with experience on different manufacturers?

None whatsoever like majority of your posts.

Jac, My car will be fully assembled and sent to australia as a complete car. Once it arrives, I compliance and stick key in and drive. This is why I ask.

George

With all due respect the above statement shows you have not listened or taken on board all the advice from various members of this forum.

If you bring a completed 40 in from outside of Australia, especially into NSW, and wish to get registered for road use the car will need to be engineered fully from the ground up before it can be presented for rego.
It is not like bringing in a production maker's standard car and making a few minor alterations to get complianced.

Just trying to find an engineer willing to take the task on will be a monumental and expensive exercise if at all.
Most engineers in NSW are shying away from ICV's even when they are involved from the very beginning of the build let alone a finished car from outside the country that they can not verify components and build processes.

Just trying to get a 40 that is registered in Queensland and on the road will not be automatically registered in NSW without engineering all over again.

It's just not that simple as you are fighting the gods who hate ICV's on our roads.

Best of luck

Dimi

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks Dimi

After that conversation with you on the phone, I rang up the ferrari people Im dealing with that are helping me achieve my GT40 dream, they gave me a contact to an engineer they use and said "if he cant help, then nobody can". So I called him up, I explained to him (not that I needed to) everything you mentioned how I gotta get the car assembled here or it wont get engineered, I cant make the car how I want with the parts I want but need to use the AU standard parts available on other cars, told him about the Brake problem you had due to the blue slip guys 'opinion' etc, and he said he understands all that, but not to worry, we can get around that whole issue if A B C are provided to him by the Manufacturer thats going to build my car. Ofcourse he said he has to ring somebody up first to confirm. He then made a phone call to somebody, rang me back up and said "look you can get what you want but I will need A B C of you"

He will give me an Engineer certificate for the vehicle without any hastle. Basicaly, if I got the $ it can be done. To him the built here or built over in the UK isnt the problem, but whether I will be willing to pay the $ needed, but anything can be done. He also said if Tornado can supply emission testing documents etc, then I can save around $15,000 as it wont need to get done here for 15-20,000. He understands the whole ICV issue but is willing to help me get the car I am after 'road worthy'. There is also something else perhaps available that he knows of that will drop the GT40 out of the whole problem ICVs have if I can produce proof, which Tornado said they are willing to provide.

So thats where it stands and why I took the position I have. I have not ignored what people have said, I researched, i contacted, i explained and thats the feedback I got and thus I left it at Tornado building the whole lot as there is a loop hole in all this ICV issue somewhere.

Hope that makes sense. I just wrote what was scrambled up in my head.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
if I got the $... it can be done
That would be the cart George. You don't have the money. Shouldn't you worry about that first before spending so much time asking others to help you solve problems that as of now don't even exist? I'm not trying to be an ahole G but you should focus all this attention on getting your education and your career off the ground. I spent 5 years living in a 600sqft apartment eating Ramen noodles doing nothing but math and computer science homework. That effort provided me the means to now live a nice lifestyle and own some nice cars. Forget the uber carbon fiber gt40 for now George and focus on the things that matter at this stage of your life.

Ron Earp

Admin
What!??! You mean initiative and an education allowed you to get to a place in life where you can afford to enjoy the fruits of your labors? Now Michael, there you've gone and ruined everything by trying to offer helpful advice in this discussion.

Hello

What engine company/builders would you consider the top 3 best to choose from in terms of quality/reliablity etc?

I have heard much about Roush, and even John Kasse who produces the Ford Hemi motors. Just wanted to see what you guys experienced with what and who.

Thanks
George
What are your RPM operation limits? Most can easily build an engine to go to 6,000 RPM. Fewer builder that go to the 10,000 RPM range and remain reliable for years. Roush can deliver SB 427s w/FI at $20K. most of us don't operate in the 8500-10000 RPM range. Just the race types.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
What!??! You mean initiative and an education allowed you to get to a place in life where you can afford to enjoy the fruits of your labors? Now Michael, there you've gone and ruined everything by trying to offer helpful advice in this discussion.
Then there is The Forest and The Trees analogy...

Dalton Quote, " I'd have serious doubts about the workshop ability of KIF "

Dalton you have it all wrong.

Keith 1 is actually a UBER HIGH tech guy. KIF RD is an acronym for;

Karbon International Fiber Research Department.

A well respected Board member.

Z.C.

Keith

It takes absolutely years of hard graft to get that kind of international recognition...

PS Nice creative spellin.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Michael

I am asking now because when I go to college in Virginia, I wont be able to research anything anymore. When I finish the college, there will not be any lifestyle in terms of good income. In fact I will be earning less than I am now. The car should be done when I finish college, and since I cant research while I am there, I need to know now so that while I am over there, I can make the call, and start based off the research done here, now.

It also gives me a goal to look towards knowing what I want, rather than "Yeah I want a GT40 super car" but not know what gearbox, engine, colour, wheels, brakes or anything. To me it solidifies it.

Grady - RPMs, whatever it can do reliably without blowing up. So if it can be taken up to 8000-10,000 without exploding, and the engine 'lasting' rather than needing a rebuild after a few runs 0-100 to that rpm, then fine. Since I am going with a small block rather than a BB thats got torque, the more RPM the better aslong as its something the engine is comfortable with and can run all day without blowing up on it.

Michael, forgot to say, the whole reason I am looking at an F355 prior to GT40 is simple. After I had a drive in an F355, I understood that power is not everything that makes a car feel fast. It is also the height of the vehicle, the stiffness, the interior design etc that plays a huge role on how a car feels. My muscle car, even if it accelerates faster than an F355, it will feel slower due to the fact the whole things designed how it is. Realising I love the feel of go-kart like vehicles as it makes them 'feel' fast, I had to switch from muscle-exotic. Infact I was planning to get a Ferrari 308 to start with. Would be slower than my Charger, fairenough, its not really the kind of look I am after (prefer the charger over that car) but, being exotic, it will still have that go-kart like feel to it, which is a step in the right direction of the actual car wanted (the GT40/Diablo). In a sense its in the right category. However, after having met these people, they made a suggestion to me which would help me achieve the GT40/GT/Diablo sooner than had I started out with a 308 Ferrari. The rest took off from there. So the idea is simple, if I like the go-kart like feel and the end goal is the GT40 (which feels go-kart like), then the best car to drive to enjoy to some degree that concept of feel/design the GT40 would provide, is to drive a car built that way, such as an F355, 308, 328 etc. I would have put a Countache there, but sadly they are near as expensive if not more than Diablos. Dont know of any cheap Lamborghinis, while the Ferraris can be gotten for reasonable prices thus giving me the concept of the direction I am after rather than a Muscle car which feels like a boat and thus nothing like the end result I am after (A GT40)

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Where in Virginia will you be going to school? I live in North Carolina, race in Virginia frequently, and attended graduate school in Virginia.

EDIT - wait a minute, when you go to college you won't be able to research anything anymore? What sort of college promotes no research or access to information?

Keith

Michael

I am asking now because when I go to college in Virginia, I wont be able to research anything anymore.

I always take a keen interest in identifying oxymorons, but that has to be right up there as one of the best ever...

Quote G-man " 8000 - 10 000 rpm without exploding "

Grady I am Not sure that your post # 28 is good enough. The guy is searching for the BEST. Space Station quality.

As a besides. This thread is neither metric nor imperial for it is posted in ; ----- ---the PADDOCK ____.

Z.C.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Ron, I mean I wont be able to research things outside of what I am trying to accomplish at the college. So all the time I have to 'research' will need to be in context of what I am studying to do the best I can, otherwise if my mind is divided between that and other things, I will not do so well. So perhaps it is not 'can't' but a choice to not be divided in my thinking.

The school is in Rapidan

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
What school? I don't know about the rest if you but college was damn expensive when I went. I fail to see how you're going to finance a new Kia let alone a GT40? What am I missing here?

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
LOL Keith.

Michael, what you are missing is that I wont be paying for the GT40 per say. My car will buy me my car which will buy me my GT40, so its basicaly traded, no money invested (other than the amount for my first car which I already own) So the money I do get from work etc, is going to fund the college. Once I get to the college, I will have a family member back here continuing what I was doing with the capital + profit of the previous sale until there is enough to get the GT40.

I also have some partial sponsorships to go to college, so around 20,000 is already covered. I only need another 30 000 or so which after selling 3 cars will pay the rest off and still leave me my initial investment to sell 4-5 more over the course of the college and thus profit + initial investment will be enough for GT40 when I am finished at College.

So it works out.

Back