Tornado TS40 #875

Installed my new reverse lock out today.

It works like a dream, 1 - 2 upshifts and agrresive 3 - 2 downshifts can be accomplished without fear :thumbsup:

The lock out release button is shown installed aft of the parking brake handle.

Cheers,
S

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
Fabbed a nice Weber heat shield today from some alloy and rear clip heat shield mat, leftover from the build. I also separated the shield from its mounting tabs with two small pieces of high temp phenolic, to minimize conductive heat transfer to the carb mounting flanges

Now out for a scream around Lost Acres road to see if it is effective!

S

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 747
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 685
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 638

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Looking good Scott. Do you have phenolic spacers for each carb? I made a similar shield and it took care of percolation on hot days.

Hi Neal,

Thanks!

No, for carb gaskets I have the ceramic material ones.

The phenolic spacers I was speaking of are what the heat shield is mounted to. If you look closely at the pictures you can see two brown colored blocks just forward of the shield.

Phenolic spacers for the carbs would work well though, but I have not been able to locate any for the 44IDF.

I could fabricate some though!

Cheers,
S

I finally got started on my long awaited C/F composite, rod type gear linkage for the TS40.

Preliminary data shows at least a 10 lb. weight savings.

The next step will be to TIG weld this assembly together, then use aircraft epoxy for bonding (EA9309) to the C/F fabric pipe.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 550
Made a set for the boss today;)

CF pipe has arrived, waiting for the 9309 via UPS.

Should start the TIG work & bonding next week.

Anxious to actually get some finished weights, but as of now with the C/F tube weighing in @ .074 lbs per foot and the hardware aft of the u-joint @ 6 oz, it looks like the entire aft linkage rod assy. should easily come in under 1lb!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Congrats on the article Scott, unfortunately the pics are a little bleached in the scan of the article. Bummer because car looks sweet in the pictures you have posted in the past, the scans lose a little of the quality "feel" of the build. Nice car though.

Nice build thread and glad to hear that you put alot of miles on the car this year. Will there be any more builds in your garage now that this one seems very complete?

Hi Chris,

Yes, in 2010 #875 will be put up for sale to make room for the next demo car.

For now though I will finish the carbon gear linkage, carbon steering shaft and Ti drive shafts.

Cheers,
Scott

That steering shaft should be interesting. It will save some weight of course, but will it change steering effort/feedback at all? Hope I get to check out 875 before its gone. Will the new one be a c/f monocoque?

Hi Chris,

The composite shaft will not change the steering characteristics of the car, it will just remove several pounds of weight.

That's the plan.

Regards,
Scott

Rear half and shift lever completed.

Weights are shown in ounces and Kg.

Standard linkage weighs close to 15 lbs.

Will be available for Tornado customers soon.

Email for details.

S

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 489
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 491
875 comes home after a long winter nap at the aircraft hangar.

Shown sporting her new Weber screens, thanks Eric, I owe you a weekend pass to an event at LRP of your choice.

She was topped with 18 gallons of 100 Av Gas in October and started the instant the starter pinion engaged the flywheel, 100 LL ROCKS!

Many New England twistys to enjoy soon.....

S

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 519
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
875 comes home after a long winter nap at the aircraft hangar.

Shown sporting her new Weber screens, thanks Eric, I owe you a weekend pass to an event at LRP of your choice.

She was topped with 18 gallons of 100 Av Gas in October and started the instant the starter pinion engaged the flywheel, 100 LL ROCKS!

Many New England twisties to enjoy soon.....

S

Now you're talking! How about the ALMS event in July good buddy....
Glad the screens worked out for you. Is this weather great or what?! :chug:

Back