Wanna know what I really love?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I have wanted to be a police officer since high school and finally am going after it. I have to wait for a call back from licensing to see if my past criminal history is going to effect me. Knowing my luck, it'll screw me.

We'll see...

It is possible to have a person's criminal records "sealed"....had to do it for my daughter. However, in your case, it probably won't be worthwhile. Getting a record sealed hides it from view of everyone EXCEPT police organizations.......the only other option might be espongement, but some counties won't do that. Depends on where your infractions occured, I guess.

BTW.....don't mess up in Colorado County (Columbus, TX).

Doug

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
It is possible to have a person's criminal records "sealed"....had to do it for my daughter. However, in your case, it probably won't be worthwhile. Getting a record sealed hides it from view of everyone EXCEPT police organizations.......the only other option might be espongement, but some counties won't do that. Depends on where your infractions occured, I guess.

BTW.....don't mess up in Colorado County (Columbus, TX).

Doug

Colorado City is where my car was a Detective's car. LOL :thumbsup:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It's like all the "Hip" California people moved here and then got all uptight and will only allow people to be "Hip" between certain hours. LOL I kinda miss it, but not really. The traffic there is atrocious!!!

Brian, with all due respect, "Hip" Californians do not move to Texas!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Brian, I can only hope the best for you on your next move. I always hate to hear about situations like this, always with the thought it could happen to me, but with the hope it never does. I did lose a job I'd wanted since childhood (Air Traffic Control) when Reagan took a dislike to my actions, but in the long run it all worked out well...very well...and I'm sure you'll land back on your feet in no time.

Brian Hamilton

Brian, with all due respect, "Hip" Californians do not move to Texas!

Exactly, it's the wannabe's that do, and then feel they're somewhat better than us and complain about our normal lives. LOL It's just a HUGE cluster f*$%k down there. You have about 10 out of state and overseas technology companies who have set up shop in Austin and have sent every single one of their employees who can't drive to save their lives over as well. So now you have people who drive 104 in a 60 mph zone and people who drive 30 in the same 60 mph zone. It's ridiculous. I do NOT miss the traffic in that town at all.

Me thinks the real "hip" Californians have already moved to Washington and Oregon, not to mention Northern (way north) Ca, around Point Arena and Ft. Bragg..

Hey Jack!
I thought we were friends? I might be offended....if I thought being hip was a feature. Mostly Nevadans complain that 'we' are Californicating the Silver state. Reno south to Minden for sure. But what the hell - how can you screw up Nevada? Hell, even Mosbsters couldnt do it.

I understand Nevada used to be a rockin place when they didnt have a speed limit (a scene from the movie "The Fastest Indian" where he is testing his Bonneville bike on the highway comes to mind).

Rob, never mentioned anything about Nevada. Did live there for awhile in Sparks.
Liked it too. 1969, for about 8 months.

Sorry I ran a couple of thoughts together -

One - you excluded me from the "hip" geography :(

Two - For Brian, Texas has nothing to fear from California yet....as we havent finished invading Nevada!

Me thinks the real "hip" Californians have already moved to Washington and Oregon, not to mention Northern (way north) Ca, around Point Arena and Ft. Bragg..

Brian Hamilton

Well, I got off the phone with the Texas Law Enforcement Licensing Department. My criminal history DOES exclude me from eligibility to become a licensed Peace Officer in Texas. Kinda thought it would.

I know what you're thinking, "What the hell did you do?"

In 2000 I was the closing shift manager for a parts store. Name will not be mentioned. Some of the employees were making fake returns and pocketing the money. Since I was the manager, I had to sign off on all returns. I did so blindly when they were handed to me, rather than examine them as I was supposed to. They knew if they brought them to me when I was busy, I'd just sign and go. When Loss Prevention came in and cleaned house, I was lumped in with them. Since I was signing off on them, I had no legal out from involvement in the scam. I took my lick and went on. I got a Class A Misdemeanor that was Deferred Adjudication and 18 months probation.

Since I was sentenced to probation, it makes me ineligible to be a peace officer.

Guess I'll go flip burgers, seems that's about all I'm destined for.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Brian, I wonder.....would that prohibit you from running for an elected position, such as sherrif? You definitely have social skills, I'd bet you could make a good run at it from that point.

This law seems a bit antiquated, IMHO......lots of young people make mistakes, it makes no sense to limit their future by such prohibitive/inhibitive actions.

Don't get discouraged, amigo......it always gets worse before it gets better.

Doug

Brian Hamilton

Head to the new car dealerships and see if they can use your new skills in either service or parts.

Been trying that sir. In this town, you gotta know someone. Actually, I had the opportunity to become a Service Writer for the local Chevy dealer, but turned it down to take the job in Austin because of what was promised. I'm still kicking myself for that one... Went back and talked to the Service Manager and he had already filled the position.

Brian Hamilton

Well, looks like I hit a streak of luck. I took a job at the local Ford dealership here in Brownwood called Big Country Ford. I'm working as a Service Advisor. Started last Tuesday, exactly a week after being let go from the other place. Seems pretty cool, just trying to get everything down such as the computer programs, all the little ways to do things, etc. It's pretty sweet though. We'll see what the paychecks look like though... LOL

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congrats on the new position Brian! :thumbsup:

And much closer to home so you can spend less on gas and more time with loved ones...

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Good for you dude! And its a FORD dealership! I like Texas if it had a few more mountains I would live there. People are friendly.
This Californian left 30 years ago and don't regret one second of it, 9 years ago we bought a second home here in Norcal, so now when I get sick of it, I leave for simpler life.

Molleur, I am 25 miles from FT. Bragg as the bird flys.

Back