Wanna know what I really love?

Keith

Well, I got off the phone with the Texas Law Enforcement Licensing Department. My criminal history DOES exclude me from eligibility to become a licensed Peace Officer in Texas. Kinda thought it would.

I got a Class A Misdemeanor that was Deferred Adjudication and 18 months probation.

Since I was sentenced to probation, it makes me ineligible to be a peace officer.

Guess I'll go flip burgers, seems that's about all I'm destined for.

Well, I'm glad you got over the "poor me" phase mate :) but please tell me, do these type convictions ever become "spent" inasmuch as they can no longer refer to them after a certain period of time?

And I'll bet you inspect EVERYTHING now before signing stuff off eh? :drunk:

Pat

Supporter
Well, I got off the phone with the Texas Law Enforcement Licensing Department. My criminal history DOES exclude me from eligibility to become a licensed Peace Officer in Texas.

Since I was sentenced to probation, it makes me ineligible to be a peace officer.

Guess I'll go flip burgers, seems that's about all I'm destined for.

The Texas Law Enforcement Manual says if you don't have a class B criminal conviction in the past 10 years (waiverable to 5 years) you're eligible. Perhaps you could get an attorney to talk to the court you could get the Class A conviction amended to a B?

One of the things that really irks me is when young folks are advised to take "adjudication withheld" pleas to clear the matter without understanding it is a conviction that will always be there no matter what they tell you. The only exception is if you get a pardon or are subject to the Youthful Offender Program (you’re under 21 when the offense occurred). At work we would get back security checks that had convictions that were expunged on a local record but not the federal FBI fingerprint files.

Just a thought and good luck!.

All it means Brian is that you still haven't found your calling YET...don't settle, think bigger. This is a message to keep thinking bigger. While I don't think being a law enforcement person is a bad profession (glad they are around), I wouldn't probably have a GT40 if I was one. I got laid off and started my business 10 years ago and alot of positive things have resulted. It turned my life around. I know these setbacks can knock you down, but it can also force you to think outside the box...it is just another test of your character.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Well, looks like I hit a streak of luck. I took a job at the local Ford dealership here in Brownwood called Big Country Ford. I'm working as a Service Advisor.

As we Texans say, "YEE-HAW"!!!!!

Congratulations....this is incredibly good news. With your automotive background you'll be a natural at this.

BTW, check your PM's....sent you one regarding an issue with the Cobra.

Again, Brian...."YEE-HAW"!!!!

Cheers from Doug!

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Some tips for you ( I have a LOT of experience in this area)

Listen to the customer

Be polite

Always be upfront with the customer

Do more than you're expected to for the customer and the Dealership

Be reliable.

I'll bet that within three years you will move up the ladder - and moving up the ladder means that your earnings will exceed $100K within a short time.

FWIW

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Well, I'm glad you got over the "poor me" phase mate :) but please tell me, do these type convictions ever become "spent" inasmuch as they can no longer refer to them after a certain period of time?

And I'll bet you inspect EVERYTHING now before signing stuff off eh? :drunk:

Yesser, I will double check EVERYTHING. And I have since that happened. Like I said, it taught me a lesson, and no mistake is worth making if you don't learn from it. I took responsibility and it screwed me. Oh well, lesson learned. As for the pitty party? I need one of those every time the sh*t dumps on me. I only have it for a short time, then I bounce back. Just need to feel crappy for a second so when I feel good, I feel REALLY good. I get over it rather quickly though. :shy:

The Texas Law Enforcement Manual says if you don't have a class B criminal conviction in the past 10 years (waiverable to 5 years) you're eligible. Perhaps you could get an attorney to talk to the court you could get the Class A conviction amended to a B?

One of the things that really irks me is when young folks are advised to take "adjudication withheld" pleas to clear the matter without understanding it is a conviction that will always be there no matter what they tell you. The only exception is if you get a pardon or are subject to the Youthful Offender Program (you’re under 21 when the offense occurred). At work we would get back security checks that had convictions that were expunged on a local record but not the federal FBI fingerprint files.

Just a thought and good luck!.

Well, I was 20 when it happened. Actually, I was 20 when I finished probation and everything, so I was 19 when it happened. Yes, I was advised to take Deferred Adjudication because "it won't ever show up as a conviction on your record and it won't hurt you in the long run." As I'm seeing now, not so much. I need to call my lawyer and see if something can be done to get it expounged or amended or something. I have a Texas Insurance Adjuster License, and you wouldn't believe what I had to go through for that. They wanted copies of EVERY bit of paperwork from EVERY court case I've ever been involved with. Man, that was like $100 in certified copies. LOL Wait... That sounded really bad...

All it means Brian is that you still haven't found your calling YET...don't settle, think bigger. This is a message to keep thinking bigger. While I don't think being a law enforcement person is a bad profession (glad they are around), I wouldn't probably have a GT40 if I was one. I got laid off and started my business 10 years ago and alot of positive things have resulted. It turned my life around. I know these setbacks can knock you down, but it can also force you to think outside the box...it is just another test of your character.

Yes Mike. I have always been an entrepreneur at heart. I just haven't found that niche yet. I did invent an exhaust system when I was in the 9th grade that the Corvettes and Ferraris use now. You know the one, it's got a little butterfly in it that stays closed at low RPM and opens up at higher RPM. Increases low RPM torque and high RPM power. Anyway, millions of ideas in this head, just need to put them to use. I have one idea that I'm working on... maybe 2...

Some tips for you ( I have a LOT of experience in this area)

Listen to the customer

Be polite

Always be upfront with the customer

Do more than you're expected to for the customer and the Dealership

Be reliable.

I'll bet that within three years you will move up the ladder - and moving up the ladder means that your earnings will exceed $100K within a short time.

FWIW

Thanks for the advice. I highly doubt I'll EVER make $100k at this dealership. LOL have you ever heard of Brownwood Texas? LOL Not exactly a high end client base. In Austin or Dallas though, I'm pretty sure I'd make big bank. We shall see.

Thanks again guys!! Love ya'll!

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
No I haven't but I wouldn't look down at the place.....take it as a chance to excel and build yourself a reputation that you can take to someplace a little more worthy of you.

Brian Hamilton

No I haven't but I wouldn't look down at the place.....take it as a chance to excel and build yourself a reputation that you can take to someplace a little more worthy of you.

No, definitely am not looking down on this place. I'm EXTREMELY happy about the opportunity I have. I'm taking it as an opportunity I can use to possibly build up this service department. They're busy now, but the Saturday traffic is non existant. That should be your busiest day! The techs and other Service Advisors won't like me building it up like that, but management sure would. LOL Matter of fact, the owner is the one who hired me, and we talked about this exact thing. I just have to get the computer programs down, and all the ins and outs. You know how it is with a new job. LOL

Brian
I have years in Dealerships from apprentice Mechanic to Service Manager and Store owner.

A small back beat Dealership is the best place to sharpen your skills ready for the big time in a few years. Don't annoy your co workers but earn their trust and lead by example.

The Owner will notice if you're the first there and last to leave. Never complain to anyone, keep your company car perfectly clean and don't use the work computer for web browsing and emails. If you do all this you will be Service Manager within a few years.

Brian
I have years in Dealerships from apprentice Mechanic to Service Manager and Store owner.

A small back beat Dealership is the best place to sharpen your skills ready for the big time in a few years. Don't annoy your co workers but earn their trust and lead by example.

The Owner will notice if you're the first there and last to leave. Never complain to anyone, keep your company car perfectly clean and don't use the work computer for web browsing and emails. If you do all this you will be Service Manager within a few years.

Dave's advice is very solid. Especially if you are entertaining ideas about improving weekend business - make sure you have the techs on your side and have their backs. Find the ones who wouldn't mind the Saturday work (it might be hard, it might not) and get them on board, but by all means, take it slow.

Regardless, congrats on the new gig. Put the past behind you, and leave the tire shop business in the dust. While you probably have a strong case, the reality is, you wouldn't get much out of it. Maybe you could have gotten the job back, but the Ford dealership job is much better.

Ian

Brian Hamilton

When it rains it pours...

I recently was contacted by an Insurance Agent looking to expand and open an office here in Brownwood. $30-40k base plus commissions and bonuses. I already have my Insurance Adjusters License, the Sales License is only a test away.

What do you guys think? Stay with Automotive and get varied income, or have a fixed salary plus commissions and bonuses? The money is good for this area and a regular salary would really make our lives easier to plan.

I'm kinda torn here...

Brian, at the end of the day it has to be your decision. I know that's not much help, but remember that while work will always be work, to bring in the income you need, you will go best at whatever you like best. Decide which you would prefer doing, if both can be financially successful. If you feel happier being a bit conservative in terms of experience, then stick with Automotive.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Brian, as Dalton says it has to be your call. A few post's ago you seemed very happy with the challenge of building up the Auto service department,
but if the stability of a salary is what you are looking for go for it.

Brian Hamilton

Yeah, I'm excited about the Service Dept. job, and extremely thankful for it. The money's not there at the moment though. I understand it takes a little time to build up a client base, so I'm being patient. On the other hand, my wife reminds me that I have spent money on this insurance license. But it's a completely different market than I know. I dunno... Guess I have to talk to the guy on Monday and see what he says. Keeping all options open.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This is some first class information, there aught to be a way for these tips to be put in one place and made avalible to: not just prospective empyloyees but bosses as well.

Someone should start an online service, with tips from old hands to beginners, this stuff is priceless.............. Rookie.com I only want 10% :)

Good stuff!

Back