Well, I wasn't going to tell anyone......

Think i'm gonna start thinking about a bonnet switch and flashing light on the dash. maybe wired to ignition source i think so it works like a seatbelt idiot light.

glad its was only you wallet and nerves that took whallop.

This issue has caused me considerable angst during the design process for the car, we went thru several options and ended up with the Aero clips like Bills, we have 4 on the rear clip (The pin can engage either from underneath or from the side). It makes the lock down mechanism a bit tricky but assuming you remember to do it, it should help hold things together in the event of a shunt. We have also really increased the security of the hinge plates , front & rear. If you zoom in on the attached photo you can see the side mounted catch.

I, like many others I imagine, have tried to develop a pre race check list to tick off in the marshalling area, and I like many others sit there strapped in tring to remember if you have remembered everything on the list !

I like Ross's idea of reaching round the door to check if the locking mechanism is in place

Iain

Attachments

• RIMG0042.jpg
    RIMG0042.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 309
  • RIMG0045.jpg
    RIMG0045.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 301
Ian,
I really think these are the ultimate. Anything hooked into electronics can fail, blow a fuse or something that wouldn't let you know it isn't set. The aerocatches CANNOT be set without the flap being set down. I particularly like the keyed version better than the unkeyed. With the keyed version you can't take the key out of the catch until it is closed and locked. But I guess someone will say they don't carry the key with them. Oh well!!!
On another note, I don't see any Harwell style latches on Ian's ride. Will they be added later?

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry to ask the stupid questions but what is a Harwell catch ?

Iain

I didn't see any references to a Harwell catch in the above... I would think that the reference to a Harwell latch was actually referring to the Hartwell Latches that many of us look for to secure the front and rear bodywork to the cars..

I have a theory about the latches.....

After this has happened to you once, I would guess that you would not need a reminder. I don't think I will! But to prove my point, has this happedned to anyone twice? Common on, you are among friends. Tell the truth.

Dean I have fitted an internal beeper activated by aswitch similar to door light switch.I no it works pulled into a gas station today filled up didi the usual checks drove out before I hit the road the beeper reminded me, best option i have everfitted along with two separate sets of latches. If you look closley you can see the switch hanging near the back of the fuel tank before it was fitted.

Attachments

• IMGP1250.JPG
    IMGP1250.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 310
I hate to sound morbid, but wasn't it a rear clip coming off that was a factor in Ken Miles' accident at Riverside?quote]

Correction;

I've just discovered that the accident I was thinking of was the one in which Rolf Stommelen received fatal injuries in John Fitzpatrick's 935K. I understand it is widely believed Ken Miles had a tyre failure.

Back