Wheel wells

My front and rear clips don't have the wheel wells molded in. Did you all make them entirely out of fiberglass or did you glass in aluminum sheet to the clips and coat them in some noise reducing covering?

Darrin:

You can use a flat piece of Formica coat it with mold release wax and part all. Then lay up your layers of mat to make a flat sheet of fiber glass for your inner rear panels.

Hi
I have made up inner wheel wells using flat premoulded sheets of fibreglass cut to shape and then bonded in and further strengthened using more mat and resin.
The sheets of flat laid up fibreglass were bought from a local fibreglass moulding company, I used the smooth mould release face on the wheel side to help keeping them clean from road debris etc, the chopped matt finish facing the engine side as this was the covered in heat reflective mat.
cheers,
John.

Looks like there is a FRP manufacturer on my drive to work. Contacted them and they ate checking to see if they have some broken pieces I could have as all they offer is too large to get into my car. Thanks for the tip on pre - made sheets. Never would have thought there was a place so close to me.

Pat

Supporter
When your inner liners are complete, I've found that pickup truck bed liner is a great sealant that will protect the glass and deaden the noise. It also seems impervious to stone damage.

Back