Yellow Race Cars - I Got a Bunch of B&W Photos!?

Ron Earp

Admin
I was having a look through Spain's book to find chassis/race histories of any yellow GT40s out there. However, as many of you know the book has B&W photos on each page that describes the history of the car. As much as I like Spain's book, this is a let down in this day and age of sharp color reproductions and printing.

I'm wanting to find out of any yellow GT40s have a race history. I would like to duplicate a track car for my use, but the Gulf car is already out there with a lot of folks and I like yellow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I like 1025 that is in the Allen book, but don't know much about the car as far as track/race use and there are few photos of it. Any info that people have would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ron

Re: Yellow Race Cars - I Got a Bunch of B&W Photos!?

The yellow GT-40 #8 of Dubois - Mairesse raced at Le Mans in 1968. Car was similar to the JW Gulf cars. Was overall yellow with S.E.V. Marchal and Shell decals. Interestingly it had two small triangular canard wings on either side of the headlights painted silver. I'll try and find out more info on the car.

Correction - The car was entered by Claude Dubois from Belgium, the drivers were Willy Mairesse and Jean Beurlys, both Belgian drivers. The car crashed on the Maulsanne straight on the first lap when the door latch failed, causing the door to fly off.

Ron,

Here is a picture I found about 3 weeks ago. One of the guys on the Camaro site was posting pictures of First Gen Camaros racing and this GT 40 was in the background. I photo shopped it and now have this picture hanging on the wall in my garage. It's 1049 at the 24 hours of Daytona in 1970. I looked it up in Spain's book, it' history for that race is on page 171, and the rest of the interesting story is on page 248.

GT401049.jpg

After I found this picture, I thought that it might be cool to start a thread with original pictures of as many GT 40's as people could find and post them in one place. I found that by doing a Google search by simply entering Daytona 24 1970, you can find some really cool pictures and print them. If you took Spain's book and just started searching the tracks and dates he has listed in his book you would have a full tilt picture album of original 40's racing all over the world.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Dan,

good idea - that turned up #1010 in yellow that looks pretty good. Some awesome cars at that race, I'll keep searching for more yellow GT40s.

Ron

Fernando,
Yo are correct.Claude Dubois is a friend of me and was at the time the Belgian importer of the John Wyers GT40.
The yellow color was the 'official' Belgian race colors at the time (incl Ferrari).On the drivers, it is also correct,"Buerlyss" was the pilot who ordered the car and drove often with his friend Willy Mairesse.
If you would like more specific info on the car,let me know and I will ask Claude in person.
Rgds
Fred

Ron Earp

Admin
1027 is a very nice looking car and is essentially the color scheme and color I want to have. Doesn't have much in the way of graphics though, but it is a very good looking car and the best yellow one I have seen anywhere.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Peter,

That one is the one in Japan, I have the magazine article where that one appeared, nice car. Has a blue chassis which is sort of unique, but the white stripe is sort of bland, but, it is a pretty one. I'm all over the web collecting them now, but haven't found one that has a long and checker race history, yet.

R

"67 Daytona yellow #1 MKII Bruce McLaren and Luceen Bianchi took 7th?

More info on 1079 & 1001.
Chassis 1079. Delivered on 20 April in time for 1968 Monza. Apparently the car was often entered under the name Ecurie Francorchamps & driven by Jean Blaton (Beurlys) & Willy Mairesse. Finished 7th overall at Monza & 2nd in class.
Le Mans 1968:Aluminium flared wheel arches were added to the rear & Aluminium Canard Fins to the front. In practice Mairesse spilled oil over the whole circuit due to the engine oil drain plug not being fully tightened, eventually leading to big end failure. John Wyer supplied a replacement engine & the team ended up 10th on the grid for race day.
Race day was a catastrophe after the drivers door flew open half way down the Mulsanne Straight!! While trying to shut the door Mairesse went off into the trees & 1079 was completely wrecked. Don't know how Mairesse faired?
Chassis 1001: Supplied by Charlie Lucas to Andrew Cox & repainted yellow in 1968. Australian John Raeburn rented the car for the European races. Sold in 1969 to Ian Williams.
Entered for the Silverstone Martini Trophy in May of that year under the team name Malaya Garage. Twin red stripes had been added & the twin radiator vent panel replaced with a single one, drivers cooling air scoops fitted to the door. Finished 10th.

Thanks for the info Fred. I always loved that car. The first CAV I imported to the USA was painted to emulate this car. My goal is to have another GT40 soon and at that time I would love to contact you.
Best regards
Fernando

Ron Earp

Admin
hoj, has to be MKI cars as that is what I am building, sorry I didn't mention that. I'll see what I can find on 1079 and 1001, at least that is, try to find some pictures.

R

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Ron

Does it have to be "originally" yellow

Last year at Le mans Classic there were 2 yellow cars (see brake ducting thread) and I have pictures of both.

If you want detail I will e mail direct

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Ian,

send some over. I'd prefer to find a successful yellow car that was raced that way originally, but that might not be possible as the cars change owners and get repainted regularily. I'm not looking for GT40 MKIIs or the J cars, just the MKI cars. Thanks for the help!

Ron

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

All these from Le Mans Classic 2004

Ian

Attachments

• 59984-YELLOW2.JPG
    59984-YELLOW2.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 292
Back