Yikes!! that's gotta hurt!

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Right SpyderMike, in the slomo shots you can see the wings flutter and debris being shed as the plane begins its downward plunge. Similar effect to that which brings bridges down, ie vortex shedding in a strong wind reinforcing resonant vibration. In the case of a plane, there are two main elements, 1 the torsional flexibility (natural frequency in torsion) of the wing, and 2 the position of the wing c of g and centre of lift with respect to the axis of the torsion. For complete stability the c of g and c of l need to be behind the axis of torsion. Strange to think that a little more weight along the trailing edge could have prevented this.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I saw a very similar thing happen when a Pylpn racer was practicing.

He forgot to take the clip that confirmed which frequency he was on - someone else arrived and took the clip, turned on his radio and did "on ground" checks of all controls that scrampled the signal to the flying plane.

The end result was the same!

Ian

Its AMAZING the things "EXPERTS" and general public will come up with when aviation is concerned.....I've been a Jet Mechanic for 24 years and am continually amused by what people think about the cause of aircraft accidents are .... who cares why that model plane experienced an in flight failure of some sort ... the crash was COOL !!!!

rockonsmile

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I guess it's a chicken and egg thing: who knows if a failure caused the flutter or the the flutter caused the failure. But, there is no doubt that flutter was involved as seen in the slow-mo at the end.

Come on! it says its a remote control viggen in the video notes. Nobody got hurt apart from a bank account so it was a cool crash!

Graham

Back