ZFQ new proposed GT40 transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

just an update on the 3.5 crown wheel and pinion, Quaife have now confirmed that they can now make this option.

Regards

Chris.

Hi Guys

The photos below show another two versions of the ZFQ transaxle.
1:-The first three photos are of the M1 BMW / ZFQ unit with left hand gear change spline M1 straight cut gear set with dog engagement and M1 input shaft for competition use.
The 4th and 5th photos show a 917 / ZFQ with an additional 5" on the input shaft to allow the engine to sit closer to the C of G for a 917 Porsche, also has modified output shafts to fit the Ford GT drive shafts.
Both units are fitted with oil pumps for competition use.

Regards

Chris.

Attachments

• DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 774
  • DSCF0065.jpg
    DSCF0065.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 642
  • DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 576
  • DSCF0068.jpg
    DSCF0068.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 620
  • DSCF0066.jpg
    DSCF0066.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 871
Hi guys

With the development of the new Sperformance GT40R and The Cav GTR40 more requests coming in for all out race transaxles, we are pleased to announce a new optional process for the ZFQ called Superfinishing.
The explanation of Superfinishing is hear on Rem's web site. Benefits - Material : REM Surface Engineering

This process has many benefits and reduces the need for running in your transaxle, the cost is £300 per unit and must be requested with your order.

Regards

Chris

Keith

Hi Chris - the boxes look superb. Just one question for you. Do you what know the highest HP/TQ installation to date fitted with a ZFQ?

There's been so much talk about horsepower and stuff and yet if you were to design a 'bullet proof' TA it would probably weigh 4 tons :shocked:

To my mind being smooth and careful with the machinery brings home the bacon.. :) plus allows one to exercise a lot more skill instead of brute strength and presumably TA manufacturers are loath to quote actuals because the pieces of string are all different lengths!

If you would prefer not to reveal this info - so be it. Just curious is all mate...

Hi Keith

The helical synchromesh ZFQ is rated in standard form at 600BHP and 550ftlb we have many cars in this region of power. With the new Superfinishing option and straight cut dog engagement version of the ZFQ running an oil pump and cooler then I think the upper level will be considerably higher.

Remember that the G50 Porsche transaxle has an input torque rating of 221 lb-ft. for variants of the G-50 5 speed but this is usually exceeded when bolted to a V8.

The 930 transmissions used in the 3.0 litre Turbo, 3.3 litre Turbo and various 934’s The street versions are rated at 326 lb-ft of torque and the racing version of this transmission, equipped with an oil pump and cooler, withstood the 625-750 HP of the 935 Group 5 racecars.

So I guess that Manufacturers all like to work within a safety margin so not to incur warranty claims from people that feel the need to go overboard with power. When testing the ZFQ we destroyed two sets of CV joints so you have to ask yourself about limiting factors. (Drive shafts, CV joints, Clutches, tires, wheel strength ect.)

Regards

Chris.

HI Guys, ZFQ No 50

We just sold ZFQ No 50 to Bruce Benson for his CAV GT40 build.

On Behalf of the GT Transmission's team and R.T. Quaife Ltd, we thank you for your support and input in launching the ZFQ Transaxle.

We also would like to take this opportunity to thank Ron for this great Web site GT40s.com, that has made it all possible.

Thanks to all the people that contributed to the development and testing especially Dennis Olthoff of Olthoff Racing NC, USA, Mick Solis of Southern GT UK and Nigel Hulme of Superformance UK to make the ZFQ a reality.

Regards

Chris Melia
GT TransmissionsLtd

Photos showing superfinished ZFQ gears

Attachments

• 6after.jpg
    6after.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 636
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 615
  • ZFQ superfinish gears 005 after.jpg
    ZFQ superfinish gears 005 after.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 631
Hi Chris, how much gear oil do I put in and is there a way to tell if it's low? Also is there a service manual? I’d like to know the torque spec on all the case cap screws including the axels? I had to take the circled bolts out to install the slave cylinder bracket.

Thanks.

Attachments

• bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 513
Hi Richard

Torque setting table

M6 bolts Nm 14.27 to Nm 16.00
Lbs ft 10.53 to Lbs ft 11.80

M8 bolts Nm 34.17 to Nm 39.00
Lbs ft 25.20 to Nm 28.00

M10 bolts Nm 65.11 to Nm 77.00
Lbs ft 48.03 to Lbs ft 56.80

The ZFQ takes 2.5 litres of Silkolene Syn 5 synthetic gear oil. Adjacent to the gear shift shaft on the casing are two cap head bolts (one above the other). Remove the top bolt and fill until oil exits the bolt hole, then replace the bolt.

Pictures below show ZFQ preferred clutch cylinder position, and the oil level bolt top one of two.

photos
PS. On the early units There is just one oil level bolt.

Attachments

• Polished ZFQ.jpg
    Polished ZFQ.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 895
Clutch slave position with ZFQ GT40 bellhousing makes it easy.

Attachments

• ZFQ clutch slave.jpg
    ZFQ clutch slave.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 966
Thanks Chris. I was wondering why the arm on the cross shaft I got from you stuck out so far, now I know. Yes that looks like a great way to go but I already had another bellhousing. If anyone needs one of these new style cross shafts let me know. I just sent an E-mail Silkolene US to see if I could find a more local supplier as so far I haven't had much luck. It would be nice some day to have a service manual, I'm sure you're working on one, right? lol

Thanks again!

Chris, I ran into a little problem. I went to put the car’s rear structure back on and found that it hits the transaxle. Do you have a work around, like pictures of how other MKI owners have solved this problem? I am also have an issue hooking up the speedometer. The cable screws in about half way then quits and it's not cross threaded. It looks like the threads just don’t go deep enough. Is that an issue with the ZFQ? Would some sort of washer be a work around?

Attachments

• IMG_4529-2.jpg
    IMG_4529-2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_4530.JPG
    IMG_4530.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_4531.JPG
    IMG_4531.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Hi Richard

I will send you a new speedo drive as it sounds as though you have an early version that needed a deeper thread cut.
How deep is that bellhousing that you are using? The stock ZFQ bellhousing is 4".
The Superformance engine is positioned about 30mm back of the standard position that will add to this clearance problem, contact Dennis Olthoff and he will help with a resolution for you.
Please email me your delivery address for the speedo parts.
To [email protected][/email].

Regards

Chris Melia.

Last edited:
Chris, I sent you my address via email this morning, if you didn't get it let me know. I'll have to measure my bellhousing but it came out of a CAV if that helps. I send Dennis an email. Thanks.

Hi Guys
John Muncer in Australia sent me photos of his Superformance GT40 with Ford modular motor with ZFQ tranny to handle the power.

regards

Chris

Attachments

• ZFQ modula 2.jpg
    ZFQ modula 2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 609
  • ZFQ Ford modula.jpg
    ZFQ Ford modula.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 910
Last edited:
a couple more

Attachments