Couple of questions

Hi guys,

Ok. It has become an obsession now. I am living, breathing, and dreaming GT40's at this point. Have read hundreds of posts. Searched the internet for every tidbit I could find. Have read about Porsche G50s, Audi O16s, and Audi OIEs. Read all about LSD's and then realized they weren't references to a Beatles song or the Sixties. Enough of my activities and mental dilemmas; my questions:

I have read of a cool feature attributed to the DRB. Supposedly windows that open out and are removable? Can anyone explain in detail how this works? Do any of the other vehicles offer this feature or do the rest simply use that annoying little window flap?

I have read the RF's offer glass windows. Is this in the rear of the cabin or the glass overlooking the motor? Are there any benefits to the glass or is the weight savings associated with the plexi or lexan make it a better choice. Again, do any of the other manufacturers offer such an option.

Do any of the manufacturers offer any kind of console that extends up to the dash (and looks integral not some cheap add on or afterthought). Say the kind that would offer space to hold a radio/cd player - kind of like in the new GT40. I thought it rather ingenious someone place theirs in the door but I am a little more conventional. Matter of fact, do the factories offer the center consoles or is it a build your own kind of deal. If nobody offers such a deal, I can see where I will spend plenty of time during the build process - fabricating one.

There were a couple more but I will save them up for later. I think I am pretty much settled on the DRB or RF; of course, time permits one to change their mind quite often while they are waiting to place the order.

Thanks for any and all responses. At this point, Ron may start charging me rent as I have taken up residency on this board.

Robert,

The window in question is an option from GT40 Australia. It

involves a fiberglass frame, which fits into the window

opening in the door. The frame incorporates a

stationary "1/4 window" at the front, and a swing out

(removeable) rectangular "3/4 window" at the rear. If you

look hard enough on GT40 Australia's website, you will find

a couple of photos of them.

Peter Delaney has this option on his DRB. Perhaps he will

be kind enough to share a photo or two. How about it Peter?

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Robert,

You can check out an RF car in your backyard - JerCarNut lives in your city with an RF.

Your console has been done before and can look very nice. Contact Lynn Larsen on this board - he has a nice one in his GT40 if I remember correctly - looks great. It could be added to any car without difficulty but you'll probably find a lot of purists won't have anything to do with it. Same with windows that pop out. While I think it is a good idea I don't want it on my 40. Just like the original "annoying little flap". Just make sure you have AC!

Glad you enjoy the forum and take care.

Thanks Bill. I searched and read through every post on side windows last night and found a thread wherein Peter had elaborated in great detail on the windows and posted a picture; a few hours spent learning about a great variety of things (methods for installing the side windows, paint treatments, installing the headlight covers, etc.) Also now know where a car is located - a DRB - with these windows installed and will see if I can visit said car (and its owner) come spring.

Anyone have any info on the glass rear windows and/or a console for the GT which provides for a radio? My searching has not turned up any info on those pieces at this point.

Hey thanks Ron. Yeah, I have thought long and hard about that "annoying little flap." Please don't take this as an insult or feel I am trying to disparage anyone's selection of this option. It certainly beats the alternative and while the authenticity it lends to the car is desirable, I think I would lose my mind if I couldn't 'open' a window or put it 'down.'

I tend to have my windows down quite a bit AND the AC on. One, I need the cooling because anything over 70 degrees is hot as far as I am concerned. Two, open windows and the onslought of wind gives me that feeling of freedom often best felt on a motorcycle.

Will do some searching on that console. Purists or not - I have gone without a radio in my current vehicle for 5 years and am intent on having one for the long trips I plan to take in 'my' GT40; particularly after reading Hershals threads on all the places he has identified to store luggage - I don't know the cubic feet he has identified but it sounds like it would hold as much as an SUV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All that said, if I see the windows and don't like them, I may in fact have those 'flaps' on mine - not likely - and I may still purchase the 'new' Mustang this coming year in which case I might would pass on the radio bit. Seems to me I have sang more than a song or two listening to the melody afforded by a HIPO V-8.

Ron Earp

Admin
The glass windows are quite nice as they will not discolor with heat, warp, or scratch. And they look very OEMish. RF has always used them but they are available commerically and could be fitted to any car. On the other hand, they probably weigh 10 lbs more than lexan but you can offset that by not eating as much.

I weigh about 155 and try as he might, my buddy Matt at 235 could never ride the same motorcycle around a track as fast as I could. Sometimes I question folks "weight savings" methods such as a carbon fiber hood on a 3200lb car with a driver 72lbs overweight - go figure.

See it on cycles a lot where the latest GSXCBRFLTH 750 is wearing carbon fiber headlights, bodywork, fenders, skelton covers, light seat, etc. etc. and has a 5'9" 275lb human in full leather garb right beside it.

But, to each his own, it makes the world go around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Robert,

Merry Christmas.

Just to answer your questions :

1. The center consol thing is not something that I have ever seen. We have fitted cd players into our cars and with the remote head units that are now available this would make it even easier to hide. We have fitted a central arm rest with a compartment below. This is great for business cards , mobile / cell phone (we fitted a charging point in it) or just loose change / wallet. I hope this gives you some ideas.

2. Side windows - this was first done almost twenty years ago by some of the earliest members of the UK club that were trying to make MkIII from the earliest KVA kits. I have an old copy of the Fortification magazine that showed how to make the windows exactly as the originals. I have yet to see a better execution of this style of window.

Best wishes,

Robert

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Robert, you might look in John Allen's book, one of the early Mark I cars was retrofitted with sliding window panels, I think 1021 or 1019. This gets you some breeze and you can at least lean out and pay tolls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Of course they will probably leak. Which is why GT40s should have nylon cloth seats...the Mark II cars had these sliding windows, kind of like side curtains, and they probably helped ventilation. I suspect the only thing that exceeded the heat in those cars at race speeds was the noise.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's my idea. How about a small portable CD player or better yet a mp3 player with a am/fm radio in it. Just throw it on the seat next to you plug in those little ear plug speakers and away you go. Simple, cheap, and doesn't screwup the vintage look.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
The beauty of the DRB setup is that you can have the "Mk111" windows (fixed front 1/4 panel plus "swing-out / removable" rear panel) all fitted into a nice f/glass frame for day-to-day use (like paying tolls, breathing, etc), but you can replace the whole frame & window assembly with a Mk1 original 1-piece unit if you want the "original look". I am starting off with the MK111 setup, but will add the MK1 1-piece as an option for later.

Admittedly, the MK111 windows are not strictly original on the true "GT40", but I guess that A/C, stereo, radial ply tyres, Brembo / AP brakes, etc, etc, are also not original - it all depends on the definition of "Your GT40" !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back