Lone Star is Making GT40 Kis Again!!

Pretty underwhelming. The doors are wrong and the motor is just awful,,, IMO, this is what gives good (read accurate) replica's a crummy name on the market, Everyone sees these and thinks that what they are all like. Fiberfab/Bradely GT etc., from the 70's. More than just a bad memory!

A GT40 you can build for under $18K. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, maybe, but would you actually want to own it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Kouba

Supporter
And check out the "frame." Ever hear of rollover protection? And the typical crush zones look very crushable. No thanks...

The more I keep checking out Lee's build (http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/gt40australiabuild), the more I like the preception of fully integrated roll structure and occupant protection. The LS pics scare me.

Never mind what you'll be looking at when you flip open the rear hatch...

Chris

Chris,

Rear hatch????? What rear hatch????? The body is one piece!
Access to the engine is through the rear window, which must be removed each time you want to check your oil! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Perhaps the body flips up like a funny car, so you can change the spark plugs?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The paint scheme is the best thing(read:ONLY thing!!!) about this car that is even remotely likeable! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

Blimey, that's a seriously hefty looking chassis. It's going to need a big block at least to haul that along /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
At first glance I thought the pics were of a model car! Are you sure it doesn't say "hot wheels" on the underneath?

Simon

[ QUOTE ]
Access to the engine is through the rear window, which must be removed each time you want to check your oil!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worse than that - access to the engine must be via the front nostril cover. The blurb says you take the engine, gearbox and wheel assemblies as a single unit from a Ford Focus - i.e. the engine will be up front driving the front wheels. Those suspension pieces pictured look to be for the rear end only.

I don't know what is showing through the rear window on that picture of the silver car, unless it's just an air filter connected to a bit of pipe for show.

Not quite absolutely, perfectly, 100% accurate then.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ciao

Ian

Actually maybe that's unfair - I guess that Focus engine is so short they could have room to use it on the rear end.

But in that case what do they do about the rear-wheel steering? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ciao

Ian

Ian,

From the photos on Lone Star's website, it appears that
the LS40 IS rear engined! Look at the last picture in the LS40 photo gallery. No joke, what DO they do about the steering????

Simon,
They offer a completed turnkey for $34K USD. Maybe they are using "Hot Wheels" for donor parts??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

god..i was posting really as to comment a TOY car..and is a real one...o_O..also if they are a little more expensive i still prefer all your ones:)).
But are also Cobras from Lone star classic so wrong at all in looking?...and with a so fool body under?..o_O that worry me:)

paul

Bill Bayard-

I contacted Lone Star about the steering and here is their reply:

"The engine does go into the rear. All that has to be done to lock the rack and pinion is a simple 1" weld on the rack's input shaft. It has worked perfectly every time."

That sounds very scary to me.

what can be in your opinion the steet or race performance of this car?.
I mean..i basically believe that is ugly and unsafe at all, but a Ford focus engine on a such light body can surely push the car to high performance..and dunno if all the suspension system (assembled SO easy as this guy says..) and bakes can work good as they do on original ford focus car.
And if u turn steering wheel?..o_O..ouchh..
I mean..a focus is even more or less able to reach also 200km/h with his body...but this?
Maybe Lone Star is also searching some people to test this:)))as the ones that ask to test medicines before official sale...hihihi

Paul

Bill D,

One weld???? Holy Crap!!! That is REALLY scary!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

At least rear toe-in can easily be adjusted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill

I'm sure if they left one outside the Dallas County Jail with the keys in it, someone would step up to the plate to test it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Regards

Hey, you can also fit a Ford 3.8lt V6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Just checked their website. So $18k for build, $34k for a roller.

No thanks, I'll stick with my Corolla. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My mother told me "if you don't have anything good to say about something, dont say anything at all"
I am sickend by the negative comments on this particular post. The people at Lone Star are very nice, helpful, down home type folks. Why you want to bash their ride is beyond me. It almost seems like jealousy, like the way people bash Carroll Shelby.

Tommy

I'm afraid I have to agree with you on this one...pretty harsh words. It's clear that Lone Star had no intention to compete with "true" replicas...so comparison's are unfair.
However I am worried about the safety aspect of welding
the rack to achieve rear wheel drive. Hopefully they've
done their homework.

I'm also a bit confused about their marketing plan.
Use of the Zetech sounds like they are appealing
to the tuner/rice rocket crowd. I don't see that
audience really caring about the GT40 history,
so it remains to be seen whether the product will sell.

I give Lone Star good grades for enthusiasm and willingness
to try something new....I'm just not convinced the product
is well conceived. Time will tell.

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
I am sickend by the negative comments on this particular post...Why you want to bash their ride is beyond me. It almost seems like jealousy, like the way people bash Carroll Shelby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I've at least reasearched it, posted details about build prices and option of V6 engine. It's in the same price range as my Corolla, so as far as I am concerned that's what it is competing against and I would prefer my Corolla. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Others might disagree.

You can't seriously think that it competes with DRB, RF, ERA type GT40 replicas. Lone Star might have found a market niche with simple build and cheap price, who knows.

I understand your opinion, Lone Star are great guys and you are posting to support their product. That's great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As to why you are bashing me for just posting my opinion, PM me and let me know.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
My mother told me "if you don't have anything good to say about something, dont say anything at all"
I am sickend by the negative comments on this particular post. The people at Lone Star are very nice, helpful, down home type folks. Why you want to bash their ride is beyond me. It almost seems like jealousy, like the way people bash Carroll Shelby.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point of having a Forum if people can only voice nice positive opinions? What I like about this forum is that people can air their thoughts both negative and positive. I am sure the people at Lone Star are terrific people, that doesn't mean that what they produce cannot be knocked. IMHO the car looks very ordinary.

Back