Can someone explain the diff between the MK IIa and IIb?

Jon

I'm sure the experts can fill you in on all the subtle changes...but the ones that are obvious to me
are the engine has (2) 4 barrels instead of (1)...and
the front and rear clip have huge holes cut in them
(extra cooling in front...spare tire clearance in rear)which really hurt the car's looks.

MikeD

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jon,

The nose is a bit different as well. On one the section in front of the wheel well, below the headlight bucket and behind the turn sig/driving light, is more flat and when viewed head on, hides more of the front tire. On the other it is more rounded (more like the Mk I.) I have seen both front clips together at Lee Holman's shop, but, in the midst of a senior moment, I can't remember which one was the A and which was the B. It would make sense that the A is the more rounded one, but I am not positive.

Lynn

Edit: Just saw the superformance thread here; sorry for being redundant. - Lynn

Offhand and without reference. The MKIIB was given the MKIV engine 427 530BHP. I thought it ran with two holleys? The front nose was altered to accept a repossessioned larger radiator. The rear lid was altered to accommodate an upright spare wheel and luggage box. And is much wider then the MKIIA to accomodate wider wheels. The passengers door was altered for no cut out in the roof. They tried to save weight on what was a heavy car.
Regards Allan

The left side cut out in the roof looks to be filled on the MKIIb so the door does not have a roof section much like the left side door on a MKIV. I'll try to find pics of the Holman Moody MKII that was restored from MKIIb back to MKIIa (gold paint). It also retains the MKIIb/MKIV dash which is another difference.

I would not have guessed that filling in the roof with steel would reduce weight...then again maybe
that wasn't the reason for the change.

MikeD

Here is a great discussion on the MarkIIa and IIb cars. Page down for a great pic of P1016 with the "filled in" roof. Not sure but probably a fiberglass piece fixed to the roof. Also see this picture for a good look at the MarkIIb body front.

I hope I got the details right Guys. I was speaking from memory. Also since the cars were raced by different teams certain minor details would be different. I get most of my info from the Ronnie Spain and John Allen / Gordon Jones Books The story of the GT40 and the Ford that beat Ferrari .
I also have a press picture of the Ford France MKIIB which actually shows how wide the rear bodywork is. If you see any colour pictures of the cars at the 1967 Lemans there are red and yellow dots put on to indicate there material in case of fire. I cannot be sure if this is the right way round but one dot I think it's red is fiberglass and the others yellow is aluminium. I do know that the Yellow MKIV got it's roof colour code wrong when they put red dots for the roof. And tried to rub them out making them look orange.
I am sorry that I cannot post pics of the Ford France car.
Regards Allan

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok Pictures of MK2 cars from Le Mans Classic last year can anyone tell if they are IIa or 11b?

Attachments

• 58556-MK2PIC3ENGINEA.jpg
    58556-MK2PIC3ENGINEA.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 376
Ian the gold car is the Holman and moody Number 5 that finished thrid in 1966. However its definately in MKIIB mode with the wider rear deck double holleys. But because it has been exhibited with P1015 (P1016?) K MIles/ D Hume No 1 (Pale Blue, Orange dayglo flashes white centre stripes) and the No 2 B McClaren/ C Amon ( Black silver stripe) 1966 Lemans winner (both cars in MKIIa mode). The car has been adapted to look more like a MKIIa in the form that it raced in when it came third. The livery, the tail arrangement. As for the black and white car this looks like its in early MKIIa trim? Not sure about the tail! Need more photo!
Regards Allan

Back