Sherman, set the wayback machine.....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
.......Yes, Mr. Peabody.

From "Competition Press and Autoweek" February 6, 1971, I give you:

Sports & Imports section,

1) FORD GT40. Street model, 8000 miles, air conditioning. Immaculate $15,000 firm. Ralph Bockmier. 340 W Riverside, Spokane, Wash. 99202; (509) TE8-5268

2) FORD GT40- Very nice, still has manufacturer's certificate. Make offer. Am going to sell. Leon Murphey, 408 Scott St., Wichita Falls, Tex; (817) 322-9191

Collectors' Cars section:

ROAD GOING, fully customized & converted Ford GT40's and Lola T70 Coupes. We have a limited supply of the above cars that have been completely stripped down, fully trimmed and rebuilt to concours standards for street use. GT40's $11,500. Lolas $9500. Full details. CLASSIC 8 The Beeches, Didsbury, Manchester, 30, England; 061-445-5142

I am gonna offer Ralph $14,500 and if he doesn't take it I'll order one from Classic 8. But then Leon IS open to offers so maybe 10 grand will buy it!

Ah, hindsight.......................

Rick

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

Sitting next to the computer. My scanner took the big dump, otherwise I would have posted the original.

Plus a lot of old ROAD & TRACKS with ads from Harry Heinl in Miami Lakes, Fl. with "original MK II Bs and MK IVs "restored and trimmed at Holman-Moody"........to quote the advert, "Expensive" .....probably over 15,000 dollars!!!!!!!!

If someone wants to scan these, I will send 'em on.

Rick

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
$15,000 was a good chunk of change in '71 - perhaps equiv to $125,000 or more in today's dollars. You could buy a small house for $15,000 at that time.

That's not to say that buying a GT40 back then at that price wouldn't have been a phenomenal investment!!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Back then you could buy a Pantera for $10K and a ZF 5 DS25 went for $5K (I priced one at the Ferrrar/Lamborghini/Maserati dealership in Chicago around that time.) If you consider that, the price of the RBTs now isn't all that bad.

Lynn

Got together with a few of my buddies for a holiday "car lunch" the other day. When the conversation got around to my GT40 one of my pals told me about the time he was offered one of the original GT40s that Ford had used on the auto show circuit. It had some minor dings from mishandling and needed to have the paint refinished, otherwise it was all there. Asking price was $4K! He had to pass because he had tapped himself out buying a Cobra. (Don't feel bad for him though. He is reportedly the last remaining original owner of a big block Cobra.) Then my friend Bob Shaw told me about trading his original GT40, PLUS CASH, for a DeTomaso Mangusta in 1969. DOHHH!!!!! There again, Bob can look back and smile because he still has some incredible cars.

I have a copy of Road and Track with the original launch for the T70 Mk3 coupe and complete with 331CI full race engine and ZF transaxle...not a Hewland.....at that time was 17,000usd.

The same issue has the P4 being the current Tour De Force car....way cool mag...$6 at a local swap meet and its like new.....

Ron Earp

Admin
gt40fran said:
..$6 at a local swap meet and its like new.....

Exactly why I toss all of mine in the round file after reading them. A perfect one goes for $6 30 years later, I wonder what my well-read versions would be worth? Nada!

Back