Radiator bleed valve

CURRENTLY BANNED
On the top of my standard GTD radiator I have two holes that are currently fitted with blanking plugs.
On other GTD's I have seen, these holes are fitted with bleed valves. I have tried several local plumbers merchants, but the bleed valves they have are fitted with a slightly different thread.
Can anybody tell me where in the UK I can find bleed valves that will fit the standard GTD radiator?
Thank you.

Let's put this back up for a look. I'd like to use these fittings in my GTD radiator for purging air back to the coolant swirl tank (for lack of a better name)but the plugs are solid. Has anyone found something that will screw into the hole to which I can attach a bleed line?

I know I can pull the radiator and solder a fitting in, but I'd prefer the simple route if I can get there from here.

Many Thanks
Brian

Howard Jones

Supporter
My GTD radiator was threaded for 1/4 pipe. An-4 to 1/4" pipe fitted right up. I T'ed them both and ran a 1/4" line back to the surge tank. I also tapped and fitted two 1/4" An fitting on the two rear water passages on the intake mainfold and ran a line to the surge tank.

This system will self bleed and solve most of the AIR problems in a GTD system. I have also replaced the thermostat with a disk that has a 5/8" diameter hole in it. I can now drain the system and apon refill simply let it self bleed. No muss no fuss.

Last edited:
Thanks Howard, I have fitted the intake bleeds as is common practice now. What I'll likely do tomorrow is to investigate the radiator fitting that the plugs screw into and see if there is enough meat in there to drill and tap to a pipe thread.

Brian

Back