Homemade V8 Espirit

Well here's another oddball idea I'd like some advice on.

Take one 76 or 77 ish Espirit S1 OR S2 and drop in the SBF/UN1.

Checked out 2 today at Lime Rock Park, and it looks very do-able.

I have seen one on the web, but done with a Rover V8.

Would its backbone chassis support this, say 350 HP ?

The cars are relitively cheap as a basket case.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ALL OPINIONS WANTED GOOD OR BAD !!!!!!

Thanks Much,
S

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
What about the DOHC aluminum 4.0 litre Lexus motor like Fran has in his RCR-P? Sometimes they can be found on eBay for less than $500.

You should be able to get 300 BHP NA out of it with a set of cams and extractors, and of course more if you SC or turbo it.

Homemade Esprit?

Look at this: motorgeek.com :: View topic - 4.2 V8 ABZ conversion of Lotus Esprit

IMG_0819750x562.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Scott,

I am a former turbo Esprit owner and think they are very doable. In fact, I know where the first year turbo car sits in pieces waiting assembly. It is owned by a FBO owner here in NC and is stored at the airport. You might be able to get this thing for a good price - it has been there for 10 years or so. If you wish to have details PM me. Maybe you could could strike up a deal.

You could use the UN1 as is, many GT40 people do it, and pick a V8 that mates up. You'll have plenty of room. The 9XX motor was bulky in some dimensions, and suprisingly it weighed a good amount with the head and heavy hardware that was attached to it.

Ron

Scott,

There was an article in one of the UK magazines on this conversion and here the suggested route was LS. Obviously the weight advantage is a major plus but the power would probably trash the UN1. The editor however is following the v8 route but with a ford v8 as he had one lying about.

A few people over here fit the rover v8 and this fits easily. As the rover is larger than both the ford or Chevy/LS these will clearly also fit.

Have you considered a Europa! I have an article also on a 500bhp ford engined europa homebuilt which many of the UK GT40 enthusiasts members will know as "HOE1D"

If you pm me your address i will copy the articles and send to you.

Kind regards,

Miles

Back on 27/05/07 JohnC wrote,

What about the DOHC aluminum 4.0 litre Lexus motor like Fran has in his RCR-P? Sometimes they can be found on eBay for less than $500.

My question is how expensive is the Lexus V8 to keep up and
to modify for more HP:confused:?

Joz

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The Esprit that was sold for 50p (about $1) is for sale on ebay UK.
1994 LOTUS ESPRIT TURBO S4 BLACK

FAMOUS CAR - Was Sold on Ebay for 50p by wife!

Item number: 260191869523

Back