1057 for sale

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Tom Hartley in UK has 1057 for sale, very nice photo spread on his web showing a very original appearing car, AND the luxury interior without the grommets, which I copied for my car.

Interresting story,
Quote Fresh off a recent cosmetic refurbishment, the car is still finished in its original Warwick Green..............
Do they mean they fully repainted it in green as it was previous (2018) red..
1966 Ford GT40 Mk I | Gooding & Company

Or are we not looking at the same car, as all google shows on 1057 its red, and according to Gooding with an estimated value of about 4milion.

1615703641450.png

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Interresting story,
Quote Fresh off a recent cosmetic refurbishment, the car is still finished in its original Warwick Green..............
Do they mean they fully repainted it in green as it was previous (2018) red..
1966 Ford GT40 Mk I | Gooding & Company

Or are we not looking at the same car, as all google shows on 1057 its red, and according to Gooding with an estimated value of about 4milion.

View attachment 113837
Apparently Robert Ash painted it red in the 90’s from what I understand, possibly put on a wide rear clamshell. Still a lot of panel gap issues and a tatty seat for 4 mill

I just logged in to view it again on Tom Hartley's site. It is marked SOLD. It appeared to be available when I viewed it yesterday. Unless there is a mistake, that went very quickly!!!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Every original GT40 I've ever seen featured some crude welding, tatty interior, bodywork rubbing through the paint. Therefore, in these respects my car is very original, even though built in the 90s. :) Actually, the welding on my car is probably better than the original ones. If you look at Robert Ash's website, he goes to a great deal of effort to make his restored cars look exactly as they did in period- which includes some crudeness that less knowledgeable people would 'correct". From what I gather, he avoids doing that.

This only counts cars I've seen in person, which isn't more than a dozen, all told. And some of them were at PB in '03, so that day, they probably looked as good as they possibly could.

Back