'66 KVA GT40 - CKRockett

CKRockett here. Just took delivery of a '66 (Ford) KVA GT40 Roadster a week ago last Thursday. As I'm sure with most here... a lifetime dream... since they were first introduced in the '60s. Getting familiar with the car and with this group. I'm hoping this will be a great resource for info. Having said that, I'll kick this off with a question, hoping someone(s) here can clue me in: Exactly what constitutes a "Continuation" GT40? Some versions I hear indicates this KVA qualifies, but other info makes me question that. Don't want to go around saying it's a Continuation vehicle if it's not. So, Hello, and thanks. CKR - Virginia City, Nevada (yes, think 'Bonanza')

Hi. Are you sure its a KVA and not an ERA ? , do you have any pictures ? KVA did not make any roadsters and one of the earliest of replica's originally done in the 1980's with a Citroen or Renault transaxle. The ERA was a completely different thing, expensive but accurate.

I have a Superformance which is claimed to be a continuation car but it isn't really, I think only Gelscoe is that close to make that claim.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Carl, I'm down the hill in Reno, but know a few of the gearheads up in Virginia City.

Mike Pass

Supporter
It would be useful if you could post some pics of the car especially the fronf and rear chassis and suspension.
Cheers
Mike

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Depends if you want to use the real NAME and VIN = Superformance, and give Ford and Shelby some cash. If you build your own, you could, with a lot of time and cash. What ever I do I cant call mine a GT40, it's a home built car that contains parts from CAV. It would be very low for a person to claim they have a real GT40, restored original or otherwise if it wasn't. Build your own as you see fit and enjoy.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I owned a KVA prior to my ERA, it was a tubular space frame chassis so not sure how anyone considers that a 'continuation', to my mind it would have to be a monocoque at least loosely based on original design and partly the reason I now have an ERA!

Whoa! Wasn't expecting this much this quick. Just BEGINNING to get familiar here in my spare time. Okay, posted pix somewhere in a file attached to profile.
welcome.
I'm not going anywhere near the "Continuation" topic.
Enjoy it for what it is, where it takes you, the experiences and the people you meet in your journeys with it.

nothing else matters.
floor it.

regards Ryan
Thanks. Enjoying is the plan. Drive it and enjoy for sure (will be posting question on track time, but am doubtful)... I don't do trailer queens.

Hi Carl, no problems, i think we are all here to enjoy them.
If it is KVA based it should be easy to spot, there are at least 28 styling differences in the fiberglass body that are noticeable if you know what to looking for. Your profile picture looks great.

(i might have the 28 part wrong, but thats what i am aware of)

Ryan

yes definitely a KVA judging from the pictures. The earliest of replicas developed by Ken Vincent Atwell in the 1980's. I think he used to be a Ford UK engineer before developing his own Mk3 and then Mk1 replica.

Don't worry about the continuation thing , if it wasn't made in the 1960's its a replica, just enjoy it.

Hi all
nice car
Personnaly i think it's a KCC chasis using the Ford Sierra based rear suspension arms , with welded on bracket for shock absorber

Back