Active Power Hood Insert trimming

A question for those of us with an Active Power / Adern GT40s. When the radiator and fans are mounted have you found that the inner hood piece needs to be trimmed a lot. Like 2 inches or more to get it to fit correctly? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Not just with AP cars... I think that’s a common issue with single-nostril hoods. Less so, but some double-nostril. Mostly for clearance to fans and lower radiator hose.

I think they are designed as trim to fit. Each car will have a different radiator mounting angle and position. Extra material will allow you to get a nice gap with little air going around the hood scoop

stack

Have no issue at all with my single deep vent nostril. I even have hinges and did not trim anything. It tilts fine backwards without hitting fans & rad.
Cooland pipes run free left & right.
KVA B chassis with GTForte mk2 body.

IMG-20201010-WA0003.jpg

I had to trim mine ( Active Power MK1 - twin nostril), more so down low where it got close to the radiator fans. I had built a simple fan box/shroud, so the fans were ~1/2" spaced from the radiator.

*FYI - I had noticed the nostril doesn't match up to the full depth of the radiator, as well that it leaves a good amount of the center of the radiator covered....I had thought about cutting it and redoing, to get more coverage and better cooling. I opted to leave it as-is...I have a 427 that makes ~600HP, and the cooling system has been more than enough (a good amount of stop & go in ~90F ambient, and 1 track day).

Back