Adapter for Audi transaxles

I need adapter for Audi 01E FWD transaxel to use with Chevy smallblock. Kennedy Engineered Products tells me that they can only adapt Chevy to Audi 5000 transaxel.
So now I'm confused because earlier I read at more than one Internet-site that 016 and 01E have "same" bellhousing.
If bellhousing are different, is it possible to modify Kennedys adapter?
(I tryed to search here but got errormessage)
Calle

Kennedy's adapters are milled from 1/2 " aluminum plate,
and drilled with the engine pattern and transaxle pattern
needed to mate them together. Their kit's also include a
spigot bearing to match the input shaft of the trans,
and a special flywheel machined and balanced specifically
for the application.

I do not know if the 01E bell housing pattern is the same.
I'm sure someone on this Forum knows.
If it is not the same, you can probably drill and tap new holes for the 01E bell housing since the Kennedy adapter is quite large.

Question then is starter location and spigot bearing.
If the 01E and 5000 series (called 016) use the same clutch parts, then the Kennedy starter and spigot bearing would probably work. Kennedy also sells clutch parts for their
kits, but they may be standard Audi components.

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy's adapters are milled from 1/2 " aluminum plate,
and drilled with the engine pattern and transaxle pattern
needed to mate them together. Their kit's also include a
spigot bearing to match the input shaft of the trans,
and a special flywheel machined and balanced specifically
for the application.

I do not know if the 01E bell housing pattern is the same.
I'm sure someone on this Forum knows.
If it is not the same, you can probably drill and tap new holes for the 01E bell housing since the Kennedy adapter is quite large.

Question then is starter location and spigot bearing.
If the 01E and 5000 series (called 016) use the same clutch parts, then the Kennedy starter and spigot bearing would probably work. Kennedy also sells clutch parts for their
kits, but they may be standard Audi components.

MikeD

[/ QUOTE ]

This I've been told now:

"The pattern (bellhousing) is basically the same. Depending on the gearbox, some of the mounting bolt holes may be different. This is true even between various 01E gearboxes. The throwout bearing, throwout bearing lever, pilot bearing, and transmission mainshaft length are quite different. Mainshaft splines are completely different."

"The 016 and 01E flywheels are completely different. The pressure plates do not interchange, not even close. It's not just a problem of bolt locations, the shapes are quite different."

And the advice was:
"The easy way out is to build a custom flywheel, using an aftermarket performance clutch."

Me myself cannot make flywheel. So I must continue my serch for adapterkit, 01E > Ford or Chevy V8.

Hi,

I've recently made an adaptor plate for the 016 gearbox, I have the hole dimensions and a drawing if it helps, As for the flywheel i have cheated greatly and used a pinto flywheel running a standard audi friction plate machined down in diameter slightly. This meant that the plate is only 3/8" thick and the flywheel sits inside the bellhousing. The starter motor was fiddly to fit, had to machine a fair bit off and from the bell-housing but it is now together, just need to install it in the car and try it! Theres nothing quite like doing it on a shoe string!

Roaring Forties has made Ford adapter parts for 01E.
Don't know if they will sell them seperately.
You can contact them direct or maybe their UK agent.

MikeD

Mike,
Thanks for tip about Roaring Forties, I have sent mail to UK-agent.

Richard,
Thanks for tip and good luck!

Calle

The Audi 01E bellhousing bolt pattern is not the same as the Audi 016. I took my 01E to Kennedy Eng'g. and held their 016 master tooling plate against it; the bolt patterns were in fact different. I recall only two of the holes lined-up, but that was it.

Andy

Back