AN versus JIC Fittings

I am currently working on the fuel system. I plan to put a good portion of it "below deck" - inside the right rear part of the chassis. I have been searching for the requisite AN fittings and came across JIC 37degree fittings that appear to be the same as the AN ones only in steel and brass instead of anodized aluminum. As much of this will be below deck has anyone had experiences with mix/match of these two types of fittings. The only minor difference I can find is in the 2A vs. 3A thread.
It would save a bunch of money - as long as they work?
Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, AN are 37 degree also. But perhaps you already knew that. I think I have a reference book around here somewhere...

I found the aeroquip catalog on the web http://www.aeroquip.com/media/A-SPPE-MC0001-E.pdf (can't figure out how to make it link). On page 6 they list some of the fittings as "JIC/SAE/AN". Now, I know JIC and SAE are the same, just different terminology, so I guess this means that they are all the same. Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but I don't think so.

Quote from my supplier's product manual:

"SAE 37deg, formally known as JIC and sometimes called AN (Air Force/Navy) is an American Thread and almost universal for performance appplications. SAE straight is often called UNF, this and SAE 45deg, used in airconditioning applications, share the same thread dimensions as SAE 37deg, except -12 SAE 45deg which is 14 tpi"

So it appears AN and JIC are the same but SAE comes in various flavours. Hope this helps.

I have mixed nickel plated steel and anodised ally on a air bleed, you must oil the joints to stop welding them when you tighten. I dont think there's a performance difference just a weight penalty.

Well I was wrong - the link I listed above does work. I think everyone is right when it comes to defining the fittings, myself, Dave and Gary, you just gotta be specific when you order.

Timely discussion! I am in the process of converting part of my system to hard lines. How to I connect the hard line to the AN 37 degree? All the flaring tools seem to be 45 degre.

If this is for a braking system (though it wouldn't have to be), try http://www.inlinetube.com/ They list a flare (SAE) to AN adapter, 3/16" or 1/4" to -3 AN.

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
Timely discussion! I am in the process of converting part of my system to hard lines. How to I connect the hard line to the AN 37 degree? All the flaring tools seem to be 45 degre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to mention, Inline Tube also offers a 37 degree flaring tool. Read the info on their site with regard to what is used where and with what fittings.

Andy

I bought my 37 degree flaring tool from Harbor Freight for about $140. After reading Carroll's book (good comment Gary), I simply could not see myself trying to make a 45 flare fit a 37 fitting. And that's all I got to say about that.

Thanks Gary, you just saved me about $40. I figure using as much hard line as possible should eliminate most problems with MTBE, alcohol, racing fuels etc. All I should need is a short length of that expensive super hose from the regulator to the carb.

Back