Anti Lock Brake kit

I was looking in the Southwest Speed Catalog (page 71) and found what is said to be anti-lock brake valves. Also call a cushion valve. The add says it prevents wheel lock and promotes control under heavy braking. Does anyone know of these and or has used them? It also says gauges can be used with them. Need two... one for fronts and one for rears.

Last edited:
I can't see how it can actually work as ABS. All it can do is reduce brake line pressure but with no idea if the wheels have stopped or not it would be ineffective.

The links from the catalogue suggest its use when a 'badly worn' warped rotor and I could see how that could possibly work. I can't see it doing anything on a decent condition braking system.

Googling some more and the company website Brake Guard HD-400 Braking System by Brake Guard USA makes no ABS claims, only mentions dealing with "transiant pressure spikes associated with minor irregularities in the braking surfaces". ie warped discs.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have run the Stewart LBS valve in the rear of my Cobra racecar with great success. It introduces a slight delay in the transmission of full pressure to the rear brakes by just a few milliseconds allowing the chassis to settle ever so slightly after the initial surge of pressure. All of the NASCAR cars have been using these for years. I think I recall that DPI has purchased the rights to the valve now.
Here's a pretty good article on it;
Brake Line Shocker

On the Brake Guard - I have also run these successfully, however, they do seem to introduce a slightly spongy pedal. These have been around for more than 30 years now.. Basically it seems like these valves are just pressure dampers (much like air in the line - only controlled).. Worked well on my old Corvette racecar, but I had a real bad rotor problem on that car that would have benefitted more from proper ventilation.

Would a brake light pressure switch on the rear brake circuit serve the same purpose of fractionally delaying full pressure in the rear brakes?

I've noticed no difference in using a hydraulic brake light switch on the bike and that moves a lot less fluid/has far lower pressure than a car.

Back