Anybody using scissor lift to SLC

I've finally given up on the dream of owning a bendpak lift. Just do not have the space.
But it's really hard to maintain this car without being able to get under it from time to time.

has anyone had success with a scissor lift -
Harbor Freight has one and several others

They look tall - wondering if anybody has one with an SLC.

Thanks

I have had an EZCarlift for years and used it on multiple projects including the SL-C. It goes on the floor or I have modified a set of dollies to roll the car around on. I have used this one on every car in the house for servicing and usually have the SL-C on it for easy access.
Never had any issues with it.

Attachments

• 20170820_095931.jpg
    20170820_095931.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 651

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I also didn’t have the height for full sized lift and after a lot of research I went with a Bendpack 7X. Unlike some scissor lifts it’s completely open in the middle, raises 68" and is rated to 7000 pounds. I recessed it into the floor so it's completely flush and it takes up zero space when not in use. This video (not my garage) shows a flush mount (many people have plunge cut their slab to do this).

I can push the SL-C on it, locate four 1.5" rubber blocks under the lift points and lift. That's right, you can lift a car with 1.75" clearance and not need to jack it or run it up on boards. In addition, when the car isn’t on it, you get two 19" x 63" rubber-padded, height-adjustable work benches. So, you can push your transaxle, lawn mower, whatever on it and get it to the exact height you want. You also don’t have the posts and lift arms in the way.

IMG_1582.JPG

Once I added the Ricardo things got tippy because 2” x 2” chassis tubes slope inwards in the engine compartment and the platforms are fixed and can’t reach in like the arms on a 2-post. I solved that by using an aluminum 2” x 4” tube with some rubber mounted on top to span the two lift platforms in the back. So, now I slide two rubber blocks under the front and the tube under the rear. This is still 20x faster than a 2-post lift and it’s rock solid. Note that my car is currently at a fabrication shop on a 2-post lift. The fabricator asked me to bring the aluminum tube which made the SL-C rock solid on the two-post.

PROS:
  • Consumes zero space when not in use
  • Drive on and lift (jacks and boards need not apply)
  • Posts and arms are out of the way
  • Two 19" x 63" rubber-padded, height-adjustable work benches

CONS:
  • A lot more work if you recess into the floor (optional)
  • Doesn’t lift as high as a 2-post (although that’s irrelevant for you and I)
  • If you drop something, it seems to wind up in the trench
  • Can’t access the bolts mounted under the side pods or the outer seat mounts. I lift the car, slide lift jacks underneath and drop the car when I need to do this. You could also jack the car like you would with a two post and use taller blocks.
If I had a larger garage, I’d have a 2-post and the 7x, but the car would spend the majority of the time on the 7x. If I could only have one, that would be a tougher call. My point is that you’re not compromising much if at all with a scissor lift for a SL-C, especially if you recess it into the floor.

I’m a big fan of the QuickJack. You can store it vertically strapped against the wall if you need to get it out of the way. Or just drive over them ;) I keep mine stored on the floor, between the 2 ramps of my 4 post. I store the SLC on the 4 post and drive my daily right over the quick jacks for parking.

I love the twin bush lift. Have one in my home garage. Going to be a dealer for them. Cost is great. Quality is second to none. Will lift 6600 lbs. up to 72 inches.

Attachments

• 700DCFFE-05F5-42D5-9027-4DAF0E608A50.jpeg
    700DCFFE-05F5-42D5-9027-4DAF0E608A50.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 588
  • C38FC6A0-3C28-4FB0-8E51-0AC8334DC72C.jpeg
    C38FC6A0-3C28-4FB0-8E51-0AC8334DC72C.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 542
I did a fair amount of research before pulling the trigger on my 4 post. When it came to single post lifts the only company I was willing to look at was the AC lifts one.

https://aclifts.com/lifts/m-1-single-post-car-lift/

Some more reading here if you’re interested in my thought process. I was focused primarily on a storage solution moreso than something to use as an active workspace. For working on the car the quickjack is my preferred solution.

https://socalslc.com/2018/01/02/23-bendpak-hd-9-some-assembly-required/

They must meet appropriate 'safety' standards or they couldn't be sold...buuut, I wouldn't feel safe getting under any car one of them has hoisted into the air..

It's a 'gut feeling' thing...not 'engineering-based'.
Larry, that was my initial reaction!! The look of it..... I haven't made any purchase yet. I was thinking of a two post lift, but the portability is the big sell for me. I have looked for reviews and it seems like the one post lift does well. Engineering wise, there is no reason I can see it to be a problem. But the visuals do look concerning!!! :)

Joel K

Supporter
Like Mike S I have the EZCarlift and it does the job. A bit expensive for what it is, a big scissor jack. But I like the fact it is very light, can raise the car 26” and weighs about 45 pounds a side so easily storable or portable.

Here are a couple pics...

F2FEC17D-2B6E-44BA-8D35-BCE99AD9669E.jpeg

8C9965F8-025D-4477-B5EB-02B5FD9B85F0.jpeg

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
While looking into the EZ car lift per Joel and Mark's recommendation, I went to their in the news page.
https://ezcarlift.com/news.html
It appears they haven't had any new news reported since 2012. Was wondering if they have anything new, or are just relying on their original product. I am currently looking into the in floor Bend Pack SP-7X like Scott has.The zero ground clearance and no storage issue looks like definite plus. Doing the ground work for a new shop currently and looking into ALL possibilities.

Regards Brian

Joel K

Supporter
While looking into the EZ car lift per Joel and Mark's recommendation, I went to their in the news page.
https://ezcarlift.com/news.html
It appears they haven't had any new news reported since 2012. Was wondering if they have anything new, or are just relying on their original product. I am currently looking into the in floor Bend Pack SP-7X like Scott has.The zero ground clearance and no storage issue looks like definite plus. Doing the ground work for a new shop currently and looking into ALL possibilities.

Regards Brian

I bought mine last May. It’s a small business and when you call you speak to Boytcho who is the guy who created it. He was very good to deal with and no issues with using the lift. Not sure about anything new but they have a lot of options already. It’s a unique product, pretty basic and gets the job done.

I ended up with the BendPac SL5000 - slides right under the car and perfectly clears the seat floor panels with 2 mm to spare.
Lifts the car an actual 19 inches - was just what I needed to rebuild the fuel system.

Home Depot and Costco had them on sale for around $1000 this summer.

Thanks for all the tips

Back