At Goodwood the other day....

G

At Goodwood the other day I took part in a track day/test day with my GTD. Willie Green was there and we had a good natter. He was asked about his time at the Revival meeting this year when (in 1027 I think) a doughnut broke on the start line when he was in pole position. Frustrating as he was feeling confident of a win. However we asked about lap times which Andrew had timed at best 1 min 25 and at worst about 1 min 38 for the "slower" 40's. He asked us to remember that all the 40's were on skinny control tyres and rims as the cars had to run in pre 1966 spec. Most were Dunlop Post Historic tyres but slimmer versions than the 12 by 6 by 15 (rears) and 10 by 4.75 by 15 (fronts) that I run on my car. He also said that his brakes were solid non vented disc brakes and so were quite scary when needing to stop after Lavant Straight for Woodcote corner. For comparison only, my lap times on this nice warm day (eventually) got down to as low as 1 min 31.39 with a average lap at about 1 min 35. However there was this Nissan powered Jade Track Star circulating at 1 min 11 secs and complaining that the extra silencing was strangling the engine!

Later on in the day Willie and I just so happened to be on the circuit together, he in his Ford and me in my "Ford". Because mine was not a Ford Capri I was able to blast past on the straight but to sit behind Willie as we hurtled round some of the corners was brilliant. Seeing this old Capri on the edge was enlightening and trying to stay with Willie in the corners was fun. If I ever got opposite lock on where he used it, it would, for me, normally spell a trip into the scenery! However many track days or even competitions you do, to see a professional race driver at work just shows they are a breed apart. I wish I could drive as well as the worst F1 driver!

I also wish I had the F1 mechanics to hand as later on in the day my jinx struck again and an air filter nut vibrated loose (after years of not moving!)and is now declared missing! Anyone for a sweep stake on which cylinder it is in?

Malcolm

#7. That is the unlucky cylinder. At least in EFI cars.
wink.gif

Nice write up Malcolm.

G

No EFI on my car, just a holley double pumper.

I suspect it will be cylinder 5 6 7 or 8 being on the outside of the track so first I am going to see if I can recover the nut out of a spark plug hole and then I should only have to take one head off, not two. However I may be persuaded to go against all my principles and top and tail the engine for a complete check over as it has been untouched for a few years. Yesterday I bought a good engine stand in preparation.

Malcolm

MWGT40

Supporter
Malc,

It would have been interesting to see what times Willie would have posted in your car. Have any of the professional drivers took one of the clubs cars around Goodwood yet (like with Brian Redman in Robin's GTD at Spa)?

Willie Green also drove Robins Car at Spa the year before Brian Redman drove it. His comments on the car were also full of praise , and we noticed that while he said he only wanted to do a couple of laps, he enjoyed himself so much that he stayed out until he ran out of fuel! Frank

Hi Malc, before you take the lid off your motor, I have a fibreoptic endoscope that will allow you to look into the plug hole and see what damage is done.

regards, Jasper

G

Thanks Mike,I may well take you up on that. I am disappointed that you haven't got a Xray machine yet as I have a job for that when you do!

I will call soon

Malcolm

Malcolm, While you have your engine out - replace that clutch assembly. I'm coming over October 30th. Do you need any parts from the USA? Greg

G

Greg

Sorry, I missed your posting but today is the 28th so hopefully you might see this in time. Do you want to have some dinner one evening? The lotus is in one peice!

An update on my car is that the engine is out and heads are off. Mike's endoscope was fun to use but I couldn't see the nut in cylinder 5 as it no longer looked like a nut! More like some pork scratchings! I am currently considering my options but most likely will just renovate the existing spec on this engine and put back in. I enjoy taking on the big power boys with my "mild" engine!

Malcolm

Back