audi automatic transaxil!

hey all,

does anyone know if there is an automatic transmission from audi, strong enough to be mounted behind a midmount v8 with around 400HP? i've read a fair bit about the 016 and 01E's just wondering about auto's

any help would be much appreciated.

AUDI used a 5 spd tiptronic in the A6's. Usually autos can be built to take significantly higher torque over stock than manuals can. This is partly due to the fluid coupling characteristics of the torque converter. I know of a guy that has a 350 chevy in his automatic 944 and is now building a 383 for it. The 944 auto isn't exactly a performance transaxle either. So I would expect that if you got one of the AUDI 5 spds and found someone that knows how to modify automatics for performance it would probably be fine.

AUDI used a 5 spd tiptronic in the A6's. Usually autos can be built to take significantly higher torque over stock than manuals can. This is partly due to the fluid coupling characteristics of the torque converter. I know of a guy that has a 350 chevy in his automatic 944 and is now building a 383 for it. The 944 auto isn't exactly a performance transaxle either. So I would expect that if you got one of the AUDI 5 spds and found someone that knows how to modify automatics for performance it would probably be fine.

o yeah, thats the sort of thing i'm after, i've been trying to find a 4.2 audi v8 with a FWD auto box from wreckers but not having much luck, the plan is to mid mount the audi box and motor in a small japanese ute.

which is stronger behind a 1UZ 4.0L V8? auto or manual? a modern auto is very hard to get here, all them are still on the road, but we can get 5speed manual easily from Audi 100 or 200 with quite good price.

which is stronger behind a 1UZ 4.0L V8? auto or manual? a modern auto is very hard to get here, all them are still on the road, but we can get 5speed manual easily from Audi 100 or 200 with quite good price.

not sure which is stronger mate, but i've seen the manuals behind much more powerfull motors than the lexus 4L, assuming it's a standard sort of motor. you would also need an adapter or modify the bel bousing or something along those lines, you haven't concidered using the audi 4.2 v8 have you? bit more expensive but 250Kw compared to 190Kw in the lexus, and they bolt straight up to most audi transmissions!!

o yeah, thats the sort of thing i'm after, i've been trying to find a 4.2 audi v8 with a FWD auto box from wreckers but not having much luck, the plan is to mid mount the audi box and motor in a small japanese ute.

Good luck finding that gearbox it doesn't exist.. all 4.2 Audi A8's are all wheel drive.

The largest FWD only automatic gearbox is the 5HP19 and came behind the 2.5 or V6 engine.

i'm just exploring options atm, i've been told that there were small numbers of 4.2v8 auto's with FWD, but there hard to come across, and if i remember correctly were for European market, so that may explain why i can't find one. regardless the motors are easy to come by and the bellhousings are apparently all very similar so the motor it came from isn't relevant i just need to figure out what is the strongest!!

Back