Audi OIE 6 speed in RF

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Last weekend was the first time I had the chance to drive our first GT40 with the OIE 6 speed gearbox. My staff have been testing the car for a few weeks but I have not been able to get my hands on the car.

My staff's comments have been from "the making of the car" from Ross Holder my engineer, to "great car" from others and "a completely new and different car" from others.

I was amazed at the transformation of the car. The car can be run HARD can be CRUIZED and returns outstanding milage figures. I want one !!!!!!!!!!!!

The first gear is still very short but the gear change and the seperation between the rest of the gears is just supurb. The car was a delight to drive and the car was driven over 500 miles (800 km.) each way to the Cobra Nationals in NSW over the weekend. My new workshop manager Bob and my parts manager, Sam, drove the car and Bob's comments were that he felt more refreshed after the drive than he would have felt driving the same distance in his Commodore (saloon car). The conversion is SWEET and we have even fitted traction and launch to the car.

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert,

Can you tell us what are the code letters on the 01E 6 speed you are using? Most, but not all, have a very short 1st gear. Did you perform any upgrades on the transaxle?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Robert,

Why such a short first gear? Why not make it taller?

What motor are you using and what are the hp and tq specs?

Are you able to elaborate on how this new gear box has "radically transformed" the 40?

Sounds like just what we needed to replace the Audi 016. Is it available from Roaring Forties? If so, how much? What are the ratios?

Ron Earp

Admin
Knighton,

The 016 boxes that are commonly found and used in RF and CAV has very short gearing that has the engine with the typical 26" tire turning around 3100 RPM at 60mph. This box would reduce the 60mph cruise RPM down to around 2100 RPM or so, much more tolerable and would, in my book, be a transformation. As for making first gear taller, well, the gears are welded onto the shafts making replacement a PIA. There are taller R&Ps but even a 3.44 doesn't do a lot with the short gears.

R

why not forget first and drive as a 5 speed. I leave first alone most of the time in the current Audi box. Early Austin Healeys had first gear blanked off if I recall so they had a three speed box with overdrive. The benefit of this box that I can see is it should be much stronger and the ratios appear ideal. Regards

Hi Robert,

As you and I have discussed, me and my 347 stroker are very interested in this upgrade. To convert an RF with an 016 this presumably this requires, at a minimum, a new adapter plate and clutch. I'm curious to find out if the gear-change linkage needs to be modified, if the chassis needs to be modified (or only the mounting brackets), and if the same half shafts can be used. I would also have to locate a suitable 01E box (been looking since June) and pony up for a Quaife LSD for the 01E, assuming it's different than the LSD in my 016 box.

Anyway, Robert, if you could let us know what all is involved in the upgrade I'd appreciate it.

It's what I've been saying all along. With a std. 016, you get a four speed due to the unuseable very low 1st. With *most* of the 01E's, you get a 5 speed, agian due to a very low 1st. Changing the R&P in a 016 yeilds ratio's similar to a 911 Porsche (with a 915 transaxle), which is somewhat better than the std. 016, though some claim it's still not tall enough.

Net ratio's (trans x diff), 1,2,3,4,5,(6)
Porsche 915(late) 12.33 7.11 4.89 3.73 2.94
Audi 016 5N 14.80 8.75 5.59 3.99 3.00
Audi 016 3U 14.00 7.31 4.63 3.27 2.49
Audi 016 AAZ 14.00 8.29 5.68 4.16 3.35
Audi01E CBN 14.39 7.77 5.43 4.01 3.33 2.79
Corvette Z06 MM6 9.09 6.09 4.45 3.42 2.53 1.71
Renault UN1-013 11.56 7.05 4.75 3.54 2.82

Hope this helps,

Andy

Robert Logan

The OIE box conversion is not that difficult fo our cars as we designed the conversion to replace the OI6. The adaptor plate is the same , one of the drive shafts can be used and we will exchange the other for a shorter one. There are two CV adaptors and the gearbox mounts have to be changed. The fltwheel has to be changed as does the spiggot bearing and the back section of the gearchange.

Regarding the ratios, I cannot remember exactly as I am at home but I do remember that 4th. is 0.9, 5th. is 0.7?, and 6th. is 0.60. First is very similar to the OI6 but the splits are great and as Norman said earlier the revs are about 2000 RPM at 60 MPH in top gear.

This realy is a good option and the box IS stronger. The gearchange is very slick and just like all the modern stuff. I love the ZF box but it was designed in the 50's, used in the 60's and early 70's and is a little dated. It is original and this is why I am fitting it to my monocoque but truely this is one GREAT box. Please consider!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

How much? How much?
Please feel free to e-mail me or post. What about that new 5th gear?
Thanks,
John

Robert Logan

ERIC,

Wrong box !!!!!!

They are easy to find if you know what you are looking for !!!!!

The box shown looks like a 4 wheel drive unit. Please all out there be careful, do not send monies without having it confirmed. I buy NEW boxes from Audi Motorsport.

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert Logan

John,

The fifth gear will be ready just before Christmas and I hope to use Norman's car to test it (please Norman !!!). The fitting is straight forward and the new gear is inserted through the rear section of the gearbox, no need to remove the box and should take a few hours, MAX.

My worries are the huge step between 4th. and the new 5th. and when we have done the testing and only when I am satisfied will we sell it. John wait a little more and when you get her she will be RIGHT.

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert,
I'd be glad to ginny pig it for you. Think about it, first hand experence with the standard 5n, ala Hershal, the 3U again Hershal and then mine with the 5N and new gear. Sounds like a good setup to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
John

The codes are very important to know when selecting or buying a transaxle from Europe, as you can end up with some pretty lousy ratio's if you're not careful. It's one reason why I asked Robert for the code on the transaxle he is using. For example, the 2WD Audi A8 01E 6 speed (FRM, EKN, CYB)has a net first gear ratio of ~14.5:1 (too short, IMO), so why bother with that one and end up with only 5 useable gears? There was some interest by the Audi racers for a 2.7:1 first (vs. the typical 3.5:1 to 3.8:1), but the project was dropped (at least for now).

Andy

Looking at Garys chart , got me thinking ,,, could one buy a audi 016 3Q box and a 3U box and combine the best gears from them to make a better situation, or even a 3Q and a 5N. You could take the 1st gear and shaft from the 3Q box (a 2.84 ) then 2nd , 3rd and 4th from the other box, and maybe the overdrive from the 3Q also. You could use the 3.89 RP gear from the 3U box . If you could do this the ratios dont look that far from some other V8 sports cars on the list. You guys are the experts , the boxes sound low cost enough to do this. plz reply regards,,, Dan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dan,

The 3Q trans is an 093 series listed for the '84 -'87 Audi 80/90. I have not seen one for myself, but I suspect it is different than the 016 used in the Audi 5000. As such, I also suspect that the gears will not interchange.

Andy

Bill, that Ebay link is for an AWD version of the 01E transmission. I don't know about Australia, but the 2WD version was never imported to the US by Audi, although it may be on the current VW Passat if it is available in the US with a 6-speed manual.

Back