Big block SLC?

As I'm in the dreaming/planning stages the engine decision is top on the list. While I'd originally been thinking about a ford coyote with a possible twin turbo upgrade, that would end up being a fairly spendy power plant, and transaxle. With the discussion of the RCR's MkIV the wheels started spinning as it were.

397-M-6007-Z427ART.jpg

All aluminum ford 427 crate engine, 600 hp and 585 ft/lb. I haven't been able to find the weight of the engine, but I can't imagine ever finding that powerplant as insufficient, and from G-box's literature their modified Porsche transaxle should be up to the task.

So, is a big block V-8 a viable option?

That 427 in your post is not a 'Big Block', dimensionally it a 351w that has been bored & stroked to obtain the 427 cu in capacity. Personally I think you would quickly find this engine unsuitable if you intend to drive your MKIV in a spirited manner. Something with a shorter stroke that can rev a bit higher would be nice.

If you want a 'period correct' FE for the MKIV you will need to start pricing up FE stuff from someone like Keith Craft.

I'm looking for an SLC power plant, it's just that reading about the mkIV made me think about a 427 mill as an option. While I can appreciate a high revving mill. I'm having a hard time believing a car barely over 2000 pounds with 600 up would be incapable of spirited driving

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
With the SLC being designed primarily for ease of assembly with the LS series engines, it would be a shame to put one together with anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ford-o-phile and if I ever get lucky and have the chance to build or own a GT40 it WILL have a Ford engine...but the SLC isn't a Ford and those LS engines put out crazy power numbers and retain their streetability.

Give it a second thought......:idea:

Cheers!!!

Doug

I have a LS7 in mine 427cid with just a cam change and a reflashed ECM its making 630hp and 555 fpt its all aluminum with a dry sump. Pretty much all your gonna want
unless you feel you need of the sound of turbos lol.

Back