Bob Bonurant drives RF GT40 !!

This past week has been a real busy one for me. I didn't want to spill the beans until I new for sure what was going to happen. Last week Gordon asked if I would like the car used in a magazine shoot in conjuction with a story about Bob and his school. Well needless to say I said YOU BET ! Well Gordon took my GT and massaged the alignment and set the suspension up for a trail run on the Bonburant track. On
Wednesday Gordon took the GT over to the track. I was not there as I was out of town . Well, I guess Bob loved the car and the way it handled. He gave Gordon some helpfull critisizm. On Friday the GT was brought back again to the track for another go and a photo shoot for the magazine. Well I was pretty exited and I was going to be there by then. I showed up at the track and Gordon was there with the GT on a trailer. As they were unloading it he was telling me about what was going to happen. It seemed the Bob Bondurant was called out of town but that Mike McGovern, the head instructor for Bondurant, would be taking Bobs place. Gordon also mentioned that there was two magazine people there to get the story. WOW! Gordon introduced me to all concerned and off they went snapping pictures and moving the GT to get the light just right. They were taking the photos right in front of the Bonurant building.
After a short interview we proceeded to the track. We were going to be using the small intruction track just behind the school. I'm not sure how long this track is but I'm sure it's over a mile.
Mike McGovern went first with the Kit car editor, Mike Blake. The first couple laps were obviously deliberate so he could feel out the GT. After that, Mike really let her fly. Man Oh Man!! What a sound as he really poured it on. Every lap got quicker and quicker. One of the other instructors hopped in one of the school mustangs and got in behind the GT. every lap the GT was 3 car lenghs further ahead. It was obvious the the Mustang just couldn't keep up the pace. Mike soon pulled in and he was giving Gordon a report as to how the GT did. As far
as I can gather Mike was very impressed with the handling and the quickness. He did however state that he personally would like a quicker steering ratio and a little firmer brake pedal. Other than that he thought the car was a blast to drive.
Then it was my turn to go. I let Tim Sharp of Grass Roots Motorsports magazine drive and I climbed in the passenger seat. Now
this guy can flat out drive. Even though he was not familiar with my car he was really zoomin" after a few testing laps. Basically, Tim thought the GT was a pleasure to drive. He thought that each driver would want the car setup a little different because they all have their peticular feel. Tim was very complimentary and thought the car was fantastic.
I really didn't hear a lot of what Tim was saying because I was still waiting to release the pucker factor that was built up.
After we did our eighth lap the engine went
silent and we coasted into the pits. Only to find that we had a broken or faulty rotor. Gees! just when we were having fun.
Now that was a really cool day. Gordon took the GT back to his shop and he is changing a few things on the setup and replacing the rotor. He is also putting on new brake pads that are more suited for the track and street. I was told that it would be August or September before the articles would run in the magazines. Possibly Gordon can comment further on Bob Bondurants comments on the GT. Not being there wouldn't want to comment.
Sorry guys, I don't have any pictures. I went off and left my camera in the garage. I felt pretty stupid when I got there with no camera. However I was assured that Mike or Tim would send me some as soon as they could.

Hersh
smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
I talked to both Gordon and Hershal today and between us we worked out the problem.

The car is designed with an engine restrictor to limit the forward and aft movement of the engine under heavy breaking and acceleration. This was not fitted as the car is fitted with a very rear beast, a George exhaust system. This system will not allow the fitting of the stabiliser but we have worked out a way to fix it.

The reason I know this is that we crash tested a car in a hill climb and the same happened. Now that was some HEAVY breaking.

The articles on Hershals car will hit the streets later this year.

As a footnote I would like to point out that Hershals car is a car that was built as a road car and we offer 3 master cylinder pedal boxes with AP racing callipers etc and a quick action rack is available but this is the first coments that I have had about one. I feel that Hershals car was compared to the race cars that surrounded her that day and it is a tribute to both Hershal and Gordon and his staff that she was able to hold her head so high.

Well done all involved.

Robert

Hersh, that is so sweet...how many of us replica owners can say they had one of the original '40 drivers help set up their car?

...one.
smile.gif

Good thing he didn't end up on the roof like that roadster he drove in the Targa.
grin.gif

We'll be waiting on that Kit Car issue. Please pass it on when they let you know which issue it will appear in--

Hersh and Gordon,

Congrats to the both of you. I'll get that issue when it comes out. What an awesome experience!!

Have (more) fun!

John

When Bob drove Hersh's car earlier in the week he was very impressed. We all had a great time and the car performed great. Bob's school now has ZO6's and Hersh's car was turning quicker laps and higher straight a way speeds. Bob's track is very tight and twisty. I think the best place for a 40 is a big track like Willow or Road America. Some place were you can really let it all hang out.

Hersh, now you know the excitment we had when Brian Redman drove our car at Spa two years ago, we could only get him out of it when it ran out of petrol! Frank

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Hershal & Frank,

Driving of our cars by recoginised Racing Drivers is a two edged sword in my opinion. They compare our cars to their race cars rather than their road cars and this, although flattering, can backfire. I am usually at pains to remind the driver that the car was built for the road and that the spring settings, suspension settings and breaks were all set up for the road. They usually listen but in the heat of battle on the track they forget and just go for it.

I must admit that when the only critisms that are leveled at the cars when we finally get them back are to do with breaks or suspension set up , I get all proud as the rest must be OK.

Hershal, again a great thank you from all at Roaring Forties and a harty Well Done for your efforts to build such a fine example of our cars.

Best wishes,

Robert

SO COOL!!! I can't ait to get that copy of Kit Car!!

Hersh, you must feel like the proud father of a new son!!
grin.gif

Bill D

Frank,
I think I understand a little as to why these drivers act as they do. They are truly in love with driving period. They would sooner drive an exciting well built sports car than have uhh....you know. Well maybe not that bad. I offered my friend Tom Sneva the keys to the GT and he declined stating that he didn't wish to get that old habit going again.

So Frank, that might explain Brians reluctance to quit. Once they get those endorphines to kick in they don't care about anything but driving.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I'm looking forward to the articles too.
I have never had one of my cars in a magazine before. Sorry about not getting any pictures. I hope that one of those editors will be sending me some soon. If
they do I will post a couple.

Hersh
smile.gif

www.clubcobra.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3840&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

One thing I forgot to mention in my post
was the fact that my car is the street version RF GT40. Although it has many qualities that make it a solid performer I
would not want to change too much and lose the great street handling that I now have.
Better brake pads and suspension adjustments has been enough to get it to
where it fits my style just fine. I don't believe that a quick ratio steering rack is a good thing on the street. although this was available , I prefer what I have. I
used to have a 15;1 rack on my cobra but
I soon changed it back to the 18:1 rack.
The quick ratio felt way too sensitve on the street. The 18:1 was more forgiving to me. I guess it's a personal thing.
As soon as I am notified of the articles release I will post it.

Thanks again everyone for your kind comments,

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Just by having a 40 replica opens doors that otherwise remain shut. You get to go places and meet people you never otherwise would. This is a real bonus on top of owning and driving such a great car and is worth its weight in gold. And you don't realise you have it until your car is on the road. Not many self assembly cars do this for you.

Bob Bondurant's book on High Performance driving is a bit of a bible here in UK to the competition boys as it tells you so much good stuff. If you haven't got it, get it!

Well done Hersh, envious in the extreme.

Malcolm
grin.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hersh
I'm interested and a bit confused about what happened to the rotor and how it broke. Robert in a later post talks about the stabilizer that's not installed on your car being the reason for the failure.Does this mean the disributor hit the bulkhead and broke the rotor or was it just a rotor failure.Maybe I'm missing something here.
I don't envy you in the passenger seat of your own car being driven hard but then I'm a terrible Passenger anyway.Unless I'm driving I feel I'm going to die.

Regards Ross

Because of the distributor that is in Hersh's car, it only has about 3/8" clearance for a frame section just below the bulkhead window. Under severe braking the engine moved slightly forward and the Dist cap touched the piece of frame and snapped the rotor.
The RF car comes with a stablizer bar to prevent this from happening. Hersh had George build his exhaust and George modified his upper cross member and deleted the brackets for this stablizer. So the stablizer was never installed. Hershal and I have come up with a fix and this will never happen again.
Mind you, Hershal's car is a street car and he built it as such. He is using street engine mounts that aren't really designed for racing, They are more for street driving and comfort.

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Gordon Levy ]

My upper cross member doesn't have any brackets on it.
What's a brother to do. Should I just modify it and make it work or is something I should be concerned about?
John

Back