Street GT40 Tampa Circa 1970/71

I am presently working on a book about Sheppards Imports and Joe B. Sheppard. I joined to ask questions about a GT40 I witnessed at Joes shop on McDill Ave in around 1970-71 time frame cannot remember the exact date. Joe was like a father to me growing up and I owe everything I know today about sports cars because of him and his dealership and later on his small repair shop. One day we where rebuilding the 260 in my Tiger. Just before lunchtime the phone rang. Joe always went home during lunch time to eat with his wife Lavelle. I was kind of surprised when he answered the phone as he was leaving. After a lengthy conversation I asked him who was that ? He replied Carol Shelby. I was shocked ! He said Carol needed his help with a Street GT40 that would not run properly. A few days later a truck and trailer was deposited in his fenced in back lot. Two men pushed the car inside but left the truck and trailer behind. Joe determined that the giant Holley carburetor was the issue. Joe was very familiar with SU’s but never really worked on American cars very often. Anyway he got the car to run right and it was gone shortly afterwards. My question is does anyone have any information on this car ? It was absolutely beautiful light metallic blue with black seats. I did recently find a photo of the exact looki car inside the Peterson museum. Was that the same car. Appreciate any information..Jack

Attachments

• 89A0C41F-4974-45F4-B0B2-A30980957E3E.jpeg
    89A0C41F-4974-45F4-B0B2-A30980957E3E.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 292
The car you describe from Petersen is Mark 3 chassis 1105. According to Ronnie Spain's book 1105 resided in Europe from initial shipment in 1968 until 1976.

Well I guess the GT I witnessed will remain unidentified ? Hard to imagine no one would put the piece together.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
There were only 2 street cars with Holley carbs, one owned by Kinsler, the other PR1028. I would bet it was the Press Release car making the rounds. Otherwise it would have to be a MKII

The only possibilities I've come up with are Mk3 chassis 1104 owned by Joseph Chandler of Vero Beach, Fl. from 1968 to 1989. But the color is opalescent dark green. The other car is a Mk3 chassis 1106 in Glacier Blue, but owned by Ford of Dearborn, MI until sold in 1972. The Mk 3's did have Holley carbs.

Last edited:
Dave the car was definitely a MK III running on a Florida registration. Only one carb. I appreciate your help..Jack

Haven't been able to locate a color photo of the Vero Beach car chassis 1104 when Chandler owned it. Only one B&W. After the car was sold in 1989 it was repainted red. Hard to tell exactly what 'opalescent dark green' was without a photo.

I almost bought the car DaveM describes. Saw it advertised in local paper, called, set up road test. I was living in Fort Pierce so met on a Sunday morning in a parking lot near the beach in Vero. Beautiful metallic dark green. I was driving my 63 Carrera 2 cabriolet. He asked "can I try yours" and I was ok with that. He said "I'm not sure you will fit" I said "one way or another I will" Obviously a race car made barely street legal. I was relly too big; not Ken Miles small. Could not scrunch down in the bucket. Painful . Had the $17K but figured could not enjoy it. And my wife said I'll never ride in it; it was baking my legs and butt. My drive only lasted about 15 minutes but he didn't come back for about 45. I declined. He said OK. we stood around talking cars and racing.

This is the color of the car from my recollection.

Attachments

• 1C678419-26BA-4B48-B54F-D44D76A3993A.jpeg
    1C678419-26BA-4B48-B54F-D44D76A3993A.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 110

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
That is P1062 and is metalliachrome Toledo blue and it has beautiful slate tones. I think it is a one of one color as so many were.
IMG_3775.JPG

Back