Bob's EV SLC Build Log

What fun car did you get? I had a lotus Elise which was lots of fun, best handling car I ever had.

I really was very naive on the electrical conversion, I figure a few handmade brackets and some wires LOL. But then again I was also naive on the time it has taken to complete every stage of the project. The fun part for me is getting out of your comfort zone and learning new things and skills. Looks like you are doing plenty of that and then some. Keep up the good work and keep posting your progress.

I picked up a r8 spyder, v10 gated manual. It has a twin turbo kit on it. Very fun, summer only. I bought it as mostly an investment, but it's too fun not to drive. Wife is not happy with how loud it is. We have been a full electric car household for about 4 years, and she does not miss the sound of turbo ICE. Probably going to have to build a valved exhaust system for it over the winter.

I could have done a much easier swap with only a single tesla drive and stock automotive batteries, no suspension modifications, but this would have basically been a a tesla model x or s. I cart the kids around in a model x, so wanted to push the line. There are some very good tesla swap logs on YouTube.

Hey good choice, same Graziano and gated shifter I have on my SLC , hopefully will shift nicely. I got rid of my super loud Nissan GTR, no cats and extra loud exhaust, my neighbors are happy that now I drive a Honda Clarity plug in hybrid, super quiet in electric mode, big change!!

I probably would have gone the easy route with a single drive, but glad you are pushing the envelope and paving the way for others, maybe I will follow you later. Document well :cool: and keep all those CAD files.

sort update. I recently picked up some new tools to aid in the fabrication. The delay using 3dhubs to get parts milled is just not tenable. I picked up a artech 3d scanner, a hytb5 5 axis mill (cheap Chinese desk top mill), and a shopbot buddy cnc router. Just got them all setup and produced my first part, a new rear caliper bracket to hold carbon ceramic rotor. I scanned the old SLC one in, and was able to modify it to accept the the new rotor, and keep the spacing correct. Images of the rotor, caliper sitting on the upgraded bearing. Still have to fabricate the mount for the tesla parking brake.

Also in the images you can see where I am going on the suspension system. I have moved the location on the dampener, changed the bell crank to get more travel out of the dampener, and linked it up to the rear torsion bar. I am experimenting with a hydraulic piston as the linkage, and seeing if I can use feed back from laser sensors on the bottom of the car to control ride height, and hold everything level, always. Not quite ready to talk about the suspension system yet, waiting on some airshocks to come in.

The scanner is a real help in all this, but has a very steep learning curve. I just scanned in the face of the inverter than i have to dsign a cooling manifold for. It gets the position of holes correct, but they are always smaller than actual.

Attachments

Curious as to whether and how you resolved the gear lubrication issue due to running the drive upside down. Looking at a Tesla swap project and contemplate running the drive (single in this case) upside down.

So I have not opened the drives yet to swap out the gear sets and replace the open diff with locked differentials. This is getting done when I pull everything off and the chassis goes out to get the drive assemblies welded on. But my plan is to remove the internal lubrication pump, and replace it with and external circulation pump, scuffer pump, reservoir, and heat exchanger. I will drill and tap the side of the case with 1/16 ID swage fittings, to have the lubricant hit the correct gears, and add a large 1/4 or 1/2 ID fitting for the drain. The drain will probably be on the side of the case too, but I haven't drawn it all up yet. Flow rates are in the ml's per min, so the pumps do not need to be large.

For the record, I'm not the first to try the inverted drives. https://www.facebook.com/DRIFTECH1/photos/pcb.2551848938216003/2551847671549463/
and
for more detailed description.

Inverting the large drive makes sense and you can get the heavy part of the drive closer to the ground.