Bob's EV SLC Build Log

Yes...o-ring. Several thousand of them. None will leak.

The coolant is heavy & not cheap. Then again, if you o-ring, might get away with water/glycol?

Note that your cell fuse is also cooled, lol
If you do the math, there is really not that much coolant in the system when the cells are in the standard close packed honey comb arrangement, line dead space actually is a significant percent of volume. I think the dow fluid is really nice, I've used it on other non automotive projects. has a variety of tunable boiling points, is insulating, ect. Just really hard to seal, but that's the design fun. I think o-rings on the cells is a last resort, or you design it to accept some weeping at the seals. From my "bucket" tests 18650s seem to perform just fine submerged, but I am early on in all of this. I am really hard after the mechanics of the car, as battery technology seems to move faster than the mechanics.
 
FYI Creality has a Kickstarter for their new 3D scanner and about 50% off if you pre-order. Feedback on the scanner sounds great, I can't wait to get started scanning stuff.
 
When it comes to scanners, you get what you pay for.

If it's anything like their printers, which I have several of, it comes with being half-assed for free.
 
When it comes to scanners, you get what you pay for.

If it's anything like their printers, which I have several of, it comes with being half-assed for free.
Scanner reviews are positive so far. Creality has a large following with support and I've been happy with my Ender 3v2. $250 isn't much of a gamble compared to the cost of professional scanner and I'd wager the scanner will do everything I need plus alot more. Time will tell for sure, but I'm excited to get my feet wet with scanning.
 

Brian

Supporter
This may seem low tech, but my method may work or give you ideas of other ways to tackle this.

I made a bellhousing to mate a SAE generator head to a Nissan 1.8L FWD engine. The SAE end was real easy, a circle with a ring of bolts. But the MR18 engine, not so much.

I got way back, with a piece of rod in the crank pilot so I could line up normal to the block by eye and took a pic with a phone.

Imported the image to Turbocad and traced. I carefully measured the dowel to dowel distance on the engine and the tracing, and scaled. Export DXF to Sheetcam to plasma table and I had a flange. I was amazed at how accurate it was. Bolted the SAE flange to the flywheel with spacers, flange to engine, bridged with strap cut to the width and welded it up, then dialed it in with bushings in on the dowels.

Before you throw a $100 chunck of aluminum in a CNC mill, you can test fir on something cheap.
 
Top