Braided Sainless AN Brake lines:

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I have seen builders on different parts of the Forum struggle with conventional hard-line brake lines. Some have come pre-bent in a kit but didn't quite fit the chassis.

On the other hand, I have a car I built frame-up that came in component form with all braided AN brake and clutch lines, side to side, front to rear, master cylinder to caliper/clutch. The brakes are AP Racing and their performance seems outstanding.

My basic question: Why struggle with hard lines when flexible braided lines seem to perform so well?

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
David

Howard Jones

Supporter
Even braided lines will swell under pressure over their full length. It is best to keep them as short as possible to insure a good solid "feel".

There are also issues such as additional cost, reduced reliability, susceptibility to heat and, a shorter life span as compared to stainless steel or other suited hard line material.

There is a copper based alloy tubing that is commonly used for brake lines that is much easier to flare than stainless with a good quality hand flare tool. Never just plain old copper for brake lines!

Applications: Automotive - Copper-Nickel Automotive Vehicle Brake Tubing

The other major factor is that hard brake lines act as a when running along the chassis, rather than an insulator, helping to cool the fluid.

Back