Brake and Clutch Reservoirs on Original GT40s

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I was told that the original race cars leaked so bad they drilled holes behind the seat so under acceleration the water would drain out.
Louis,
The floor plate has corrugations about 3/4" tall and that would be a helluva lot of water to carry around.
Ryan,
The MkI & Mk III road car chassis' holes were plated over and also had cowls covering the steering rack exits. There was also a large plenum on the top scuttle.

Louis

Supporter
Thanks James!

I've got a call into Rare Drive who did the restoration on the 1046 and XGT-2 to see what their restorations revealed. I'm still debating if I should put the reservoirs on top of the cowl as in the original 1015? This is a RCR so it maybe a 1015 but only skin deep...

Really appreciate all the info from everyone,
Louis

Louis

Supporter
I meant to say 'chassis' not 'cowl' in previous post. Now that I've looked it up scuttle maybe the accurate term. It runs across the top, correct?

Apologize for my ignorance,
Louis

James, its interesting you mentioned the steering rack.
was just looking at this area last night. the 3 number 2" diameter holes behind the rack, as well as the 4 or 5 smaller ones above the rack on that mounting panel, were all deleted on the MK II. I would gather that this stopped a fair amount of the flow in via the 3/4" lower rack mounting holes that are in the toe board, the ones to allow the socket/bolt through.

James, its interesting you mentioned the steering rack.
was just looking at this area last night. the 3 number 2" diameter holes behind the rack, as well as the 4 or 5 smaller ones above the rack on that mounting panel, were all deleted on the MK II. I would gather that this stopped a fair amount of the flow in via the 3/4" lower rack mounting holes that are in the toe board, the ones to allow the socket/bolt through.

Actually that's not correct. Some Mk.II's had them and some didn't depending on the chassis number. For example - 1015 and 1016 didn't have them as the holes weren't introduced until chassis number 1018 (with a couple of exceptions). Chassis numbers after this did have them which includes 1046, the 1966 Le Mans winner.

Been going through a bunch of photos again tonight, looking over stuff. I cant seem to find many photos that show where/how the brake lines were run on the originals. Trying to work out if i have missed something, if i have the right holes in the right locations.

Back