Cable shift linkage

While awaiting construction of my Superformance GT I've been pouring over the few available photos of the Superformance cars completed to date. I notice that they have been using a cable linkage to select gears in the ZF. I'm used to a traditional rod actuator on my old Mangusta and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the cable controlled system. More or less acurate/easy to shift? Easier or more difficult to maintain/adjust? What, if any, impact does it have on the design configuration of the shift lever? I would imagine the cable would be better for a central shifter location, as it is easier to snake the cables around the engine than to route the rod with multiple u-joints as on the Mangusta. Besides originality concerns, having a more direct shift linkage geometry was one reason I was trying to hold out for a right-hand drive/right shift car. Just wondering.

It will no doubt be easier to use whatever is supplied with the car, which I have heard is a cable shift. I used a cable shift on my CAV with the Getreg. I had it set up correctly and it worked well, but was not even close to the shift feel in my Pantera. After converting my CAV over to a ZF I now have a Pantera style rod shift linkage and it was a nice improvement. Just my opinion, but I prefer a solid linkage over a cable.

Pantera style rod shift linkage

PATGT40 said:
It will no doubt be easier to use whatever is supplied with the car, which I have heard is a cable shift. I used a cable shift on my CAV with the Getreg. I had it set up correctly and it worked well, but was not even close to the shift feel in my Pantera. After converting my CAV over to a ZF I now have a Pantera style rod shift linkage and it was a nice improvement. Just my opinion, but I prefer a solid linkage over a cable.

Who manufactures/sells a Pantera style rod shift linkage? Thanks.

Back