Can someone recommend an alternator (SBC)?

I have a SBC with a Ricardo in my slc. I'm also using the infinity box for my electrical system. I also have an NRE Alien Intake and Meziere v-belt style water pump. Can anyone recommend which alternator would be a good choice for a SBC under these conditions? I'm also using the infinity box for my electrical system. I have my engine and transaxle installed at this point. I'll be starting my heat and sound dampening next week :) Any help would be awesome! This is my first SLC, I'm just finishing up my FFR Daytona.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I put this one on my SLC. Works fine so far.

If I have everything on I have a 100 amp load. This one is a good margin for me. Add up your total load and select at least 25% over that. Too much over capacity is ok it just cost more.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Used a 160 amp Powermaster, single wire for years and have never had any issues. Must exceed a minimum RPM (typically about 1K?) to start the charge, but then it locks in until the motor is turned off.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I guess my major concern is fitting it to my SLC with all the space limitations. Is there a specific bracket that would work for this application? And... What about the wiring? Is a one wire preferable with the Infinity Box? Finally, would it mount on the driver side or passenger side (I assume driver side?).

Attachments

• intake 9.JPG
    intake 9.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 312
  • intake 10.JPG
    intake 10.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 310

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Mine was a simple affair with a long spacer. The hardest fabrication came out of a 1/4" thick aluminum slide bracket. No welding, but may not work if you've got some ancillary stuff being driven off the damper/pulleys. The first photo was using an OEM bracket just for positioning, but not used in the final assembly. The last two photos show some of the actual pieces used. Very simple, and low to the ground. Used the OEM holes in the block, with one bolt on top to allow pivoting, and the slide bracket at the bottom to allow adjustment along the slide bracket. Doesn't look real rigid, but it is.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back