Center Console for 2005 Ford GT 40

Hello Fellow Members,

I own a 2005 Fort GT 40. I love the car, but I have one upgrade I would like to make, and I am having trouble finding anyone that can supply
what I am looking for. I would like to buy a new center console. Preferably carbon fiber. The console I have in the car is the original silver painted
plastic piece of garbage. I take very good care of the car and for some unknown reason the paint is bubbling. Makes the console look terrible.

Anyone know where I can buy a fiber carbon fiber console or any suggestions as to what I might do with the console in the car?

Thank Bill

still no luck from your Jan 2021 post? I know there are places that will carbon fiber skin items, you might search that. I would love to pull a mold off it and make a carbon copy for myself :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hello Fellow Members,

I own a 2005 Fort GT 40. I love the car, but I have one upgrade I would like to make, and I am having trouble finding anyone that can supply
what I am looking for. I would like to buy a new center console. Preferably carbon fiber. The console I have in the car is the original silver painted
plastic piece of garbage. I take very good care of the car and for some unknown reason the paint is bubbling. Makes the console look terrible.

Anyone know where I can buy a fiber carbon fiber console or any suggestions as to what I might do with the console in the car?

Thank Bill
You own a 2005 Ford GT, not a "40". You will likely have more luck finding a console on the Ford GT forum: The Ford GT Forum

I tracked down the maker of these www.kipewing.com . looks like they were made back in about 2007. I reached out and he is not making them anymore and no plans to make them in the future. looks like we are out of luck. Jim

I tracked down the maker of these www.kipewing.com . looks like they were made back in about 2007. I reached out and he is not making them anymore and no plans to make them in the future. looks like we are out of luck. Jim
Plenty of fiberglass savvy folk around , you could have a go yourself & pull a mold of yours if you feel up to it.

Bill,

Your center console is ultra thin die cast magnesium, not plastic. The thing is actually an engineering marvel, save for the bubbles.

The bubbles are caused by intergranular corrosion.
No matter where/how the cars are stored, they all eventually do this.
Jim Dunham has several we are refinishing. We blast and then powdercoat to drive out all the moisture and seal the part, then repaint with the correct color.

Devin

Supporter
I would recommend you talk with Jake Martin (no relation) at:

www.insanitylabracing.com

They have done some outstanding carbon fiber work (of late Honda racing dashes) and are producing CF replica bodies for the GT-40 as well.

Hi Bill C Tom here , Have you sanded or glass beaded this console ? You might bring it to a pro body shop , they will have the solution to that problem . then Devin 's recommendation would be perfect next step

Bill,

Your center console is ultra thin die cast magnesium, not plastic. The thing is actually an engineering marvel, save for the bubbles.

The bubbles are caused by intergranular corrosion.
No matter where/how the cars are stored, they all eventually do this.
Jim Dunham has several we are refinishing. We blast and then powdercoat to drive out all the moisture and seal the part, then repaint with the correct color.
How do I contact Jim Dumham??

All of the 2005/2006 magnesium consoles are slowly deteriorating. As Adam stated, the intergranular corrosion under the paint starts. My belief is that moisture and/or corrosion started before they even were painted.
We have been having them professionally bead blasted, cleaned, baked, and then powder coated to seal and lock in the surface. We believe this stabilizes the part and forms a base that can then be conventionally primed/high build sanded/ and painted. The silver is a special “ultra silver” with very fine metallic flakes that gets satin clear coated as final finish. Other details include the 1.5mm fiber optic light channels for the climate control buttons and red/blue/ black inset lettering.

Jim Dunham. [email protected]

Back