Chassis plans

Bart, i know your new here.
This question is a very open ended question. it has been answered a 1000 times in the past across a number of different forums.
the answer "depends"

what is right for one person will be wrong for another.

A chassis is just something that connects the suspension together and provides brackets to attach the engine and driver.

are you building or buying
what tooling have your got
do you need it to be original
what body are you using
will you be registering it, this brings its own requirements
what suspension and wheels are you using and so on and so forth.

you don't have a lot of options for MK IV bodies, so start there and work backwards.
Original, Original Reproduction, RCR and there was also a MK IV body made in Australia that fits onto the Roaring Forties chassis. Thats all that i am aware of.

keep well, regards Ryan

Hi Ryan

I have been working on cars fabrication autobody restoration for better part of 25yrs. I operate a small body shop now for myself. I have a full body shop of tools. (auto cad, welding mig/tig, plasma cutting, 3 layout tables, car rotisserie engine lathe, milling machine 2 english wheels and a planish hammer and many hand tools) As well I have just tooled up with a composite system for vacuum producing parts. So l did leave the question a little vague so I could open a conversation.
l am planing to use a Ford 460/429 ci motor with a Porche transaxle. I was told that the MkIV body fits the larger motor. 15" wheels c/w wilwood brake system. I will making a steel buck and then on to a aluminum body. So any good spec information source is making my life easier. Canada at times can be very hard to source info and parts. Thanx

Hi Ryan

I have been working on cars fabrication autobody restoration for better part of 25yrs. I operate a small body shop now for myself. I have a full body shop of tools. (auto cad, welding mig/tig, plasma cutting, 3 layout tables, car rotisserie engine lathe, milling machine 2 english wheels and a planish hammer and many hand tools) As well I have just tooled up with a composite system for vacuum producing parts. So l did leave the question a little vague so I could open a conversation.
l am planing to use a Ford 460/429 ci motor with a Porche transaxle. I was told that the MkIV body fits the larger motor. 15" wheels c/w wilwood brake system. I will making a steel buck and then on to a aluminum body. So any good spec information source is making my life easier. Canada at times can be very hard to source info and parts. Thanx

I suggest you get in contact with the GT40 enthusiasts club and get a copy of the back issues of “Fortification” and find the articles relating to the recreated MK IVs that were recently done. Think they built 8 MK IV and one J car in the limited production run that they did. I think they did an alloy honeycomb tub. They had the correct T44 transaxle and big block engine

I suggest you do some measuring before you buy a 429 series engine. It's quite a bit longer than the FE, even the SOHC version.

thanx Bob will do. So much to learn and understand. I also have a 2006 porsche cayenne turbo s as a donor vech.

i haven't got the book, but if your set on a MK IV, maybe this one on Kar Kraft. They were heavily involved in the MK IV program. Its on the list of titles i would like to acquire.

MK2 had FE engine, T44 or auto transaxle, MK 3 was the road car, small block ford engine & ZF transaxle, longer tail and bumpers and a bit more in the way of creature comforts, MKIV was alloy/honeycomb, glued and riveted chassis, FE engines & T44 Transaxle & some auto's.

MK I, was a race and road car. These were fited with a 289 engine mostly.

MK II were the Big Block FE engined race cars of 1966. these have the larger cooling and intake ducts in the rear and the larger wheel arch humps over the front wheels.

MK III were small block 289 road cars. These have the front end that has the quad round head lights. The rear deck is similar to the MK I with its intakes, but has a longer rear tail which allows for larger quieter mufflers and a horizonal luggage box above them. there are also some rear bumpers.

MK IV were the 1967 race cars, based on the J car. these had the FE big block and an alloy honeycomb chassis.

Pictures

Attachments

• 1_scan0005.jpg
    1_scan0005.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 1_scan0002.jpg
    1_scan0002.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 1_scan0008__Medium_.jpg
    1_scan0008__Medium_.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 1_scan0009__Medium_.jpg
    1_scan0009__Medium_.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 66test00w%20Ford%20J.jpg
    66test00w%20Ford%20J.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 242
are those first 4 images photos of your chassis Jac?
No, those were taken in the UK I think, the guy in the blue shop coat was restoring/rebuilding the cars at at the time, they were all posted on this site years ago, but its very hard to find them now that the posters details are not as informative / complete. I cant find much of this stuff anymore, glad I saved them when I did. It could be at HM though, interior of building looks similar to those a fellow kiwi took while working there.

Back