Cleaning aluminium

Whats the best way to clean aluminium, I don't mean the shiny bits that I can polish with solvol etc, I mean parts like the gearbox casing. I don't want it shiny, just clean and fresh looking. Thanks

I used carb cleaner and a rag, mostly because it was free (thanks work). Sprayed it on, let it sit for a while, spray some more and wipe with a rag, nice and clean with no marks from a wire wheel or anything. I did use a lot of carb clean though.

I also tried brake clean, it is also free, but it evapourated too fast, i tried the carb clean because it was sitting there and i didnt feel like going to find another can of brake clean, i was pleasantly surprised

I don't know if you have anything like it in the UK. I use Eagle One (brand name) Etiching Mag Cleaner. It's made for rough cast alloy wheels you spray it on,wait a few minutes then rince it off with water. it works very good on any non polished Aluminum.
Nathan
GT40K
427 Sideoiler
G930
Fuel injection
Nostalgia all the way!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I always use mineral spirits because it doesn't dry too fast but loosens almost anything. If you dry it with a clean rag or blow it for something like a tranny with all the webbing, etc. It will leave a clean dry finish. If I hit something really stubborn, I'll then use a judicious amount of laquer thinner.

I am not too bright and there may be a good reason not to do this, especially with a metal as porous as aluminum. So if I am doing the wrong thing, someone let me know, please! This is just how I have cleaned parts for years, but mostly steel or iron until recently.

Regards,
Lynn

HOW ABOUT STEAM CLEANING? IT SEEMS TO CUT THROUGH ALL KINDS OF GRIT AND GRIME. IT ALSO IS VERY FAST. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have had good luck cleaning stained and greasy aluminum with Orange hand cleaner, the type with the grit or pumice. I sometimes use a nylon bristle brush and have achieved an as cast finsh. Some clear satin hi-temp spray keeps the finish nice.

Vic

CAV40

Acetone on a rag works well. cleans real nice and dries rapidly. Don't get it on your painted surfaces.

Bob Lawrence, the guy who sold me my RF kit, actually went to the trouble of having the cast aluminum rear uprights powder coated to facilitate keeping them clean.

A trick I used on restoring motorcyles was to fill a half height 50 gallon drum with water and detergent. I would then boil the unassembled alloy engine cases. They come out looking like new. Trick is to skim all the crud off the top before you pull the parts up and out.
I would then treat the surfaces with clear alodyne to keep them from oxidizing.

Alodine is good stuff. Watch out with mineral spirits if you plan to use epoxy paint. If you're going to paint, use something like xylene or MEK.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Good point Pat. I should have added that before I apply any kind of paint or if I am going to bond something to it I always do a final pre-clean with acetone until a clean white rag stays clean.

Regards,
Lynn

I am involved in building rally cars, and we use Alibrite supplied by a U.K. company - Autosmart. They market all types of chemical consumables for the motor trade.
They should be in your local phone book.

Lynn,

Denatured alcohol does not leave a residue like acetone,

MEK, etc. As it evaporates completely, it leaves a totally

clean, dust free surface for painting.

Bill

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Some interesting variations there. I used Gunk, the beauty of Gunk is it is water soluble. I used it for my subaru engine I sprayed it on with an air gun, used a stipple brush for the really dirty bits, then hosed it down with a water spray (being careful to avoid filling anything vulnerable). Was amazed how well the aluminium shined up. I then went round all the linkages cables and throttle return springs etc with WD40.

Dave

Back